Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:48 AM

16 posts, read 65,002 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in California, and after I graduate from UC Santa Cruz with a computer engineering degree I want to get out. I'm still unsure where to go but I've met a few people who were born in Charlotte and they left me open ended on every question I asked so here I am....

Is this a pretty nice place to live? Would there be people my age (23) that I would be able to interact with? I am active and single so is Charlotte a place to meet and interact and make new friends with young people like me?

I'm also unsure about the jobs but it shouldn't be hard to get hired with a computer engineering degree. If there were not any engineering jobs open I already know many forms of programming and I could be a programmer if someone needed me as one but overall the cost of living shouldn't matter. Since computers are everywhere I'm sure somewhere someone will need me right, I think?

Anyway, what do you guys think of Charlotte? In California I'm pretty laid back and I'm not much into politics, religion I'm Christian but I haven't been to church in well... since I was... 8? I'm actually not even sure if Charlotte is for me, I'd like to go somewhere other than California I just don't know where it is yet...

If you have any suggestions where I should relocate to please do post also

Thanks!

- Kyleeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 AM

368 posts, read 947,903 times
Id look elsewhere. The job market sucks, so thats your major concern. Its also not very attractive for young singles; theres a decent enough music/bar/lounge scene, but thats about all there is, but the city closes at 2am. Theres really not much to do here. Plus its a pretty conservative city; but you say youre religious, so that might be your thing.

If you had a job here and were looking for an ubiquitois suburban/country club lifestyle in a city with a relatively low cost of living I would say Charlotte is for you; but as a young, single recent grad I say look elsewhere. I am.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:07 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,439,919 times
I suggest that you come for a visit and see for yourself.

The job market here is worse than most other cities, however. Bottom line - just starting out from college at an entry-level job in your career field? I'd go to the city where I was offered the best job. Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 AM

812 posts, read 1,911,688 times
I would just move wherever you can get the best job experience! Once you get the entry level 1st job under your belt and have real world experience then it would be easiser to relocate to a specific area. OR even better find a job that lets you work as a consultant and you travel around to the different towns/regions then you can get a look on someone else's dime! So if you are interested in Charlotte, Portland, DC etc...then send out your resume and whoever gives you the best bang for your buck go for it.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,876,991 times
You should plan a visit to get a feel for whether or not this is the kind of place you would like to live.

Charlotte is a very nice city - clean and new, but mostly family oriented. There are singles here of course, but it's not a hot spot for singles.

Your best bet is to pick your top 5 cities and start applying for jobs. Then go wherever you are lucky enough to land a job.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,816,074 times
OK...just know Charlotte is nothing like beautiful/scenic Santa Cruz, CA...No boardwalk/Ocean is 4hours away...Just be prepared.....not to say that you won't like it...but as a previous poster stated...you need to visit once or twice before taking the plunge.... and make your determination...
Seriously Kyle...Visit first.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 AM

81 posts, read 238,971 times
Kyle,

I agree with some of the other posters about finding a job first. Make a list of your top cities to live in and then see what you can find in each city. Do a Pros and Cons list for each city/job and that will help you narrow your search.

Sure you are young and can do anything for a while but if you find a place that you really love, that makes one less move and one less time you have to find new friends, doctors, etc. so it is worth taking the time to figure out your BEST move right now.

I think Charlotte can be a great place for singles or families, it just depends on what your interests are. Also, you might look at Denver, CO. It is a great city, closer to where you are from. Lots of other Cali people there and great times to be had in the mountains on any given day/season. A plus is that Denver has a great downtown area that is about 8 years ahead of Charlotte in that the transportation options are much better (light rail much more extensive, etc). Charlotte will get there, it is just going to take some time.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 AM

Guys and gals thanks a lot for the help. I think I'll plan a summer trip down there and check it out as soon as I go on vacation. And I'll do what one of the above members said, to send out jobs apps to where I wanna go and accepts the best one

Thank you everyone for suggesting, warning, and helping me decide where to go

Thank you!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM

128 posts, read 272,781 times
For singles, especially at your age, Charlotte is a great place to come if you live near uptown (our downtown). Nightlife is pretty solid and there are plenty of things to do like attending sporting events, concerts and hiking in the mountains or venturing to Lake Norman. Though, as some have suggested, I'd recommend visiting first and then finding a job before moving.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75 View Post
For singles, especially at your age, Charlotte is a great place to come if you live near uptown (our downtown). Nightlife is pretty solid and there are plenty of things to do like attending sporting events, concerts and hiking in the mountains or venturing to Lake Norman. Though, as some have suggested, I'd recommend visiting first and then finding a job before moving.

Thanks I will try to do just that, I want to visit sometime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: