Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It all depends on one's definition of "white supremacist group".

American Renaissance Magazine
American Renaissance (magazine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally knew very little about this group until recently; and I think that was their agenda (publicity). However, a few of my co-workers have used quite a few AR quotes and I totally missed it. WOW!!! I can think of 3 people at my work that probably co-signs AR's message and I NEVER made the connection until now. Scary stuff...
THEY say that stuff, and even though a few of your co-workers, and apparently a lot of others, 'co-sign' it, as you said, YOU and I have a wonderful weapon of our own---the power to tell them to **** off and go pound salt...

I will sleep quite soundly tonight, knowing that their Chicken Little blustering about 'white racial heritage of this country being destroyed' means about as much to me as a bucket of pinto beans---in short, nothing...and that I personally am not contributing to any of the junk they're inanely bleating about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
THEY say that stuff, and even though a few of your co-workers, and apparently a lot of others, 'co-sign' it, as you said, YOU and I have a wonderful weapon of our own---the power to tell them to **** off and go pound salt...

I will sleep quite soundly tonight, knowing that their Chicken Little blustering about 'white racial heritage of this country being destroyed' means about as much to me as a bucket of pinto beans---in short, nothing...and that I personally am not contributing to any of the junk they're inanely bleating about
Well let me ask you. Is it wrong for there to be a black history month? Is it? The fact is, being PROUD of your racial heritage is not a bad thing.. Unless of course you are a white man in 2010 ..then you are being a bigot.

I think racial diversity is great. I also think its important to want to protect your rights as a citizen to free speech..

Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Lightbulb Okay...I'll Play Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Well let me ask you. Is it wrong for there to be a black history month? Is it? The fact is, being PROUD of your racial heritage is not a bad thing.. Unless of course you are a white man in 2010 ..then you are being a bigot.

I think racial diversity is great. I also think its important to want to protect your rights as a citizen to free speech..
First off, let's deal with the elephant in the room...the predominant racial/ethnic group in America, has always been whites...is Black History Month wrong? Well, quiet as it's kept, said month is not just for the education and enlightenment of blacks...I would hope that people of other ethnicities would want to satisfy their curiosity about us, same as I endeavor to do about them...and ours isn't the ONLY such type of celebration, but it get's the lion's share of attention, both good and bad...

Is it wrong for you or anyone else that's white to be proud of your heritage? Of course not...are you kidding? And who would label you as a bigot behind that? I would guess it's all in what you say and how you choose to say it that would make a difference...

Also, it's great that you embrace diversity, and you are correct that it's important to protect your right to free speech (the recent Supreme Court decision about Westboro Baptist Church is a prime example of your statement)...

However, people do have a right to raise objections when and if they find said speech offensive, and that rule has been set in stone since the beginning of recorded time...

If you don't take anything else about me away from this discussion, remember this...I don't waste time calling folks names, and I will debate and argue intelligently with anyone, including you, all day long...but my 'dander' gets up when people like 'American Renaissance' take your point about 'pride in white heritage' and turn it into some lond doctoral thesis about 'blacks and immigrants corrupting America's white racial heritage...

To me, stuff like that is wrong-headed, and I'll call 'em on it every single time

Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I don't want to derail the post, but what exactly did the city coucil do???

Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Lightbulb Hullo Baybook!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I don't want to derail the post, but what exactly did the city coucil do???
Apparently, American Renaissance, an alleged 'white supremacist' group (note my use of the word alleged...don't wanna open another can o' worms LOL), had wanted to hold their annual convention in Charlotte, and the City Council told them to 'get to steppin' (as in no thanks)

One of their main tenets is that diversity is 'destroying the white racial heritage of America', and some posters here thought that AR was being denied their right to free speech, per the Council's decision to deny their request to meet in Charlotte...

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
First off, let's deal with the elephant in the room...the predominant racial/ethnic group in America, has always been whites...is Black History Month wrong? Well, quiet as it's kept, said month is not just for the education and enlightenment of blacks...I would hope that people of other ethnicities would want to satisfy their curiosity about us, same as I endeavor to do about them...and ours isn't the ONLY such type of celebration, but it get's the lion's share of attention, both good and bad...

Is it wrong for you or anyone else that's white to be proud of your heritage? Of course not...are you kidding? And who would label you as a bigot behind that? I would guess it's all in what you say and how you choose to say it that would make a difference...

Also, it's great that you embrace diversity, and you are correct that it's important to protect your right to free speech (the recent Supreme Court decision about Westboro Baptist Church is a prime example of your statement)...

However, people do have a right to raise objections when and if they find said speech offensive, and that rule has been set in stone since the beginning of recorded time...

If you don't take anything else about me away from this discussion, remember this...I don't waste time calling folks names, and I will debate and argue intelligently with anyone, including you, all day long...but my 'dander' gets up when people like 'American Renaissance' take your point about 'pride in white heritage' and turn it into some lond doctoral thesis about 'blacks and immigrants corrupting America's white racial heritage...

To me, stuff like that is wrong-headed, and I'll call 'em on it every single time

I agree with your points. Its a debate that will go on and on.

Two rules to live by...judge all people as INDIVIDUALS..each person gets an equal opportunity in my book. Once you start to generalize , you are lost. Second, never be afraid to say what you feel. I feel like as a white man, sometimes I am afraid to say what i am thinking as I may get labeled a racist...that is pure bs and if I don't like something I reserve the right to SAY it ..even if it isnt "PC"....

One of my pet peeves is racial profiling. I am on the other side of the fence on this one. If you need to profile to catch a criminal ...DO IT. Tired of us being afraid to protect ourselves out of fear we may "offend "" someone.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I'll have to look this up some more, because I think you are wrong. I don't believe the city council denied them anything. I don't think the city council has anything to do with who meets in Charlotte.

People say the group was denied their 1st ammeendment rights, but I think that just serves to obfuscate the issue/discussion.

Back to the topic: I'm sure the increase in diversity has to do with the numbers of folks that came from other areas of the country to participate in Charlotte's one time booming financial services industry. And of course those folks that came here in support service roles as well.

Quote:
Apparently, American Renaissance, an alleged 'white supremacist' group (note my use of the word alleged...don't wanna open another can o' worms LOL), had wanted to hold their annual convention in Charlotte, and the City Council told them to 'get to steppin' (as in no thanks)

One of their main tenets is that diversity is 'destroying the white racial heritage of America', and some posters here thought that AR was being denied their right to free speech, per the Council's decision to deny their request to meet in Charlotte...

Last edited by baybook; 03-22-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 PM

257 posts, read 669,226 times
I thought the hotel booted them b/c of pressure from Jewish groups. I don't think the city did anything.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Lightbulb LOL...And You May Be Right That I'm Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'll have to look this up some more, because I think you are wrong. I don't believe the city council denied them anything. I don't think the city council has anything to do with who meets in Charlotte.

People say the group was denied their 1st ammeendment rights, but I think that just serves to obfuscate the issue/discussion.

Back to the topic: I'm sure the increase in diversity has to do with the numbers of folks that came from other areas of the country to participate in Charlotte's one time booming financial services industry. And of course those folks that came here in support service roles as well.
Hello again...I made my comment about City Council after seeing something in a post uptheread by UrbanCharlotte...and I'm ususally death on doing my due diligence and researching before writing a post...

But this time, I may have let one slip through the cracks, and for that I apologize, if I 'mis-posted'

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
If I recall people on the city council used their influence to convince hotel owners not to give them the rooms. Nothing illegal was done.

I'm all for free speech, but good riddance to the American Renaissance group. We don't need any more division here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte