Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times

Advertisements

For Lake Lure I have a 3 yr old in tow:

is the hiking and falls reasonable for him?
whats the lake swimming set-up like?
guided boar tour worth it?

He's typically a trooper, but I don't want to get 1/2 way along a trail and/or sign-up for a tour that won't keep him interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 AM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

He's typically a trooper, but I don't want to get 1/2 way along a trail and/or sign-up for a tour that won't keep him interested.
We have been many times. In fact, I have pictures on my desktop right now of the kids standing on the top of the rock with lake lure in the background spanning several years.

My opinion - the actual hike to the falls might be too much. Last time we were there, there were two trails: one has a ton of stairs, the other has a steep drop. When they were younger, we just took the elevator to the top of the rock and skipped taking the youngest on a hike. Going by pictures taken at the falls at the end of the hike, 6 was the youngest any made the trek.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:

Hi Mikey, glad you are considering this awesome day trip - one of my faves!

With a 3 year old you want the Hickory Nut Falls Trail As long as you can carry him over a few spots, or if he gets tired, you'd be fine. Once we even took a stroller on that trail - used it about half the time, when my "baby" was 15 months old. GEEZ, can't believe I just remembered that, as he's turning 21 next week!

When your son is older do go back and do the Skyline-Cliffs Trail - IT IS AWESOME and one of my faves, but a bit too harrowing with kids under 7. In fact, there have been a couple of tragedies there over the years with toddlers

However, do take the neat elevator ride up to the top and see the viewing area. The elevator opens up into the gift shop - so be prepared for all the eye candy, lol - but that is part of the fun for the kids

As far as Lake Lure, there is a wonderful swimming area there with lifeguards and a little beach - you'd really enjoy it

Here is a pic for you of the beach and swimming area. It was taken during the winter, but you can still see how nice it is!

Last edited by lovesMountains; 07-16-2010 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: to add pic

Old 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hi Mikey, glad you are considering this awesome day trip - one of my faves!

With a 3 year old you want the Hickory Nut Falls Trail As long as you can carry him over a few spots, or if he gets tired, you'd be fine. Once we even took a stroller on that trail - used it about half the time, when my "baby" was 15 months old. GEEZ, can't believe I just remembered that, as he's turning 21 next week!

When your son is older do go back and do the Skyline-Cliffs Trail - IT IS AWESOME and one of my faves, but a bit too harrowing with kids under 7. In fact, there have been a couple of tragedies there over the years with toddlers

However, do take the neat elevator ride up to the top and see the viewing area. The elevator opens up into the gift shop - so be prepared for all the eye candy, lol - but that is part of the fun for the kids

As far as Lake Lure, there is a wonderful swimming area there with lifeguards and a little beach - you'd really enjoy it

Here is a pic for you of the beach and swimming area. It was taken during the winter, but you can still see how nice it is!
That is awesome - thanks... What about the lake "guided tour" boat rides? Worth it?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
That is awesome - thanks... What about the lake "guided tour" boat rides? Worth it?

I think so Though if you want to do Chimney Rock, swim and a boat ride you might want to consider staying over a night, lol!

For about $160 you can stay across from the lake and walk to it for swimming, or several restaurants for a meal.
http://www.lodgeonlakelure.com/

Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
If you are at Lake Lure on a Sunday the 1927 inn does a great brunch

Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think so Though if you want to do Chimney Rock, swim and a boat ride you might want to consider staying over a night, lol!

For about $160 you can stay across from the lake and walk to it for swimming, or several restaurants for a meal.
Lodge on Lake Lure
Thanks for the hotel tip...

I was thinking the park OR lake beach/boat tour. Reasonable to do either on a day trip?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times
Hanging Rock State Park. There is a lake with a beach and some trails. I only went once briefly so I really cant tell you much about it. I was with my cousin who is disabled and can not get around easily. Maybe someone on here can tell you more.
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Hanging Rock State Park

Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the hotel tip...

I was thinking the park OR lake beach/boat tour. Reasonable to do either on a day trip?

With a 3 year old I think one or the other is best for just a day trip and would be a lot of fun

Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,783,191 times
We have also gone to Lake Lure with young children. There is a lot to do. The view from Chimney Rock is beautiful. My kids love the beach and the boat ride. Then we go to Larkin on the Lake for dinner and look at the fish and turtles by the docks while we wait for our dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte