Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 AM

356 posts, read 372,469 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Charlotte w/. 6 yr old and 9 yr old. Would like an old-fashioned neighborhood w/ lots and lots of kids and no through traffic. Commute is not an issue. Can do public or private. We like the area South of Audrey Kell Rd and between Tom Short & Providence Rds. What is life like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,038,802 times
Outer suburbia... The area you describe is basically Providence Country Club I think. At least according to your specific area listed here.

It would help to be a bit more specific since you can wander a couple of miles in any direction and be zoned to a different HS. That's not a necessarily bad thing since you're talking about Providence, Ardrey Kell, Weddington, and Marvin Ridge. All good schools.

The kids and no through traffic requirements can be filled very easily in that area.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 PM

554 posts, read 1,509,284 times
I'll also add that its a really good area in terms of proximity to a lot of things, safety, and they are all "desirable" areas to live in.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,772,395 times
How much square footage are you looking for? Berkeley would be an excellent option based on what you described your looking for.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Default Life style and people

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Outer suburbia... The area you describe is basically Providence Country Club I think. At least according to your specific area listed here.

It would help to be a bit more specific since you can wander a couple of miles in any direction and be zoned to a different HS. That's not a necessarily bad thing since you're talking about Providence, Ardrey Kell, Weddington, and Marvin Ridge. All good schools.

The kids and no through traffic requirements can be filled very easily in that area.
Thanks for the info. I guess what I really want to know is what are the people like? We have certain neighborhoods here where it's all about keeping up with the Joneses. I'm not looking for a "Real Housewives of Charlotte" neighborhood. We want a neighborhood with people who are down to Earth.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:16 AM

701 posts, read 1,430,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess what I really want to know is what are the people like? We have certain neighborhoods here where it's all about keeping up with the Joneses. I'm not looking for a "Real Housewives of Charlotte" neighborhood. We want a neighborhood with people who are down to Earth.
Everybody thinks that they are "down to earth" whether they are or not. The truth is that "keeping up with the Jonses" is a pandemic in the sub-divisions and mcmansions of South Charlotte, particularly below Rte. 51. That doesn't mean that you won't meet nice people there, but it ain't Mayberry!

Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Kickball out in the street?

For those living in the Ballantyne, Waxhaw, Or Weddington areas, how many planned activities (dance, soccer, tutoring,gymnastics, etc) do your kids have in a weeks time? Do the neighborhood kids play together? Are there kickball games on the street? Are you friendly with most of your neighbors? I'm concerned about making a move only to find the same lifestyle we're trying to get away from.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,038,802 times
Quote:
It's mostly transplants just like you.

You're getting a bit too "pie in the sky" for me, so I don't know how to comment on the "keeping up with the Joneses" and "down to Earth" thing. Dealing with those types of people in "desirable" areas is very difficult to avoid completely - I'd say nearly impossible. They want nice, safe, and good schools just like you.

The circle of friends we've developed here are nothing like that, but I know some people who are... You need to be willing to put yourself out there to find the right folks and not be discouraged if you run into the wrong ones from time to time.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,429,022 times
Quote:
For those living in the Ballantyne, Waxhaw, Or Weddington areas, how many planned activities (dance, soccer, tutoring,gymnastics, etc) do your kids have in a weeks time? Do the neighborhood kids play together? Are there kickball games on the street? Are you friendly with most of your neighbors? I'm concerned about making a move only to find the same lifestyle we're trying to get away from.
In my neighborhood, even though many are the same age, very few of the kids go to the same school. Many are home schooled and some go to private church schools. Mine go to public school, which is somewhat looked down on. Rarely do I see them playing together. My kids socialize with their sports teams and their classmates from other neighborhoods. No kickball. I know my neighbors but we don't hang out. Just doesn't seem to be that type of neighborhood or at least for us it isn't. Its the one thing that I really don't like about where I live, but it isn't a big deal. Have friends all over the county, so we visit, or they visit us. Also, I'm not a transplant, so i am in the minority in my neighborhood. I do know that many of the ladies get together for something called bunco, but my wife has never been invited so we don't really know what thats all about.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM

79 posts, read 280,523 times
We moved to charlotte about 1 1/2 ago and into our Waxhaw development last June. We have great neigbors and a group of us get together about monthly for drinks/dinner, etc. We also organized a progressive Xmas party.

Our kids go out and play in the neighborhood, riding bikes, throwing footballs, baseball etc. The kids tend to go house to house, starting at one and ending up at another. We all watch out for eachothers kids and my daughter is either having or going to a sleep over on Friday nights.

No sure if this is the norm or if we just lucked out but it's just what we were looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte