Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Charleston but now in Atlanta. Chattanooga is just less than 2 hours North of where I live in the metro area, and I go up there frequently. Nice choice for a smaller thriving city.

It's actually strangely a bit like Charleston, too. Roughly the same size, sits on a river surrounded by mountains, and even has a main street with a black iron clock that sits in front of an old Woolworth storefrontage - just like Capital Street. Almost creepy - it's kind of like being in a Charleston from an alternate reality universe, only the women have bigger hair and people have twangs. LOL

Chattanooga's advantage over Charleston is that it's only two hours from 5 million people in metro Atlanta, 2.5 million in metro Nashville, and some odd number in Knoxville, so they get the benefit of lots of "day trip" tourists who go there for the day to visit their Aquarium and other attractions. A constant flow of tourism dollars, and especially in harder times like this, people from those larger cities look for closer places to go even more than before. So an arts/crafts type small business stands a better chance of doing well there than most other cities of its size.

Good luck with your future there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM

180 posts, read 352,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Chattanooga's advantage over Charleston is that it's only two hours from 5 million people in metro Atlanta, 2.5 million in metro Nashville, and some odd number in Knoxville,

I would call this a disadvantage...

Old 12-09-2008, 01:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyconn View Post
I would call this a disadvantage...

Well yeah, it's a disadvantage in terms of traffic, crowds, and even "spillover crime". But my reference is to the ability for a touristy-oriented small business to thrive. Arts, crafts, hand-made items, etc. Places like that have a better chance of surviving or even doing extremely well when close to so many major cities.

That's Charleston's one disadvantage. Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Columbus, Charlotte... they are all a minimum of 3.5 hours driving time away from downtown Charleston. They are out of what some in the tourism trade call "day trip range". You can't come down from those areas to Charleston in the morning, have a full day of sight seeing, and have reasonable time to get home by the end of the day again. When an area is 2 hours or less driving distance, people will get up, go there, have lunch, spend money and sight see, then drive home in time for dinner. This is where Chattanooga gets an advantage because they have millions of people from three markets who can do this.

Don't get me wrong - there actually ARE advantages to being a little more isolated. Chattanooga gets a fair amount of spillover crime from Atlanta. Atlanta has been and still is growing at 55,000 to 90,000 people PER YEAR in the metro area, and one day, even if it's 25 years from now, Chattanooga will pretty much be part of metro Atlanta due to our sprawl. Not good for them. In that respect, Charleston has an advantage because no other larger market can encroach on the city and "take it over".

Still, it would be nice to see Charleston come up with some sort of attraction that would cause people to make the trip out of their way there to see it (and spend money). Doesn't have to be an Aquarium - just something. Not sure what though.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
I think huntington is in a better position for that to occur. Charleston is more like the central hub of law and medical facilities. I'd rather they didn't go the tourist route because it's just too fickle a crowd and there's an innate professionalism that belongs here. I nicknamed Charleston the gray lady because there's a stately quality quietly running in the background.

I'd prefer to see University of Charleston expand graduate and doctoral programs, as well as striving for higher ranks in quality graduates. More depth and breadth that enables graduates to step into the workforce with confidence.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,974 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiparker View Post
What Charleston has going for it is potential, and certainly needs more young creatives moving here to make change happen. I just moved here from Austin, TX and people thought I was crazy. However, if you are entrepreneurs, this is the type of place you want to be. It's large enough to be inspiring, yet small enough to really make an impact. I'll share my experiences with you if you're interested. There are some great people here doing some very cool things.
After hearing that we may be moving from San Diego to WV I was really nervous and trying to empower myself with knowledge on this site! I have been a stylist for 7 years and was very nervous until I read your post. I think this place may be neat for those creative people like myself. The only think I'm nervous about are schools...I have a 5 year old and a baby. Any ideas?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 AM

396 posts, read 923,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirlpdx View Post
After hearing that we may be moving from San Diego to WV I was really nervous and trying to empower myself with knowledge on this site! I have been a stylist for 7 years and was very nervous until I read your post. I think this place may be neat for those creative people like myself. The only think I'm nervous about are schools...I have a 5 year old and a baby. Any ideas?
We had a stylist from San Diego in Charleston. He was happy over here.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM

19 posts, read 34,334 times
I am a Realtor in both Charleston and Huntington,WV and have lived in both cities(Huntington for 10 years and now back to Charleston on the east end) It is all a matter of what you want to do. Charleston seems to be coming back more so in regards to culture.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 PM

25 posts, read 107,527 times
Default I would be right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNida View Post
I am a Realtor in both Charleston and Huntington,WV and have lived in both cities(Huntington for 10 years and now back to Charleston on the east end) It is all a matter of what you want to do. Charleston seems to be coming back more so in regards to culture.
If only I could sell my house here.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM

19 posts, read 34,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAnne View Post
If only I could sell my house here.
Well, the market here in WV isn't bad. I do really well and stay busy representing buyers and sellers. Some agents business may be slow but sometimes it's a matter of how much you put into it. I network well and I am all over the internet, so I am blessed. Although I have yet to see your home nor do I know anything about it, the 4 biggest determining factors(and i'm sure your agent has gone over them with you) are PRICE: Is your home priced correctly and by what the market says, not by what you think or what your agent thinks. Go with what the market says, for what people are buying is what determines price. I price my listings at the top of the sold homes and bottom of the active homes. CONDITION: Is your home in good condition and updated like what it is in competition with? If not, then price can always reflect the work that needs done. LOCATION: You know the blah blah blah statement , Location, Location, Location
Lastly, MARKETING! Have a look at what I do: Services for Huntington wv / Charleston wv area sellers at NETBRET.COM

I hope your house sells and you get on your way! If not, call me!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Charleston is the a Great place and needs people to enjoy it!!!

Come on down!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston