Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:14 AM

125 posts, read 578,549 times

Advertisements

I am getting excited - It will be nice to be 15 minutes away from the beach in a smaller city - and I do love experiencing differernt cultures and ways of doing things - in fact, its what keeps life interesting.

I'll keep you posted on my preparations and arrival! BTW, do any of you participate in local meet up groups, or social gatherings? I've already signed up to volunteer at a couple local animal shelters and I do know someone with a boat! But I'm also into surfing (well at least learning how to), public healthcare, outdoor parties, etc. What are some local groups that some of you belong to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 AM

355 posts, read 1,449,491 times
I've been on the boards for over a year and in Charleston for over a year and I'm still amazed that it seems acceptable to some of you to tell another adult what is acceptable conversation.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM

26 posts, read 58,304 times
Do you have kids? If so I know of a couple local groups that may be of interest.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
I am getting excited - It will be nice to be 15 minutes away from the beach in a smaller city - and I do love experiencing differernt cultures and ways of doing things - in fact, its what keeps life interesting.

I'll keep you posted on my preparations and arrival! BTW, do any of you participate in local meet up groups, or social gatherings? I've already signed up to volunteer at a couple local animal shelters and I do know someone with a boat! But I'm also into surfing (well at least learning how to), public healthcare, outdoor parties, etc. What are some local groups that some of you belong to?

Can I be your friend then....I come down quite often to visit and help out my grandparents (Rock Hill is only 3 hrs away), and I don't know anyone w/ a boat...I'd love to go out on the harbor and go through the tidal creeks and rivers on one....

Also, way to go on the volunteering at an animal shelter...

Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Well, true blue Southerners are pretty frank and blunt people. We say what we mean and we mean what we say. There is nothing wrong with that, and it truly shouldn't be taken personally.

The change of moving would obviously make you nervous but Charleston is such a lovely, lovely place!
I hope it works out for you.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

92 posts, read 264,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No it isn't human nature, it is resistance to change, which is a behavior that can be changed if you don't resist that too..
That is ironic.

I mentioned this before, but Charleston is not a utopia. If we accepted everything and never challenged anything, there would be no change, innovation, or improvement in the world. If New Yorkers never complained, would we have bagel, deli, or NY style pizza here? Think of the inhumanity! There is no reason you cannot bring some of your 'comforts' with you while enjoying and adopting the local flair.

Now, there is a diplomatic way to bring these issues to light.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:42 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guttata View Post
That is ironic.

I mentioned this before, but Charleston is not a utopia. If we accepted everything and never challenged anything, there would be no change, innovation, or improvement in the world. If New Yorkers never complained, would we have bagel, deli, or NY style pizza here? Think of the inhumanity! There is no reason you cannot bring some of your 'comforts' with you while enjoying and adopting the local flair.

Now, there is a diplomatic way to bring these issues to light.

While it may not be a utopia for all, it certainly is for some

Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I don't think since I've moved south I've said back home once accept for talking about my beloved alma mater Ohio State....seriously though, when you move to a different area, you know certain things will be different, so why complain....people are very welcoming in the south as long as you treat everyone w/ respect.
Exactly! I know it's normal to talk about your home, where you came from, prior workplace, etc. to new people you meet. Everyone does it and I still do it from time to time. In my prior post I was referring to someone who constantlycomplains about things here and wants to tell us how we should be doing things...and actually ridicules Southern sayings, foods, mannerisms, etc. Everyone has tried to be nice to her and make her feel welcome, but after 9 months of this, her welcome is starting to wear out and people are starting to stay away from her. The funny thing is that even though she seems to hate everything that makes Charleston what it is, she plans on staying just to avoid snow and ice.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:27 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I didn't say don't talk about things that happened up north, what we are saying is don't try to say well that isn't the way we did it up there with an attitude of it needs to be changed to that way.

I have lived here for nearly 25 years myself and I have run into this before....

I have also had several different jobs and you have to resist saying the same thing unless you were hired for the express purpose of implementing those changes.
EXACTLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area