Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM

121 posts, read 199,348 times

Advertisements

As someone who would like to move there one day, this thread makes me sad. Not so much that a lot of people there have guns, but that they apparently need them. I guess there's a whole other side to the area I did not see when I vacationed there recently. Would I be foolish and in the minority if I were to move there and not own a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
People that have guns here mostly have them because they want them, not need them....

No, there are plenty of Liberals here that believe that noone should have guns also, so you should fit in just fine....

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

121 posts, read 199,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
People that have guns here mostly have them because they want them, not need them....

No, there are plenty of Liberals here that believe that noone should have guns also, so you should fit in just fine....
Ok thanks. I'm far from liberal even though I'm from IL. And I totally support gun rights. Just assessing want vs. need, there is a difference to me.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,800,658 times
None of my coworkers have ever expressed the need to have a gun...

Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM

93 posts, read 215,456 times
I've talked to quite a few people here who carry handguns because they feel that they need them. There are a few areas, particularly in Charleston and North Charleston, that tend to make people nervous. And often folks don't have the option of avoiding those neighborhoods, because they either live or work there. Fear of violent crime and the precaution some folks take isn't so unusual for any urban area, big or small, in America. I don't own a gun, but I can understand if someone feels the need to do so.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 AM

12,933 posts, read 18,787,237 times
While violent crime went down across South Carolina in 2011, murders went up. Not surprisingly, the state's three largest counties had the most murders. And the state's violent crime rate is still above the national average.

SLED: SC Murders Up By 20+ Percent in 2011 | wltx.com

Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 AM

192 posts, read 409,742 times
As a person who plans to move to the Charleston area in a few months I wanted to chime in...one of the reasons we chose the area was because of the low crime rate! Coming from outside Baltimore we have seen our area go to hell in a hand basket. Shootings and killings in our city are a daily occurrence and that violence has spilled over into the burbs. Our once bucolic area now has stabbings, robberies and murders. I won't even go to the mall in our area if it's getting towards dusk because there are "gangs" of young people that hang out there for no good reason and there have been several armed assaults and robberies right outside The Cheesecake Factory...sad indeed. So, as someone said before, it's all about where you are coming from...in my opinion, if you want to be near a vibrant city with all of it's cultural benefits (on this coast anyway) you have to put up with the crime that comes along with it and stay safe and aware of your surroundings at all times.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM

870 posts, read 1,679,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The secret is not going where the crime is.....

Stay away from N. Chuck, upper King and Walterboro....

OTC,

When you refer to "upper king", is this past the Virginia on King restaurant, the bar called Closed for Business and that area? It seems that since I have been here (last spring), that area has really grown. Is that part of King St still considered "dangerous"?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Yes way past Closed for Business. In fact that area around Closed for Business has become a very active restaurant/bar scene. Please correct me folks if I'm wrong but most of the violent or gun crimes are not random acts of violence against innocent bystanders. It is usually gang related or things like that. Not saying stuff doesn't happen....stuff happens everywhere, even in the best of towns.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
All those shootings -- none of them are random acts of violence -- they are usually family squabbles, gang related (probably drugs)...so stay away from angry family members that have a gun and don't do drugs.......well don't buy and sell drugs.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area