Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 09:17 AM

137 posts, read 149,515 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We would really appreciate any and all advice!

We are a family of 4, my children are 4 and 8. We live in a very nice town in Massachusetts but do not enjoy the cold winters. We are more the beach loving family that enjoys walks, BBQ, my husband runs, and we love camping.

We are thinking about a move South and came across the Charleston SC area (I have been once many many years ago) and I have only heard great things about the area.
We are NOT looking for a suburban area- we want beach towns or more of a rural low country vibe (suburbia is not our thing). We also want pretty decent schools, I did hear that the Charleston area has good schools but details are appreciated.

Is the area family friendly?
Do many people own and raise families there?

Our budget is 500K and I do see houses in certain areas that I like- looking for coastal, near a beach, not too suburban and decent schools are a must. Please help and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 09:34 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Lower James Island in a relatively undeveloped spot might be just the ticket. James Island schools are better than decent.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:53 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
Hi,

We would really appreciate any and all advice!

We are a family of 4, my children are 4 and 8. We live in a very nice town in Massachusetts but do not enjoy the cold winters. We are more the beach loving family that enjoys walks, BBQ, my husband runs, and we love camping.

We are thinking about a move South and came across the Charleston SC area (I have been once many many years ago) and I have only heard great things about the area.
We are NOT looking for a suburban area- we want beach towns or more of a rural low country vibe (suburbia is not our thing). We also want pretty decent schools, I did hear that the Charleston area has good schools but details are appreciated.

Is the area family friendly?
Do many people own and raise families there?

Our budget is 500K and I do see houses in certain areas that I like- looking for coastal, near a beach, not too suburban and decent schools are a must. Please help and thank you.
Most of the Charleston area is very family friendly and Charlestondata's suggestion of lower James Island might be as close as you'll find to match all of your criteria and still be within your budget. It is still mostly a suburban environment though. Johns Island is more rural (though changing rapidly) but the schools there aren't rated as highly as on James Isl for instance.

You can use sites like GreatSchools.org to get an idea of school quality but it's not always that accurate and should only be considered a starting point.

I'll send you a message with more info and searching this forum might be helpful as well.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:14 AM

Another thought is that you might look into Beaufort, SC. I am not as familiar with Beaufort (I've lived in Charleston 40 years) but I've heard good things about the schools and it's going to be less expensive than Charleston. It won't have all that Charleston has to offer though it does have a nice beach at Huntington State Park.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:33 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Another thought is that you might look into Beaufort, SC. I am not as familiar with Beaufort (I've lived in Charleston 40 years) but I've heard good things about the schools and it's going to be less expensive than Charleston. It won't have all that Charleston has to offer though it does have a nice beach at Huntington State Park.

Huntington State Park is near Myrtle Beach/Pawleys Island, about 150ish miles north of Beaufort.

Beaufort is close to either Hunting Island State Park or Edisto State Park.

Those parks are frequently confused. We completed the SC State Parks Challenge of visiting all 47 State Parks.

SC has beautiful, well-maintained beaches/state parks.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 7,967 times
I don’t know that you’re going to find what you’re looking for in charleston on that budget. I’m also not sure charleston is what you think it is. I don’t say that to be unkind or unwelcoming. The schools arent great here and your housing budget doesn’t really allow for the areas with the better schools. Someone suggested James island (which is where I live) and I that would be the best choice given your budget and requirements BUT you will be lucky to get a 3/2 around 1300-1500 sf for 500k. If that’s ok with you (it is for me but not for many others) there are other potential issues you must consider. One, even if you live on james island you probably not be hitting the beach as much as you think you will. The traffic and parking is a pain during the season, which gets longer ever year, it seems. Also outdoor activities here can be limited by the heat and humidity (not to mention pollen and insects) for a good chunk of the year, especially if you don’t have a boat. Then ofcourse there is the issue of jobs and cost of living. The COL here may be higher than you are expecting and the wages for many industries have not kept up with the COL. So unless you have a remote job you can keep at your current salary, you should expect to take a pay cut.

Lastly- if you do move here, rent and check out the area before you buy. Educate yourself on the flood maps, flood insurance, etc. And don’t trust real estate agents when they tell you that every home is “minutes from the beach and downtown.”

Old 12-31-2022, 09:41 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLolo View Post
I don’t know that you’re going to find what you’re looking for in charleston on that budget. I’m also not sure charleston is what you think it is. I don’t say that to be unkind or unwelcoming. The schools arent great here and your housing budget doesn’t really allow for the areas with the better schools. Someone suggested James island (which is where I live) and I that would be the best choice given your budget and requirements BUT you will be lucky to get a 3/2 around 1300-1500 sf for 500k. If that’s ok with you (it is for me but not for many others) there are other potential issues you must consider. One, even if you live on james island you probably not be hitting the beach as much as you think you will. The traffic and parking is a pain during the season, which gets longer ever year, it seems. Also outdoor activities here can be limited by the heat and humidity (not to mention pollen and insects) for a good chunk of the year, especially if you don’t have a boat. Then ofcourse there is the issue of jobs and cost of living. The COL here may be higher than you are expecting and the wages for many industries have not kept up with the COL. So unless you have a remote job you can keep at your current salary, you should expect to take a pay cut.

Lastly- if you do move here, rent and check out the area before you buy. Educate yourself on the flood maps, flood insurance, etc. And don’t trust real estate agents when they tell you that every home is “minutes from the beach and downtown.”
I have lived on James Island in the city of Charleston for over seven years. I never have had issues getting to Folly Beach and have never had issues parking there for free, but I have never decided to drive there at peak hours on the weekend. That would be dumb. I go early or late. No problems whatsoever that way.

James Island Charter High School (a public school) just earned a score of excellent on the South Carolina school report card. It always does.

There is not much in the way of rural settings on the island, but a determined house-buyer can still find houses with that type of vibe here for $500,000, at least not in a cookie-cutter-looking housing development.

Heat? Humidity? A/C. Yeah, no, don’t buy into a flood zone.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I have lived on James Island in the city of Charleston for over seven years. I never have had issues getting to Folly Beach and have never had issues parking there for free, but I have never decided to drive there at peak hours on the weekend. That would be dumb. I go early or late. No problems whatsoever that way.

James Island Charter High School (a public school) just earned a score of excellent on the South Carolina school report card. It always does.

There is not much in the way of rural settings on the island, but a determined house-buyer can still find houses with that type of vibe here for $500,000, at least not in a cookie-cutter-looking housing development.

Yeah James Island Charter is highly rated in SC- and SC is in the bottom of the barrel in terms of education in the US. And go see what’s for sale right now on james island for 500k or less. Not much.

Damn I think I know who you are from other social media just from that first line- because you always have to highlight that while you live on James island, you live in tbe city of charleston (rather than town of james island). Seriously dude- no one cares.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post

Yeah James Island Charter is highly rated in SC- and SC is in the bottom of the barrel in terms of education in the US. And go see what’s for sale right now on james island for 500k or less. Not much.

Damn I think I know who you are from other social media just from that first line- because you always have to highlight that while you live on James island, you live in tbe city of charleston (rather than town of james island). Seriously dude- no one cares.

Oh and the whole town is in a flood zone. But you gotta pay attention to the FEMA maps. That’s important for we people to know. There’s also some houses on the island that were built below minimum elevation that flood like hell and get passed from buyer to buyer. People gotta look out for that too. But do go on about how the simple solution is to “not buy in a flood zone.”

Old 01-01-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Huntington State Park is near Myrtle Beach/Pawleys Island, about 150ish miles north of Beaufort.

Beaufort is close to either Hunting Island State Park or Edisto State Park.

Those parks are frequently confused. We completed the SC State Parks Challenge of visiting all 47 State Parks.

SC has beautiful, well-maintained beaches/state parks.
Oops, yes, my mistake. I know that and I still mix them up at times. Thanks for the correction.
I wouldn't say Beaufort is close to Edisto Beach though. Unless you're in a boat... by car it's over an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area