Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:36 PM

841 posts, read 2,476,611 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses..I had no idea there were so many different organizations to donate to! I've only heard of Salvation Army and GoodWill. Maybe I can divide up my stuff and donate a little to everyone! With so many people in need, I feel like that's the least I can do.

I also have 3 kids bicycles - do these organization usually take bikes also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 911 times
Full disclosure: I work for Goodwill of the Southern Piedmont, that covers the greater Charlotte area. When you donate to us, your donations are sold in our stores -- and 90 cents of every dollar from those purchases go directly into OUR community funding job training programs and helping local people find work. So your donations do benefit your community in a very direct way.

Here's a video about how the process works: [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/GoodwillSP[/url]

Thanks for thinking of us! The demand for our services is greater than ever now that there are so many people in our community that are unemployed and seeking work.

~Aleigh at Goodwill

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
Thanks for all the responses..I had no idea there were so many different organizations to donate to! I've only heard of Salvation Army and GoodWill. Maybe I can divide up my stuff and donate a little to everyone! With so many people in need, I feel like that's the least I can do.
There are any number of charities in the area (as have been mentioned) and I think that your donations will help no matter which you donate to or how you split up your donations.

And don't forget to maintain a list of what was donated so you can write off your donations on your 2010 taxes.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,611 times
You're right...it feels good to do something to help. It will also feel good to get rid of a lot of things around the house that just collects dust. I even have the kids and the husband going thru their belongings trying to see what they can donate.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 PM

229 posts, read 573,969 times
Goodwill is great for items, including the bikes. Salvation Army also sells in their stores but they also collect (clothing, blankets, etc.) for their shelters.

They always give me a form when I donate, for tax purposes.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

905 posts, read 3,455,646 times
Here is a Goodwill story for you. Back when I worked for an airline a gentleman came up to the ticket counter and bought a 1st class round trip ticket with a Goodwill credit card. So I would recommend anyone but Goodwill!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Here is a Goodwill story for you. Back when I worked for an airline a gentleman came up to the ticket counter and bought a 1st class round trip ticket with a Goodwill credit card. So I would recommend anyone but Goodwill!
I'm sure there are stories that could be told of bad people with any large organization. That doesn't mean they don't deserve donations. Its not like this one man is the one getting all your donations. I always give all my small stuff/clothes to the Goodwill since I can just drop it off to the truck at the Concord Mills parking lot.

Although I'm not a big fan of the Salvation Army after hearing that officers get kicked out of the organization if they marry someone who is not also an officer. I do not agree with any policy that dictates who someone can and cannot marry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte