Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:48 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyGirl View Post
But what does that say about the people who will not make friends with her because of it?

These are grown adults. And TEACHERS who are supposed to promote getting along with and making friends with people who are different.

Nice.
She is overbearing with it.....trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
I don't think since I've moved south I've said back home once accept for talking about my beloved alma mater Ohio State....seriously though, when you move to a different area, you know certain things will be different, so why complain....people are very welcoming in the south as long as you treat everyone w/ respect.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:21 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
No it isn't human nature, it is resistance to change, which is a behavior that can be changed if you don't resist that too..

Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No it isn't human nature, it is resistance to change, which is a behavior that can be changed if you don't resist that too..
Agreed, hence, the reason for my initial comment.

Transplants need to remember: You're the newbie here, not the locals. It's up to you to adapt, not the locals. K? K.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,754 times
Interesting take on it. I've lived in NYC for 29 of my almost 30 years... if I don't ever bring up any stories from things that happened in NYC in fear of angering the locals, I really won't have much to talk about.

Well, except for how I thought someone at Publix was stalking me when I brought my cart out to my car, turned around to confront him/deck him/whatever, and the poor guy said, "Miss, I just wanted to help you bring out your buggy!" I thought I was going to be mugged, but granted, it was my first shopping excursion, and I was a bit upset because my furniture hadn't arrived yet.

But, that's pretty much it! Just because people want to talk about stuff from their home town doesn't mean we are trying to take over the South. I guess I have a different opinion of it because "Back in NYC..." I was around many culturally diverse people, often from different countries, and everyone thought it was a treat when we would be regaled with stories from abroad.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:12 AM

I didn't say don't talk about things that happened up north, what we are saying is don't try to say well that isn't the way we did it up there with an attitude of it needs to be changed to that way.

I have lived here for nearly 25 years myself and I have run into this before....

I have also had several different jobs and you have to resist saying the same thing unless you were hired for the express purpose of implementing those changes.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:40 AM

192 posts, read 560,258 times
Are the "back home..." stories okay if they're used to explain why we left?

For example:
"Back home it took over 2 hours to get to a beach."
or
"Back home it is STILL &%*#& SNOWING!"
etc.

If back home were so much better, we'd all still be there

Old 04-24-2009, 07:54 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post

For example:
or
etc.

"It's so great to be here! Back home, we used to drive 2 hours to the beach!" Yeah, that's a-ok.

Remember, you chose to be here for a reason, and those reasons tend to pertain to this area!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post

For example:
or
etc.

Great examples....

Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post

I do look forward to being a new member of your community!
This tells me all I need to know. You will be fine. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area