Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When is Whole Foods coming to Charlotte??
Why do you think WF is not in Charlotte? 0 0%
If WF comes to Charlotte- -will you switch from your current store to WF? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

you can buy organic items at Harris Teeter. I just bought
organic bananas, Fuze , Crenshaw
and a bunch of Healthy items since I'm kind of force myself
to take care of what is given to me.
I just bought about 300 dollars at this Harris Teeter on healthy
food besides Harris Teeter is local they provide enough
they are local. This is another instance of someone coming in and trying to change the way things are or maybe Im sure
Whole Foods see that they already have to much competition.

Your prerogative but if one store is a deal beaker for you. Good Luck.
Spoiler
shallow way of thinking

I chose to move to an area that there is no grocery store or Walmart.

Yes only reason I moved where I am at is because we dont have a Walmart.
They are in process of Building our first department store and it only store besides
an Antique store.

Everyone else who open minded where they shop

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-18-2010 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Farmer's markets and other local sources are a far better option than Whole Foods, or even Earth Fare. We do like Earth Fare, though.

On another note, we bought a cucumber, a zucchini, a red and a green pepper at the farmer's market (all organic and local) for less than one organic pepper would cost at Harris Teeter. Something to think about...

Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 AM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Agree on farmer's markets, but you can't get everything there. We regularly buy meat from Fisher Farms and Profitt Family Farms, seafood from the seafood guy at the Atherton Mills market, and lots of veggies and fruits...plus bread from Duke's Breads, coffee from Monk's Beans, etc.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Agree on farmer's markets, but you can't get everything there. We regularly buy meat from Fisher Farms and Profitt Family Farms, seafood from the seafood guy at the Atherton Mills market, and lots of veggies and fruits...plus bread from Duke's Breads, coffee from Monk's Beans, etc.
Here's the Proffitt Family Farm website. Organic Beef Grass fed beef All Natural Beef

Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 AM

525 posts, read 1,803,699 times
No you can't get everything but most htings you can. I then buy in bulk at EarthFare, rice, beans, sugar, flour (or get it at HT) and I buy pasta at HT along with other things. I cook from scratch b/c even though something is "organic" if it is processed like organic poptarts it is still bad for you. It doesn't matter that it is organic it is still junk food.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:01 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwilliamsjr1 View Post
Earthfare is actually owned by Whole Foods
I don't think so. From Earthfare's website
Quote:
Our Humble Roots The year – 1975. The place – Asheville, North Carolina. The man – Roger Derrough.

Mr. Derrough was fed up with two things: processed foods and a lack of healthy, fresh options. So, that’s why he started Earth Fare. But, it wasn’t called Earth Fare back then. Back then, it was called Dinner for the Earth. Located in a 1200 square foot building on North Merrimon Avenue, in Asheville, Dinner for the Earth eventually moved downtown to Broadway and I-240 in the 80’s.

Then, in 1993 the name was changed to Earth Fare, and a year later the store made its final move to the Westgate Shopping Center. Now, with 19 stores in five states (and more to come), Earth Fare employs over 1,200 employees and provides healthy and natural food options to its loyal customers – just like Mr. Derrough originally intended.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM

128 posts, read 394,706 times
Default Thanks for the help!

OK everyone- - maybe not a deal breaker moving to Charlotte, but organic is a way of life for us for fruits and veggies- - we juice everyday and local or not, convential vegetables and fruits (see the EWG website on the dirty dozen of what is imperative to eat organic) we try to avoid.

Thanks so much for the alternatives. We are coming down in September and will check out Earthfare and the others. We have Trader Joe's in NJ and it is not my cup of tea. Did not realize the number of farmer's market's which is the cheapest option. Unfortunately, the farmer's markets do not have organic in the part of NJ where we live.

OK, everyone- -now that Charlote is on the list (whew!) we are running out of places- -it is Sarasota, Fla vs. Charlotte/Ft Mill- - we are in the process of comparinging expenses; does anyone know of a good place to put down roots for retirment not far from Charlotte (30 mins or less) with the exception of Sun Carolina Lakes 55+ community. Would greatly appeciate

Thanks, great board for info!!

Regards,
SC

Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I am surprised Charlote doesn't have a Whole Foods yet. There is definitely a market for it. Even with Earth Fare, Harris Teeter, Trader Joe's, Kroger, Food Lion, Lowe's Food, and Fresh Market the Whole Foods in Raleigh is widely popular and now a second Whole Foods is currently being built in North Raleigh (and Cary, Durham, and Chapel Hill each have a Whole Foods as well.)

I agree that Farmer's markets are the best, but they are local (which is great) but also means they can only sell what is in season locally. For example you can't buy organic strawberries at a NC farmer's market in December, but you can at Whole Foods. Besides their is more to whole foods than organic produce.

Earth Fare is a good runner up to Whole Foods, but doesn't have quite as many offerings. I'm sure Charlotte will eventually get a Whole foods, but I wouldn't use the absence of one now as a reason not to move to such a nice place.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM

206 posts, read 514,184 times
Default Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I am surprised Charlote doesn't have a Whole Foods yet. There is definitely a market for it. Even with Earth Fare, Harris Teeter, Trader Joe's, Kroger, Food Lion, Lowe's Food, and Fresh Market the Whole Foods in Raleigh is widely popular and now a second Whole Foods is currently being built in North Raleigh (and Cary, Durham, and Chapel Hill each have a Whole Foods as well.)

I agree that Farmer's markets are the best, but they are local (which is great) but also means they can only sell what is in season locally. For example you can't buy organic strawberries at a NC farmer's market in December, but you can at Whole Foods. Besides their is more to whole foods than organic produce.

Earth Fare is a good runner up to Whole Foods, but doesn't have quite as many offerings. I'm sure Charlotte will eventually get a Whole foods, but I wouldn't use the absence of one now as a reason not to move to such a nice place.
Agree 100%. I like the Farmer's markets but they can't match the selection at Whole Foods -not just the fresh fruits and veggies it's also the herbs, nuts, gluten-free foods and dietary alternatives that you find at W F and to a lesser extent, Earthfare.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Sandy this would make a great poll thread.
SANDY
Spoiler
Then submit it whoever is leading.dm me about assisting
you if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyart View Post

OK everyone- - maybe not a deal breaker moving to Charlotte, but organic is a way of life for us for fruits and veggies- - we juice everyday and local or not, convential vegetables and fruits (see the EWG website on the dirty dozen of what is imperative to eat organic) we try to avoid.

Thanks so much for the alternatives. We are coming down in September and will check out Earthfare and the others. We have Trader Joe's in NJ and it is not my cup of tea. Did not realize the number of farmer's market's which is the cheapest option. Unfortunately, the farmer's markets do not have organic in the part of NJ where we live.

OK, everyone- -now that Charlote is on the list (whew!) we are running out of places- -it is Sarasota, Fla vs. Charlotte/Ft Mill- - we are in the process of comparinging expenses; does anyone know of a good place to put down roots for retirment not far from Charlotte (30 mins or less) with the exception of Sun Carolina Lakes 55+ community. Would greatly appeciate

Thanks, great board for info!!

Regards,
SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte