Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,472 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is the problem

I am moving out, gave my thirty days notice, am not on a lease whatsoever. I gave my 30 days notice on the 16th of December, but the rent is due on the 10th of every month. Well I am moving out on the 10th of January, all my stuff will be completely gone on this day. But my roommate, the girl who owns the house wants me to still pay the rent! I thought since I wasnt on a lease at all and it was just verbal, I dont owe her anything....I dunno what to do!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
That depends on how your conscience is, you did stay there for ten days of the month, so you should pay one third of the rent and bills.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM

yeah but rent is due every month on the 10th so when i paid on december 10th a full month is january 10th and thats when im moving out

Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM

416 posts, read 1,632,793 times
i don't think you need to pay it if you are moving out on janurary 10th when the new month's rent is due. that is part of being a landlord or leasee (if you name was not on it), you gave her notice, she had to anticipate this happening. it is beyond your control.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:52 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,743 times
Have the two of you sat down to discuss your verbal agreement and that your prepaid month is up on the 10th? If you value your friendship ask how you can reach a compromise. Unfortunately, where money is concerned, often you end up departing as less than friends...unless both parties try to reach an agreement. In these hard economic times, your friend was probably counting on that rent money to pay bills and is afraid that she won't find anyone else to rent to. Maybe this will teach her to make future tenants commit to at least a 6-month lease so she's not left high and dry.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,538 times
Your rent is due "on" the 10th, or "by" the tenth? The first, and you're correct. The latter, and she's correct, partially. This is why leases are written down and have a whole code of laws attached to them. I'd follow SCBeaches advice and see what can be done to lessen the blow for both of you. Also, notice given on 12/16/08 of you're leaving on 1/10/09 is still shy of 30 days.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,042,439 times
You'd have to look at SC landlord/tenant law to be certain, but I think you are required to provide a 30 day notice to vacate - and as such, you'd be responsible for rent during the whole 30 day period *regardless* of whether you are physically living in the house or not.

In your case it seems like you would owe a pro-rated difference from the 10th to the 16th. I wouldn't let your friend strong-arm you into paying another full month of rent, but I think she may be right in asking you to pay for the full 30 day notice period.

Having a lease or not having a lease does not get you out of your rental obligation and I think I remember reading somewhere that one is required to provide a 30 day notice.

Also, I'd make sure you have your notice to vacate in writing - just in case. I'd also write on your final check - for the prorated amount - that it is your final rent payment and put the date you gave your 30 day notice in the memo section of the check.

Maybe there is some state office you could call to get some advice. At the least, I would see if I could locate SC landlord/tenant info online.

Disclaimer: I am not a real estate attorney or an expert on landlord/tenant rights, but I am currently a renter.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 PM

thanks for all your help guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area