Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM

103 posts, read 396,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Davidson is one of the most desirable places in the Charlotte metro

However, you will be hard pressed to find what you want in your price range there - it's upscale for the most part.
Yea, looks like Southern Iredale Mooresville would be a good fit. Outside of Mooresville city limits. There is a whole racing network in Mooresville. You'd probably be able to get plugged in better there. Mooresville has been nicknames 'Racecity'. And southern Iredal is suposed to have one of the best school districts in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,447,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Davidson is one of the most desirable places in the Charlotte metro

However, you will be hard pressed to find what you want in your price range there - it's upscale for the most part.
yes-overpriced certainly and I imagine most folks who live there would have a hissy fit if someone had a race car and trailer.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 AM

99 posts, read 295,503 times
So you don't suggest Concord? With a bit of searching we did find a few places that would work in Union but if possible I would like to be near the car stuff.IF POSSIBLE.I am gonna look into the Southern part of Iredell.Is that 28115 zipcode?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 AM

The Lake Norman side of Mooresville (West of I77, basically/ Lake Norman Iredell Statesville school-mostly Iredell county taxes only unless you're in some of the subdivisions or The Point) is 28117. There is a small part of 28117, just East of I77, that is Mooresville Graded school district.

The city side of Mooresville (East of I77) is 28115 and Mooresville Graded School district and more homes will be County and city taxes, which effectively doubles property taxes. However still pretty low compared to Meck county taxes.

Generally in both zips you'll have to look at older, less HOA controlled subdivisions, or outside SDs completely, to get the acre.

Iredell and Meck just did property revals and many properties in Meck saw large hikes of up to 40% (someone else can verify) on many properties. I guess they were catching up to the true market value, however many feel the valuse are unrealistic because of the current housing market.

Iredell vals mostly went down by around 2%.

Concord was the second choice for us and Mooresville was 1st because of Lake Norman.I think it would be easier in Cabarrus county to get your acre, but not sure how much cheaper it would be than Mooresville.
The downtown area of Mooresville has changed fairly dramatically in the last 2 yrs with new restaurants and speciality stores. Still a very small downtown, but quite charming too.

You're probably very capable of searching yourself, but did you see the zillow link I posted for Mooresville properties earlier in the thread?

I wouldn't give up on Mooresville.There are houses that will meet your needs, just not so many.It might be easier if you were prepared to consider a slightly smaller home.

We just had our home on the market and took it off because the market is very slow and everyone is looking for a "deal" and comparing to foreclosures.

It's only 1800 sq ft, in one of the older well established lake front neighborhoods with different types and ages of homes. Lots of trees. Mallard Head golf course winds through the area. No HOAs. VERY close to everything including schools, stores, restaurants etc.
We have an acre as we're on a double lot, and private,deeded lake access/dock across the street which we share with 1 neighbor.
It's an older (1980s) very unusual house and I think we could maybe have sold it for the high 200s, but that just wouldn't have worked for what we wanted to do.

Wanted to mention that Iredell has an IB programme which used to be at Mount Mourne (between Davidson and Mooresville on 115) but is now located at South Iredell High school in Troutman, so further North and West nearer the lake than before. Don't know that much about it-sorry.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 04-01-2011 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: add'

Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 AM

99 posts, read 295,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
The Lake Norman side of Mooresville (West of I77, basically/ Lake Norman Iredell Statesville school-mostly Iredell county taxes only unless you're in some of the subdivisions or The Point) is 28117. There is a small part of 28117, just East of I77, that is Mooresville Graded school district.

The city side of Mooresville (East of I77) is 28115 and Mooresville Graded School district and more homes will be County and city taxes, which effectively doubles property taxes. However still pretty low compared to Meck county taxes.

Generally in both zips you'll have to look at older, less HOA controlled subdivisions, or outside SDs completely, to get the acre.

Iredell and Meck just did property revals and many properties in Meck saw large hikes of up to 40% (someone else can verify) on many properties. I guess they were catching up to the true market value, however many feel the valuse are unrealistic because of the current housing market.

Iredell vals mostly went down by around 2%.

Concord was the second choice for us and Mooresville was 1st because of Lake Norman.I think it would be easier in Cabarrus county to get your acre, but not sure how much cheaper it would be than Mooresville.
The downtown area of Mooresville has changed fairly dramatically in the last 2 yrs with new restaurants and speciality stores. Still a very small downtown, but quite charming too.

You're probably very capable of searching yourself, but did you see the zillow link I posted for Mooresville properties earlier in the thread?

I wouldn't give up on Mooresville.There are houses that will meet your needs, just not so many.It might be easier if you were prepared to consider a slightly smaller home.

We just had our home on the market and took it off because the market is very slow and everyone is looking for a "deal" and comparing to foreclosures.

It's only 1800 sq ft, in one of the older well established lake front neighborhoods with different types and ages of homes. Lots of trees. Mallard Head golf course winds through the area. No HOAs. VERY close to everything including schools, stores, restaurants etc.
We have an acre as we're on a double lot, and private,deeded lake access/dock across the street which we share with 1 neighbor.
It's an older (1980s) very unusual house and I think we could maybe have sold it for the high 200s, but that just wouldn't have worked for what we wanted to do.

Wanted to mention that Iredell has an IB programme which used to be at Mount Mourne (between Davidson and Mooresville on 115) but is now located at South Iredell High school in Troutman, so further North and West nearer the lake than before. Don't know that much about it-sorry.

Good luck in your search!
Yes I saw the thread.I actually have a few of those houses in my "to go look at file" they have been on the market a while.What is an IB program ?and oh what is OP ?
P.S.
I pay $12,000 a year in property taxes.

Last edited by PROFGH; 04-01-2011 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: SPELLING

Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFGH View Post
Yes I saw the thread.I actually have a few of those houses in my "to go look at file" they have been on the market a while.What is an IB program ?and oh what is OP ?
P.S.
IB is an International Baccalaureate program

South Iredell High School | Thier, Michael, IB Coordinator (http://iss.schoolwires.com/16852011179385920/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=91254 - broken link)

OP is original poster or person who started the thread - at least that's what I assume

You won't be worrying about the property taxes here, but still worth knowing the differences.

There are lots of homes here that have been on the market for a while!
I think the average time to sell is around 100 days at the moment.
I guess they sell once they get the price down low enough, as most sell for more than 90% of the (eventual) asking price.

There seems to be a HUGE difference in prices per sq ft even in one SD.
Unfortunately even if your home isn't a FC, the selling prices of the FCs (and they're the only things selling remotely fast) are bringing down prices but their seems to be a discrepancy between the comps sellers and buyers agents look at ie Non FCs v FCs and their are so few homes selling that it's difficult to work out what a home is actually worth.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 AM

103 posts, read 396,508 times
Quote:
P.S.
OP= Original post, or original poster

Find yourself a realitor before you come to town so that you can actually schedule to get inside these houses and look around when you get here.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
So you don't suggest Concord? With a bit of searching we did find a few places that would work in Union but if possible I would like to be near the car stuff.IF POSSIBLE.I am gonna look into the Southern part of Iredell.Is that 28115 zipcode?
I think several of us HAVE recommended Concord, in addition to Mooresville and Kannapolis.

By looking west of I85 you would be in the Concord and Kannapolis areas.

Have you looked at a map like I suggested and located Hwy 3? That area (east of Mooresville running to Kannapolis) is very nice and would be a great general area for you to find an acre in.

Just south of Hwy 3 (along hwy 73) is the Concord area. There are more subdivisions and less of a chance of you finding an acre, but worth the look for the schools on that side of Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte