Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When is Whole Foods coming to Charlotte??
Why do you think WF is not in Charlotte? 0 0%
If WF comes to Charlotte- -will you switch from your current store to WF? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree that Farmer's markets are the best, but they are local (which is great) but also means they can only sell what is in season locally. For example you can't buy organic strawberries at a NC farmer's market in December, but you can at Whole Foods.
Strawberries in December? There is no way that those are coming from anywhere in the US. I'd hate to see how many thousands of miles those had to come just because a seasonal fruit wasn't good enough. Besides, eating strawberries year round just ruins the excitement of summer and all the fruits that come with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 PM

525 posts, read 1,805,039 times
I eat seasonally too and I wouldn't dream of buying strawberries in December b/c they taste gross..I am so used to fresh produce those, blueberries, tomatoes, corn and a few other itesm are all seasonal and they aren't purchased in the off season.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 PM

525 posts, read 1,805,039 times
I guess I don't do all that stuff b/c I make my own bread and all. I don't eat out of season for th emost part and we keep it simple. We buy our bulk foods there (rice, bulgur, quinoa, sugar and spices and herbs or home economist) but other than that...as far as the dirty dozen goes..since some things we only eat in season and a little during the year I don't worry about them as much for example strawberries...I eat them maybe 3 weeks out of the year and that is it. Apples we eat most of the winter so we do buy them organic....and organic stuff that is picked before being ripe and possibly from other countries (china..) you are missing alot nutritionally anyways.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Spoiler
Who has the best whole breads?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
I get the eating seasonally thing. I just used strawberries as an example. But there are a lot of other things many people do eat year round that you can't purchase at local farmers markets year round (like many cool weather crops (think leafy greens) which only do well in NC certain times of the year) or anything citrus. Boy wouldn't it be great if you could grow grapefruit in NC!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,729 times
To answer the OP's question..we were supposed to get WF a few years ago-there was a location announced and everything. Then a year or 2 later the location was changed. Now it is completely off the table. I used to want a WF, but with Earth Fare being a semi-local store I am happy to support them. They have everything you would want, just not the variety. {IMO}

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
.... But there are a lot of other things many people do eat year round that you can't purchase at local farmers markets year round (like many cool weather crops (think leafy greens) which only do well in NC certain times of the year) or anything citrus. Boy wouldn't it be great if you could grow grapefruit in NC!
Charlotte has an advantage over Eastern NC as a lot of cool weather crops are grown up in the mountains just a few miles away in the summer giving our local farmer's markets a lot of variety not found in ANY corporate store.

------------------------------

My issue with Whole Foods as some others have remarked on is that it is a big corporation which has put a lot of smaller locally owned shops out of business and it is highly green washed. It does surprise me that people, who are into this sort of thing, have not educated themselves more into the kind of places they are doing business with.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Charlotte has an advantage over Eastern NC as a lot of cool weather crops are grown up in the mountains just a few miles away in the summer giving our local farmer's markets a lot of variety not found in ANY corporate store.
Good point. But there are still fuits and veggies that can't be grown in NC year round (or at all) like Citrus Fruits. And somebody also pointed out it really isn't just about produce. Places like Whole foods offer a lot of other types of foods that aren't readily avilable elsewhere like options for people with dietary issue (Like those who need Gluten Free).

I agree with those who support Farmers markets as I do too. And I agree that the "green washing" is an issue with WF and many large corporate operations. That being said I don't think those issues are why one has not been built in Charlotte, I am still surprised A WF has not opened there given the large population and the demand. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before one opens up and I'm sure it will do quite well there. The Triangle has some fantastic farmer's markets too, yet the four Whole Foods stores in this area are always busy as well. I don't really see it as an either or thing.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:32 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
Here in Charlotte we also have the Home Economist, another local, which has plenty of gluten free foods. I've even seen gluten free in BiLo. I am also pretty sure The Fresh Market is local, they have been here for a very long time, and they also sell a great deal of similar food. I don't think WF is in Charlotte simply because of the competition.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Earth Fare has tons of gluten-free stuff, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte