Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:25 AM

125 posts, read 578,648 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -
I'm relocating to Charleston in five weeks and I must tell you - I'm nervous. And excited. But more nervous. I've lived all over the country (NY, MI, NM, OR) but never lived in the South before (but have done a TON of research) - anyone recently relocate? Can you tell me of your experiences?

I do look forward to being a new member of your community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:58 PM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
Hi everyone -
I'm relocating to Charleston in five weeks and I must tell you - I'm nervous. And excited. But more nervous. I've lived all over the country (NY, MI, NM, OR) but never lived in the South before (but have done a TON of research) - anyone recently relocate? Can you tell me of your experiences?

I do look forward to being a new member of your community!
Don't come down here & spout, "Back where I'm from, we do things this way", or "why don't you have a (insert store, restaurant, etc) like we do back home", and you'll be ok.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 PM

125 posts, read 578,648 times
Default ummm -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Don't come down here & spout, "Back where I'm from, we do things this way", or "why don't you have a (insert store, restaurant, etc) like we do back home", and you'll be ok.
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I had no plans on doing that.
Anyone else...

Maybe I'm right to be nervous.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM

307 posts, read 768,540 times
lol Nothing like a warm southern weclome Tangerine! Let me know how it goes, we are hoping to move south next fall!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
You'll be fine !!!!!!!!!!. Natives are fine for the best part and us transplants (apparently that's what the locals call us)are huge in numbers and are no problem.

Well maybe not New York Yankees fans

Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM

87 posts, read 268,461 times
Don't be nervous!

Downtown has a cool vibe. If you've lived in larger cities, then you can usually get your fill from live theatre, shows, art festivals, pubs, restaurants, clubs, etc. in the downtown area. Public transportation or taxis aren't as great here (almost non-existent). But I think you'll really like this city (most do, when coming). Over 65% of people buying homes in the Charleston area are from out of state. So there are plenty of people that were in your shoes. The trick is to find a friend really quick that has a boat. Then just spend the summer evenings on the boat going to restaurants, or goofing off like I do.

There's plenty to do here to keep you busy. Pull up the "City Paper" online to see what's going on.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,676 times
Don't be nervous, there are idiots everywhere!

I moved from Southern California about a year ago. You're fine to say 'Back home we....' because there are so many transplants you will definitely get good lively and fun conversations going.

Most people are friendly, but definitely it's a different way of thinking and a different way of life.

Good luck, you'll be fine! PM if you need any help.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,763,641 times
Hmmmmmm, I really wouldn't recommend saying "Back home we....." unless you are with a group of transplants. We have a new teacher who moved here this school year from MI, and she must say that 5 - 10 times each day. It drives us crazy! "At my old school...", "Back in Michigan....", "Why don't you guys have......llike they do in Michigan?" I'm not a blueblood "local", but have lived here almost 26 years and I get tired of hearing it. She hasn't fit in well or made many friends because of it. If you do get the urge to say it, try to keep it to a minimum.

Do try local foods, local hangouts, local pastimes, etc. so that you can get a true feel for the area. Charleston is a wonderful place to live and is so rich in culture and history, which is what makes it unique! I hope you grow to love living here as much as I do!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM

355 posts, read 1,449,676 times
But what does that say about the people who will not make friends with her because of it?

These are grown adults. And TEACHERS who are supposed to promote getting along with and making friends with people who are different.

Nice.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
I don't care if you have moved from another state, another city or town or another school in the same area...you are going to say 'back there we did.........." It is human nature.

For newbies in any place -- there is an adjustment period. It's all in how you deliver your 'back home' stories.....Nobody likes to be insulted or told they are not as good as something else....

A southerner loves to hear that something in the south is better than back at the other place. :-))).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area