Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say I am not feeling too good about the city-data forum lately. I don't know why Anifani has cut back on posting but maybe she feels the same. It seems to me that many posters are on the attack if you don't agree with their position - others have to have the last word. Some are just plain mean with the name calling, etc. I apologize for the times I have come across too strong or too negative. I think I will take a hiatus from the forum for awhile.

Happy 2011 to all!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
^ Last year I took a break from this forum for several months for the same reason. Recently I have considered doing it again.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Ive been turned off by the forum also. The epitome for me were the posts about the possible snow coming. I realize some of us want it to snow, others dont, but dont rain on my parade. To be called ridiculous for going to buy a snow shovel, just isnt necessary. So what if the sleds sell out, or if people buy milk and bread. Just way too much negativity for me. When it looked like the snow would miss us, all of the posts were about how awful and full of hype the weathermen were. Where were those posters when it did snow? Ani helped me with advice before my move here, if there were more like her, and less like ------ (fill in your choice here), I'd read the forum more often.
What happened to Chromekitty in the "what's open for Christmas" thread was totally uncalled for. Most kept it cool and civil, but one or two had to use the anonymity of the interwebz to jump way ugly on her. I have little desire to see my friends, whether they be the ones I know outside of this forum or the ones I know strictly on it, being attacked for no reason other than voicing an opinion. It's one of the many reasons why this place is no longer fun anymore.

I still stand by how awful the weathermen are. Especially Mark Watkins (real inside joke there).

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM

385 posts, read 890,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I have little desire to see my friends, whether they be the ones I know outside of this forum or the ones I know strictly on it, being attacked for no reason other than voicing an opinion. It's one of the many reasons why this place is no longer fun anymore.

I still stand by how awful the weathermen are. Especially Mark Watkins (real inside joke there).
Unfortunately history shows us voicing yr opinion tends to lead to attacks... even fights, longstanding disputes, and wars.

Thats the beauty of this forum imho. It may take some of the "fun" out things, but provides a way for opinions and counterpoints to be heard in a relative harmless manner. Does that get abused sometimes... sure, but I think most adults can take getting their chops busted from time to time. (Some may even like it) And who knows maybe opinions will change based on input from here.

I hope the great posters here continue to post as their daily lives allow and this continues to be a great forum and insight into worlds previously unkown to many.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times
I got fed up with this forum like a year ago, but I think for slightly different reasons than are being mentioned here. I took a bunch of months off (gotta go cold turkey folks) but recently started hopping back on now and then. I don't post or reply too often.

Oh yeah, and Ani rocks.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
Unfortunately history shows us voicing yr opinion tends to lead to attacks... even fights, longstanding disputes, and wars.

Thats the beauty of this forum imho. It may take some of the "fun" out things, but provides a way for opinions and counterpoints to be heard in a relative harmless manner. Does that get abused sometimes... sure, but I think most adults can take getting their chops busted from time to time. (Some may even like it) And who knows maybe opinions will change based on input from here.

I hope the great posters here continue to post as their daily lives allow and this continues to be a great forum and insight into worlds previously unkown to many.
I agree with this 100%....

I've been involved in many heated arguments because if there's something I believe in, I won't back down (like many posters here..). However, I've learned alot from people who've walked in shoes not like my own. (I defend southerners alot when we have our holiday discussions/arguments regarding how things are in the south!) My modified ways have a large part to do w/the input from posters on here.

Also, If you don't have thick skin IMO you shouldn't post here.....

Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

I've been involved in many heated arguments because if there's something I believe in, I won't back down (like many posters here..). However, I've learned alot from people who've walked in shoes not like my own. (I defend southerners alot when we have our holiday discussions/arguments regarding how things are in the south!) My modified ways have a large part to do w/the input from posters on here.

It helps some of us who are extra-stubborn see things from a different perspective. Sometimes...

I may get heated on here, but as soon as I step away from the computer I remember that I'm an anonymous person having arguments with other anonymous people. Why get upset?

I do feel like I have a group of anonymous friends, too. It's kind of weird.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

It's not a matter of needing thick skin. I'm on other boards, one in particular, where if you don't have iron for skin, you won't last (If you think the political forum here is bad, that ain't nothing). It's not the arguments or debates. It's someone calling Chromekitty a hypocrite because she felt bad folks had to work on Christmas day. It's Ani getting attacked for God knows what harmless thing she said. That's happened a lot more than once.

Truthfully, the Charlotte forum is also a poorly moderated one. Some stuff that should go, stays. Other stuff that stays should go. Harmless stuff that flies in nearly every other state's forums gets you put into a timeout or banned here. Half the time I wasn't really sure what I should say, so I just learned to not even bother.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times
Quote:
......Truthfully, the Charlotte forum is also a poorly moderated one. Some stuff that should go, stays. Other stuff that stays should go. Harmless stuff that flies in nearly every other state's forums gets you put into a timeout or banned here. Half the time I wasn't really sure what I should say, so I just learned to not even bother.

I agree 1000%. Maybe more.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
If it were just being jumped on and scrutinized it might not be so bad. I've seen posters like lovesmountains, someone with however many thousands of posts and the experience of actually living here behind her, get absolutely mauled by someone with five posts who lives in freakin' Idaho.

Here's to the Charlotteans, Born & Raised
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte