Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM

68 posts, read 163,590 times

Advertisements

I just paid $11,000 cash for a 2005 uplander and I want to put it on the road to make sure everything is ok. I plan on taking my kids to the mountains but don't know where. I want them to see a great view and have alittle fun. I don't want to spend alot, I paid cash for the vehicle because I don't have a steady job. I plan on leaving on Sat morning and coming home that night. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 PM

187 posts, read 460,554 times
I personally like the Boone and Bowling Rock areas...Tons of great views and outdoorsy things to see and do there...I'm not sure how expensive it would be up there this time of year tho,But as long as you don't go around any holidays it usually isn't to bad,or to crowded either...Grandfathers Mtn and the Bowling Rock are two great things to check out there..Even tho you do gotta pay to hike up Grandfathers Mtn..Its still something thats worth checking out

Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,964 times
^ I think you mean Blowing Rock, not Bowling Rock, although that one sounds more fun. haha

I live 30 minutes from Boone now and it is ok, but if you want real outdoorsy type stuff you can head up to Stone Mountain State Park. It has great trails, some water falls to play in, and you can even hike up to the top of the mountain for an AWESOME view if you are feeling up to it. There are "easy" ways to get to the top and on fine walking trails at that.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout007 View Post
I just paid $11,000 cash for a 2005 uplander and I want to put it on the road to make sure everything is ok. I plan on taking my kids to the mountains but don't know where. I want them to see a great view and have alittle fun. I don't want to spend alot, I paid cash for the vehicle because I don't have a steady job. I plan on leaving on Sat morning and coming home that night. Any ideas?
I highly recommend you take the 90 minute drive to the Lake Lure area and take your kids to Chimney Rock Park. The views from the top are fantastic, and getting up there is half the fun This is a very easy day trip.

About Chimney Rock Near Lake Lure, NC

Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 PM

187 posts, read 460,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
^ I think you mean Blowing Rock, not Bowling Rock, although that one sounds more fun. haha

I live 30 minutes from Boone now and it is ok, but if you want real outdoorsy type stuff you can head up to Stone Mountain State Park. It has great trails, some water falls to play in, and you can even hike up to the top of the mountain for an AWESOME view if you are feeling up to it. There are "easy" ways to get to the top and on fine walking trails at that.

Opps,Yeah i meant Blowing rock...And yeah Stone Mountain Park is nice,But thats in Ga...Atleast the one i'm talking about is anyways...The post said in NC and Boone and Blowing Rock are my two fav mountain towns,But really any place in the mountains of NC and TN isn't a bad choice...Mount Mitchell is a nice option as well...Afterall it is the highest point east of the mighty Mississippi

Old 07-16-2010, 08:02 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
Opps,Yeah i meant Blowing rock...And yeah Stone Mountain Park is nice,But thats in Ga...Atleast the one i'm talking about is anyways...The post said in NC and Boone and Blowing Rock are my two fav mountain towns,But really any place in the mountains of NC and TN isn't a bad choice...Mount Mitchell is a nice option as well...Afterall it is the highest point east of the mighty Mississippi
You aren't from around here are you, lol??

Stone Mt State Park, near Sparta NC is an excellent suggestion.

stone mt nc - Google Search

Old 07-16-2010, 08:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I highly recommend you take the 90 minute drive to the Lake Lure area and take your kids to Chimney Rock Park. The views from the top are fantastic, and getting up there is half the fun This is a very easy day trip.

+1 90 mins to Lake Lure & Chimney Rock and they can swim in the lake.
Beautiful, cheap, and close.

View from the top of CR recently:

Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,137,971 times
Another vote for Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. Absolutely beautiful at every turn, and an easy day trip. Have fun!

Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,773 times
Quote:
Stone Mt State Park, near Sparta NC is an excellent suggestion.

stone mt nc - Google Search
How beautiful! We are going to the commercialized Stone Mountain this weekend. But, I will definitely plan to visit this one to counteract all the urbanization of the GA one.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:31 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,773 times
Quote:

We've been going there since my youngest was 4. It's one of our favorite places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte