Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,579 times

Advertisements

How is it possible, right? I've just moved from Michigan (due to the sliding economy) to the booming Charlotte. I am in a happy relationship of 4 years, just starting a new job, and living in a great part of town in an awesome apartment. Still, after growing up on the same street in the same house for my entire life, I find myself very lonely. My boyfriend is finishing up his job and won't move here until January. My job starts in about two weeks, but I'm looking to meet people outside the workplace that I have something in common with. I'm a 20something and enjoy going out, but I don't drink much. My apartment complex is nice, but it is a very transient place and most people here don't seem interested in finding friends... very unlike my living situation at my university and at home. What is the best way to meet people? I'm not a big church go-er, and I find it so hard to meet people online who don't want "a relationship." Many of the clubs and organizations I've looked into tend to cater to the mid-30s or 40s. Any ideas? Thanks and million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
pick up a creative loafing paper they are free found at most coffee houses or near those row of ugly newespaper boxes you see littering the street.

It has great information of social groups in the area. Find something that interest you and hopefully you will connect with friends of similar interest. Also I think there was rumor of city data meetup ...search these threads.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Where in MI did you move from? Just wondering!! I am from the Flint area and will be moving on Tuesday to the Lake Norman area, also due to a lack of a job in MI(teacher). I, too, will be alone. Only, no one will be coming in 6 months, either! LOL.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:53 AM

550 posts, read 1,809,353 times
I agree - check out some of the area events...there's always something going on around town.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 AM

120 posts, read 370,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krista525 View Post
How is it possible, right? I've just moved from Michigan (due to the sliding economy) to the booming Charlotte. I am in a happy relationship of 4 years, just starting a new job, and living in a great part of town in an awesome apartment. Still, after growing up on the same street in the same house for my entire life, I find myself very lonely. My boyfriend is finishing up his job and won't move here until January. My job starts in about two weeks, but I'm looking to meet people outside the workplace that I have something in common with. I'm a 20something and enjoy going out, but I don't drink much. My apartment complex is nice, but it is a very transient place and most people here don't seem interested in finding friends... very unlike my living situation at my university and at home. What is the best way to meet people? I'm not a big church go-er, and I find it so hard to meet people online who don't want "a relationship." Many of the clubs and organizations I've looked into tend to cater to the mid-30s or 40s. Any ideas? Thanks and million.
Hi Krista - what you are feeling is very natural and normal - many people go through this period when they first arrive in a new place and do not know anyone. You have a lot going for you. You are a young healthy 20-something - trust me you are going to meet tons of friends, but you first have to open yourself up to it. You have to get that creative loafing paper that SunnyKayak mentioned and start finding activities to get yourself into. There are so many ways to meet new people and Charlotte is a great place, because the people are friendly and very helpful. But if you are feeling withdrawn, chances are it will be hard to meet folks. If I were you I would get out there in Charlotte and explore and get lost. Find those coffee shops. One cool area was this area called NoDA, which is north Davidison, which is an artsy, creative place. Look it up and I bet there is probably information on this forum if you do a search. The one thing I know is that folks on this Charlotte forum will definitely point you in the right direction. I am new to this but so many people have helped me tremendously. Anyway, take a deep breathe, and start creating and drawing the kind of people you want to bring into your life, and remember to be specific, because you will get exactly what you ask for. The weekend is almost here, so get out there and explore that beautiful city and make yourself some new friends and take time to soak it all in and ENJOY!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM

85 posts, read 281,722 times
You're a little homesick...sucks...but normal, especially when you see plenty of people,places and things going on around you, yet you're BORED and LONELY...I suppose depending on where you live and what you like to do, will dictate the advice...maybe a day trip or two...LKN fun, plent of malls to walk and shop for hours, etc, etc...I'm sure you realize that most people work and so the day can be even more lonely...schools will start soon, and football, etc...perhaps a pet? Some hiking?...it really depends on what activities you like...just so you know...Charlotte Metro area is just one of the many places "where no one is from," I have lived in many(Atlanta, MIami, Ft Lauderdale, etc)but have relocated, so don't be shy about going to a gym, aerobics class or something and chitchatting...lots of people will probably talk your ears off just discussing the transition. Keep on the sunny side! My parents live in Davidson...so hit the ONLY Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream shop around...and there's plenty of coffee and co-eds there, too...BUT DO NOT SPEED IN DAVDISON...it's exit 30 off I77...head East AND DO NOT SPEED!!LOL I that's a little toolaid back...hit Birkdale and suck up suburbia...try CHeeseburger in Paradise...Exit 25 off I 77 head west.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:35 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,222,151 times
I understand your plight, wether you 25 or 40, sometimes moving out can be tough. Just meeting casual people to hang with. Say its Wednesday at 6, you wanna call up a buddy and go grab a bite. No PLANs, not big event or drinking, just chill for a couple hours at a resteraunt. Thats what I miss the most. There are some groups, I will find the links when I get home, but sometimes ya'll just have to take a chance. I met a few in my apt who are nice and work can help, but I find they are in a family situation and stuck.... What are area you in?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,036,718 times
Default hey

What area do you live in? I am 29 and brand new here with my husband. We live in Wesley Chapel. It is weird nto to have friends here...luckily my neighborhood is very outgoing but most people do have kids and we don't plan to have any for at least 3 more yrs.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
I grew up in Michigan and moved to Buffalo with my family at age 16. I moved to Charlotte when I was 27 six years ago and made a few friends right off the bat thanks to work and the internet. It still took me about a year to get used to the area and I actually had some pretty bad anxiety attacks for a brief time after about 6 months (this was actually shortly before the Sept. 11 attacks). There is the Venture Club of Charlotte, but that is mostly for dating. There are a lot of other activity groups too.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 38,523 times
Have you thought about joining classes that you would enjoy, maybe something you've never tried? hobbies or outdoor activities? I remember when I moved with my first job out of college and made many friends by playing v-ball with the city league, joining tennis league, ski club, rock climbing, kayaking, yoga, even tried skydiving. I was always into sports in school, but I also tried new things and met some great people in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte