Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,097,122 times

Advertisements

The drive to the beach isn't the only thing...it's the drive to downtown. If you have to commute to downtown, Summerville is a tough location. We were all set to move into the area, husband got an apartment there and within a month was thinking there was no way we would want to be that far away from everything. He moved to Mount Pleasant and it takes him 20 minutes to get to work. And somehow sitting in traffic on the bridge seems to be tolerable with those views...sitting on 26...not the same.

You are right -- Dunes West is not much closer -- and hence the need to be off of Rifle Range Road. The 19 months of living, commuting, exploring -- and that's our very personal conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:55 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,097,122 times
Oh and I was so happy to see how quick it took us to get to James Island, the outlets, etc. from Mount Pleasant.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,211,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The drive to the beach isn't the only thing...it's the drive to downtown. If you have to commute to downtown, Summerville is a tough location. We were all set to move into the area, husband got an apartment there and within a month was thinking there was no way we would want to be that far away from everything. He moved to Mount Pleasant and it takes him 20 minutes to get to work. And somehow sitting in traffic on the bridge seems to be tolerable with those views...sitting on 26...not the same.

You are right -- Dunes West is not much closer -- and hence the need to be off of Rifle Range Road. The 19 months of living, commuting, exploring -- and that's our very personal conclusion.
That's why the commute and the needs of the individual need to be evaluated beforehand. If you can commute early and avoid the traffic, Summerville definitely has more bang for the buck. My husband works at SPAWAR, and he never hits traffic - plus he knows of local roads to get around.

It was our choice to choose nicer house/land/less pricey insurance over saving 15 mins to the beach/higher insurance/less house/land. We can make it to downtown in under a half hour - and while I absolutely love downtown, I haven't found much to do there aside from browsing the market and walking the battery. I have a few restaurants I like there, but I wish there were (or, I wish I knew of) more stuff going on down there.

It's not like NYC where I could go downtown and know stuff that was going on. And before the locals blast me for saying it - that's because, NYC is what it is, and I lived there my whole life, so I know for instance that the famous farmer's market is on Tuesdays and Thursdays, or when the San Gennaro festival is - that sort of thing. I have no knowledge of events like this in Charleston, so I didn't make it a real priority to be within ten minutes of the city. Not to mention, the commute of <30 mins is still better than any commute into NYC, so I don't feel deprived, lol.

Slight hijack - anyone know what there is to do in downtown, aside from eat at your favoite restaurant, the market, walking the battery, and doing a tour?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:56 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,360,187 times
Saturdays Market at Marion Square.....

Spoletto & Picelo Spoletto Festival......

And many others through out the year, pick up a 'City Paper' it is an ultra liberal local paper...

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 AM

459 posts, read 1,645,280 times
Mt Pleasant has a movie theatre with food and beverage service during the movie! A full service bar to boot. That's pretty cool.

It has a BBQ joint, a Hardees, a Walmart, a wing joint, a Chinese restaurant, and a Mexican restaurant. I think that covers it.

PC, I grew up in North Chuck and the rest of the family still calls it home. You're a pretty big supporter of North Chuck and that's fine, but you seem to be out to find fault with every other part of the area. What gives?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,375,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
You can do the same things in MtP as you can do in any small town across the US.

Most homes in this area (outside of MtP) are vastly overpriced in my opinion. What major road around Charleston isn't a parking lot at peak hours? And what new neighborhood isn't "cookie cutter" regardless where it's located?
I would say it's the Mt Pleasant homes that are vastly over priced (fact not opinion) in comparison to surrounding areas , and the only reason i can think of why, is that it's 15 minutes closer to the beach than all the surrounding towns.

All the other areas have some form of attraction , malls, restaurants, easy accesss to 26 and 526 for considerably a lot less money.

So what's the big deal about Mt Pleasant

Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM

817 posts, read 2,007,712 times
Gee you guys make me rethink Summerville as a possible location for us when we move to the Charleston area... ??

I knocked it out knowing full well... it will be more pricey in M.P. and J.I., D.I. but would accept that for what for what they offer...

But now wondering how much difference a price of a house and how much land and property taxes and insurances would be the difference ?

Please feel free to check out my post and comment.. thanks !

Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions

Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 AM

890 posts, read 4,332,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
That's why the commute and the needs of the individual need to be evaluated beforehand. If you can commute early and avoid the traffic, Summerville definitely has more bang for the buck. My husband works at SPAWAR, and he never hits traffic - plus he knows of local roads to get around.

It was our choice to choose nicer house/land/less pricey insurance over saving 15 mins to the beach/higher insurance/less house/land. We can make it to downtown in under a half hour - and while I absolutely love downtown, I haven't found much to do there aside from browsing the market and walking the battery. I have a few restaurants I like there, but I wish there were (or, I wish I knew of) more stuff going on down there.

It's not like NYC where I could go downtown and know stuff that was going on. And before the locals blast me for saying it - that's because, NYC is what it is, and I lived there my whole life, so I know for instance that the famous farmer's market is on Tuesdays and Thursdays, or when the San Gennaro festival is - that sort of thing. I have no knowledge of events like this in Charleston, so I didn't make it a real priority to be within ten minutes of the city. Not to mention, the commute of <30 mins is still better than any commute into NYC, so I don't feel deprived, lol.

Slight hijack - anyone know what there is to do in downtown, aside from eat at your favoite restaurant, the market, walking the battery, and doing a tour?
I agree, it is an individual decision. We do not have to commute so traffic was a non-issue for us. We chose to have the comforts we wanted in a home environment, which is where I spend most of my time, over quicker access to a place that I would rarely go or an occasional festival. Sure it is fun and exciting, at first, but Charleston's not that big, and once you've seen it all and walked the streets over and over again the excitement fades. The shops are pricey and touristy and the restaurants are too expensive to eat at regularly. We pretty much only go when there are visitors in town and we have to play tour guide.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,211,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqtravlr View Post
Mt Pleasant has a movie theatre with food and beverage service during the movie! A full service bar to boot. That's pretty cool.

It has a BBQ joint, a Hardees, a Walmart, a wing joint, a Chinese restaurant, and a Mexican restaurant. I think that covers it.
The movie thing (for me) while it's cool, I'm totally the person who sneaks her own candy into the theater, lol.

The rest, I've seen all of that in Summerville.

OleTom, I'll see if I can find an online version of that paper. I would definitely like to do some non-touristy stuff in downtown, just need to figure out what the city has to offer.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,079,400 times
Here ya go:

Charleston City Paper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area