Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM

359 posts, read 591,491 times

Advertisements

I simply support good people. I don't care what sex or race or religion.

A good person is just that.

With that said I don't believe that diversity equals strength. Strength can be had in any situation, but it does not have to be diverse. This isn't a 401(k).

I think a single race community can be strong and prosperous just as a diverse community can. I also believe that both can be weak and problem filled.

It's not about the color of skin, but the context of character, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I find it in bad form to promote diversity, while not allowing those that might not like it to speak up about it. Fair is fair. (Not that you are censoring anyone. I'm just speaking about the generally accepted discourse).
Well clearly the City Council has spoken on this issue and does not agree with you

Example: American Renaissance Conference

Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
Well clearly the City Council has spoken on this issue and does not agree with you

Example: American Renaissance Conference
I'm trying to figure out your point. Do you have a problem with the article? the increasing diversity? What is your point of view?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm trying to figure out your point. Do you have a problem with the article? the increasing diversity? What is your point of view?
My point of view is that if you are a good human being I welcome you to my community. I couldn't care less about sex/race/religion.

I have no problem with the article but I did have a problem with City Council violating AR's First Amendment Right to free speech. What you quoted was me stating that City Council did not let AR speak about their cause. AR does not want diversity and was not allowed to speak about it in Charlotte.

Bottom line: good people are good people and a race/sex/religion does not determine who you are.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,505 times
Quote:
My point of view is that if you are a good human being I welcome you to my community. I couldn't care less about sex/race/religion.

I have no problem with the article but I did have a problem with City Council violating AR's First Amendment Right to free speech. What you quoted was me stating that City Council did not let AR speak about their cause. AR does not want diversity and was not allowed to speak about it in Charlotte.

Bottom line: good people are good people and a race/sex/religion does not determine who you are.
The city council did no such thing. Please review what it means to violate one's right to free speech. That group held a press conference in Charlotte in January exercising their right of free speech.

Back to the topic. Maybe the group choose Charlotte because of its increasing diversity?? Maybe they overestimated the number of sympathizers in the area?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
The city council did no such thing. Please review what it means to violate one's right to free speech. That group held a press conference in Charlotte in January exercising their right of free speech.

Back to the topic. Maybe the group choose Charlotte because of its increasing diversity?? Maybe they overestimated the number of sympathizers in the area?
Not going to debate it

Good day sir or ma'am

Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,722 times
Lightbulb And That Would Be Why? Do Tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggums View Post
Not anymore, obviously.

- DIG!
I'm sorry if you're one of those individuals who starts breaking out in a rash if someone darker than a paper bag gets within 30 feet of you, but I've got some advice---get over it...

This is 2011...if someone like myself and my family have the funds and the inclination to move to Charlotte, then we will...all we would want to do is be good neighbors, good friends, and good residents of the city...and we'll do so, sneered expressions of 'there goes the neighborhood' notwithstanding...

'Diversity' is a word that has beaten like a dead mule, and all it does sometimes is spark overheated p*****g contests between races and ethnicities...I see it this way---I'm black, and Charlotte is standing out more and more as a good place for blacks who are on the up-and-up to move to...

I, however, have no problem living in an area where I am not 'one of many'...I'd like to live in an area where I can learn from my Indian, Mexican, African, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, German, etc neighbors about their histories and cultures...at 55, I feel as though I am NEVER too old to learn more about the world around me, and I would hope said neighbors would be curious about me and mine as well...

That having been said, if you want to sit on your hiney, behind your 8-foot security fence and your gator-filled moat, with 75 security cameras, muttering 'darned (fill in the distrusted ethnicity of the day) messing up the neighborhood!', then by all means, knock yourself out...

But those of us who can learn or have learned over time to accept and acknowledge each others differences, and still peacefully co-exist, will go on about our business and enjoy life, thank you very much...sorry for your luck, but you don't get to make the call about who or who doesn't move to Charlotte, or WHERE they live when they get here...as if

Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Here is a quote from AR's founder Jared Taylor:
Quote:
Taylor, in an article for American Renaissance magazine in 2005, wrote, “Blacks and whites are different. When blacks are left entirely to their own devices, Western civilization — any kind of civilization — disappears.”
White Supremacist group American Renaissance forced to move location of annual conference in Charlotte | The Washington Independent

I think any Charlottean that agrees with this quote should buy a huge banner (with this quote on it) and display the banner on their front lawn and their place of employment. They should also place this quote on their bumper stickers. Don't forget to send this quote to the mayor, the police chief, and the president in an email. Do these things and Charlotte's "diversity problem" will be solved within a week.

disclaimer: Just being sarcastic. Anyone that does this will be asking for trouble, hence the reason why city council did what they did. The city council's first priority is to promote peace and public safety. Banning this group from Charlotte was an act of promoting peace and public safety for our beautiful city. Nothing more; nothing less.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 AM

310 posts, read 672,521 times
My experience in Charlotte, having spent 23 years here, has been that diversity in and of itself is not what bothers me. It's that in MY personal experience, as the city diversifies, along with it comes more Urbanizing. More affordable housing apartments, more building up instead of out because there's less room, more people packed in, more crime, more pollution simply from so many more people of ALL types.

That's been my experience, and as a shameless "country boy" who used to shoot in his backyard, I'm leaving not because of the diversity, but because of the inherent urbanization that came with large groups of people coming here.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,722 times
Lightbulb UC, Thanks For Posting That Info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Here is a quote from AR's founder Jared Taylor:
White Supremacist group American Renaissance forced to move location of annual conference in Charlotte | The Washington Independent

I think any Charlottean that agrees with this quote should buy a huge banner (with this quote on it) and display the banner on their front lawn and their place of employment. They should also place this quote on their bumper stickers. Don't forget to send this quote to the mayor, the police chief, and the president in an email. Do these things and Charlotte's "diversity problem" will be solved within a week.

disclaimer: Just being sarcastic. Anyone that does this will be asking for trouble, hence the reason why city council did what they did. The city council's first priority is to promote peace and public safety. Banning this group from Charlotte was an act of promoting peace and public safety for our beautiful city. Nothing more; nothing less.
Just curious, though...is American Renaissance really a white supremacist group, as such, or are they just a loose-knit group of bigots talking out of their rears?

I say this because, just like I don't think people should run screaming at the sight of minorities, I don't consider every breathing, functioning member of the white race as 'an enemy', 'the enemy', or 'my enemy'...I simply do not, because it's a waste of time, it's unfounded, and most importantly, it's just plain expletive stupid...

Hurrah for Charlotte, for telling them to take that stuff elsewhere, and what's more, effectively telling one Mr Jared Taylor, the 'founder' of that group, to take that pseudo-intellectual stuff he spouts, find some change, and call somebody who cares...

People (I can only hope, though) have better things to do with their time than to give a soapbox and a megaphone to folks like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte