Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times

Advertisements

You could also try a book club.

South Charlotte Book Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM

81 posts, read 238,617 times
Okay, I am going to say I am surprised that nobody has said this one yet - how about going to church? That is not to say that you would go just to pick up girls. However, I bet you would find a lot of people there that are not exactly into the bar/club scene. The single groups are always planning something and many of the churches are very dynamic. You are not alone out there.

Another option, and you guys will probably laugh at this one, but it worked for me when I was younger and single...take some cooking classes! There are a lot offered in Charlotte - Johnson and Wales, some of the nicer restaurants, the YMCAs, and probably CPCC or some other outlets.

I did this when in Memphis, Tn at the Peabody Culinary Institute. It was really very cool. I met all kinds of people that were all ages, some married and some single. At that point in my life, I veered towards the single girls that caught my interest. After we learned some new recipes, we had to try them out right? No better way to get to know people than over a nice meal that you prepare together with some wine.

Nicely added benefit is that you learn to cook some great stuff and if you do meet someone special you can wow them with your new skills! (Like I did when I met my wife)

Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prouddaddy View Post
Okay, I am going to say I am surprised that nobody has said this one yet - how about going to church?...

Well, I figured if the OP was a church-goer, he'd already be going to church. If not, "meeting people" seems a pretty shallow reason to attend religious services (to me).

I agree with the suggestion about the cooking classes, though. Worst case scenario you learn to cook some good stuff!

Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,079 times
I joined choa this year (choa.com) it's been great

Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prouddaddy View Post
Okay, I am going to say I am surprised that nobody has said this one yet - how about going to church? That is not to say that you would go just to pick up girls. However, I bet you would find a lot of people there that are not exactly into the bar/club scene. The single groups are always planning something and many of the churches are very dynamic. You are not alone out there.

Another option, and you guys will probably laugh at this one, but it worked for me when I was younger and single...take some cooking classes! There are a lot offered in Charlotte - Johnson and Wales, some of the nicer restaurants, the YMCAs, and probably CPCC or some other outlets.

I did this when in Memphis, Tn at the Peabody Culinary Institute. It was really very cool. I met all kinds of people that were all ages, some married and some single. At that point in my life, I veered towards the single girls that caught my interest. After we learned some new recipes, we had to try them out right? No better way to get to know people than over a nice meal that you prepare together with some wine.

Nicely added benefit is that you learn to cook some great stuff and if you do meet someone special you can wow them with your new skills! (Like I did when I met my wife)
Yea right LOL. Those people you're talking about are senior citizens. 95% of the people in church around the age of 25 probably just left the club the previous night.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Check out Meetup.com There are many groups you can join. The Go Social Club is very active.
Meetup is a very easy way to meet people! The Go Social club on there is very active, but I find that if you go to smaller group meetups you will be more likely to see the same people a few times and develop friendships. Groups of 1000+ are fairly random.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
I had a family member move down here a few years ago and kind of make a nuisance of herself by constantly being at our house, wanting to be entertained, mooching, etc. She joined CHOA and now we barely see her!

Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
Charlotte is a family oriented city.....god forbid if you are young AND single....from my experiences the best places to meet people are at starbucks, gyms, book stores, parks, and of course concerts and sporting events. But people in Charlotte tend to be really snobby and not really friendly. For instance in New Orleans you can just speak to anyone and start conversation.....not here......and please don't be lost and try to get directions at a stop light...you will be ignored.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,813 times
Go volunteer at an elementary school. There are lots of young females working there, many unattached and often too tired to go out and meet people . You'll do a good deed and who knows???

Old 08-22-2010, 11:58 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Yea right LOL. Those people you're talking about are senior citizens. 95% of the people in church around the age of 25 probably just left the club the previous night.
Are there any churches around here that are popular with the younger crowd? I have been to church a few times and its pretty much always entirely senior citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Charlotte is a family oriented city.....god forbid if you are young AND single....from my experiences the best places to meet people are at starbucks, gyms, book stores, parks, and of course concerts and sporting events. But people in Charlotte tend to be really snobby and not really friendly. For instance in New Orleans you can just speak to anyone and start conversation.....not here......and please don't be lost and try to get directions at a stop light...you will be ignored.
I realize its a family oriented city, but not all young singles can live in Atlanta, Miami, NYC, etc. There has to be plenty around here in a city this size. As far as the snob thing, that is the kind of atmosphere I've noticed in the club scene that has kind of turned me off from it. Everybody hangs with their cliques and there is very little intermingling and meeting new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: