Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM

183 posts, read 356,808 times

Advertisements

The crime thing is overblown. Back in 2005 I spent a lot of time outside of the house, especially at night. Drove around North Charleston and parts of downtown at all hours of the night and never felt in danger. Not too long after I met my girlfriend I showed her the narrow house on America Street at dusk after we ate somewhere. She was nervous and I said what are they going to do, shoot up my truck for no reason? lol

And it always amazes me the amount of college kids who live off Nassau St. and other areas around there because yeah, it can be a crime-ridden area because a lot of poor people live there. But for the most part people aren't targeted unless they do something stupid. Which can be the case anywhere.

I've only felt really unsafe one time in Charleston, and that was in an old neighborhood off Harbor View Rd. when I went to deliver some documents to a client. I had people approach my car, but I just left and he came by the office to get them. Turns out Geico was surveilling his house and he told his neighbors to chase them off or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,334,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
OTC,

When you refer to "upper king", is this past the Virginia on King restaurant, the bar called Closed for Business and that area? It seems that since I have been here (last spring), that area has really grown. Is that part of King St still considered "dangerous"?
I haven't been there since before you where there last so I really don't know....

Most of the shooting are gang/drug related but there are also roberies and other random acts so be aware.....

Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,012,658 times
It's all relative - depends where you are coming from - as someone else on this board said. If you are coming from Baltimore or Atlanta, yeah, it will be better or par for the course. Shootings, muggings, burglaries, home invasions - same old, same old.

If you come from a small city like I do where there is no crime - yes, these places do exist, you can look it up - Newburyport, MA - then it will be a shock and you will have to decide if the pros - nice weather, great city (otherwise), beaches - outweigh having to carry a gun - really???

I'm not sure why it is, and I will likely get blasted over this but am only stating fact - that there is much more crime in the South and Southeast than other places. Everyone says it's due to poverty, but that is not true. Poverty doesn't make people criminals. There are plenty of "poor" people that don't steal or rob people at gunpoint. Same argument with the economy. It doesn't "make" people do those things, and there are a lot of people out of work that don't resort to crime.

What I find sad is the acceptance of it. If we all keep saying "it's just the way it is - crime is everywhere" we are giving up and accepting it, and it will never change. It's NOT the way it is. And it's NOT the way it should be.

When people go about their business grocery shopping or getting gas, or going to the mall, they shouldn't have to worry about being killed or held up by a robber with a gun. When they go to sleep at night or are away at work, they shouldn't have to worry about someone breaking into their house.

It's one thing to have gang-related violence in pockets of "bad" sections. That's pretty much avoidable. But if you look at the crime maps, you can see burlaries and robberies, car thefts and break-ins and thefts scattered around everywhere - lots of them.

https://www.crimereports.com/

Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,661 times
Perhaps you're right. Some of us have lived around major metro areas where shootings are measured by the dozens per weekend, and many hundreds every year. I don't carry a gun (yet). Most of the time, but absolutely not all of the time, you can avoid situations by paying attention.

That being said, you're upset, you decry the violence and it is terrible.

What is your proposal to stop it?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
We've been in that area and it's fine. Hipsters enjoying some good food and drink!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 AM

When people go about their business grocery shopping or getting gas, or going to the mall, they shouldn't have to worry about being killed or held up by a robber with a gun. When they go to sleep at night or are away at work, they shouldn't have to worry about someone breaking into their house.

I do not EVER worry about any of that stuff and have never felt threatened in 16 years of living in the southeast (suburbs of ATL and now Mt. Pleasant).

The areas aren't areas you would go to -- there is no reason to be afraid.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:11 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,012,658 times
That's where I fail. I don't have one. And what I meant to say was VIOLENT crime is not everywhere. My city has it's share of drunk & disorderly, & someone stole my camera out of my car because I left it unlocked on a public street. But shootings & burglaries & robberies & home invasions don't happen here. Nor do they happen in bigger towns right next to Boston.

Except to have people not accept it. That is the first step. If you accept it you do nothing - but buy a gun. Perhaps not a bad thing.

If it is not acceptable, change will happen. People will be willing to pay for more police. People will pay attention to sentencing. It's the people that live here that will change it. Otherwise the people that can't stand as it worsens will eventually leave & that will cause housing prices to fall & e eventually you have another Baltimore which would be such a shame for such a beautiful great city.

It's no different than the schools. You can just say "the schools are bad" & pay for private school or move where they are good. Or you can demand accountability in teachers & performance reviews & things that over time make a difference.

I don't have the answers. I just know acceptance is NOT the answer..

That's my soapbox for the week. Ready for the flame throwing to begin!!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,661 times
No flames. The challenge is real. I've given up. You have not. Give me something to work with.
Soon I will likely carry a gun. So much responsibility.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM

You are comparing the bedroom community of Newburypoint to downtown North Charleston and a small area of Charleston city.

That's like comparing your town to Boston......

Most of us live in bedroom communities of Charleston and North Charleston. Crime rates are low, we make sure our municipal authorities keep it that way.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
OTC,

When you refer to "upper king", is this past the Virginia on King restaurant, the bar called Closed for Business and that area? It seems that since I have been here (last spring), that area has really grown. Is that part of King St still considered "dangerous"?
No way. That far south on King is fine. Things start getting sketchy up past Spring Street. Then up past the 26 overpass it's a little more sketchy. But, like others have said, Upper King is becoming more and more a weird mixture of hipster bars and low-income housing. I go over there once a week during the day. I wouldn't go over there at night unless I had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area