Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times

Advertisements

Well the Lake Norman area, which in my definition includes Huntersville, Mooresville, Cornelius, Davidson, Denver. Maybe Concord as well though it is not connected to the lake but is in close proximity to these areas.

This area has not experienced normal, gradual growth, but explosive uncontrolled growth. You will never hear of a development or neighborhood being denied permits to build even when all reasoning says they should be denied. My town of Denver is getting a Super Walmart and Lowes next year. The infrastructure simply cannot keep up with all the population. The schools, particulary northern Mecklenburg county, are beyond overcrowded and have been for years.

Its "build the development first, then build the roads later" philosophy.

It just makes my jaw drop when I read newcomers typing on here about there not being any traffic or overcrowding. Bumper to bumper traffic is the same here as it is anywhere. Yeah you we may not have 6 lanes bumper to bumper here, but we have 4 lanes bumper to bumper, does it make it any better?

My complaint is that the growth needs to be haulted for a bit and let everything catch up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM

58 posts, read 286,854 times
Well said. Traffic is traffic. 2 lanes of bumper-to-bumper is just less claustrophobic than 5 I guess....

Old 08-30-2006, 02:31 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Default How many times?

Just curious I live in Monmouth county NJ my commute is never an issue. I work off hours. Just curious how many times in your commute from Mooresville to Charlotte were you cut off, tailgated, flipped the bird etc. I too am considering Mooresville however my commute will be to Lake Nelson because I will be retired. How you liking it so far.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM

295 posts, read 1,297,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headed4nc View Post
Did you get a chance to drive through River Run and the back roads from Davidson to Mooresville? They have a lot of smaller subdivisions on close to an acre wooded lots. Under 300,000, but if the commute is not to your liking it means nothing.

I agree I did not get the same feel for Lake Wylie though a beautiful area, Lake Norman has a unique charm of it's own.

Just wondering where you found smaller subdivisions with an acre wooded lot for less than $300K in or around Davidson?! I've been looking in that area, including Cornelius, and have found a number of places that were nice ... unfortunately they were all over $400k - some were well into the $500's. If you can find a place for under $300k in River Run ... I'll take two, please.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:18 PM

117 posts, read 416,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal View Post
Just wondering where you found smaller subdivisions with an acre wooded lot for less than $300K in or around Davidson?! I've been looking in that area, including Cornelius, and have found a number of places that were nice ... unfortunately they were all over $400k - some were well into the $500's. If you can find a place for under $300k in River Run ... I'll take two, please.

I just PM'd you. Yeah I'll take 2 too at River Run for that price, too bad I missed that boat.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:57 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Yes, that is about average for the morning commute especially from Mooresville. The problem is Lake Norman itself. Around Davidson that is the most narrow part of I-77 and also the merge lanes are less than desirable. The powers that be have talked about making it wider but that is going ot be a major overhaul. I cannot see it last the way it is much longer they must do something soon.

I am gald you enjoy the area. Next time stay at one of the hotels on exit 25. They are newer. Also FYI they are supposed to build a birkdale area around the Brawley School road area.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrustyfan View Post
Hi folks. Just returned from a 5 day prospecting visit to Iredell County, as we are considering the move to NC from NJ. Quite pleased with what we found , but I'll summarize our visit in another post.

On Monday (8/28), I tried the commute south from Mooresville (Exit 33) to Tyvola Road (South Park?) by the airport via 77 and 85. Weather was perfect (not a factor), and keep in mind the schools were just starting. Here's how it went:
  • 7:35 AM - Turned onto 77 South at Exit 33.
  • 70+ mph through Exit 30, then started to bog down to bumper-to-bumper at Exit 28.
  • From Exit 28 to Exit 23, it was stop and go, bumper-to-bumper.
  • After Exit 23, it opened up when it changed to 4 lanes + HOV.
  • At Exit 13 (85 junction), 77 south was back down to bumper-to-bumper.
  • Exited 77 south at exit 13 onto 85 south. Elapsed time, Exit 33 to Exit 13: 38 minutes.
  • 85 south (4 lanes, moderate traffic) moved very well to the Billy Graham Parkway exit.
  • Exited onto BGP, which also moved well over to Tyvola Road.
  • 8:28 AM: Arrived Tyvola Road.
  • Total elapsed time, Exit 33 (Mooresville) to Tyvola Road: 53 minutes.

So, for those of you who are familiar with this...what this a typical commute for that time and area? Just north of Exit 23, there were 2 cars on the center median with a police car. Did this cause some atypical congestion?

After arriving, I immediately turned around and timed the return trip to my origin at Exit 33. No delays, elapsed time: 28 minutes.

I was a little disappointed with the southbound congestion, but I wasn't going to evaluate it without further input. Since 77 is THE main artery there, I figured there would be heavy demand. I just didn't expect the stop-and-go at that part of the ride.

So, can any locals shed some light on this?

This is typical, in fact a little better than average. I tell anyone interested in moving here, PLEASE try to live on the side of town you work on - your life will be so much better. I arranged my life several years ago to NEVER have to use the interstates to go anywhere I need to go on a daily basis. I cannot tell you how much less stressed my life is than those fools living up at the lake and commuting back south into uptown Charlotte everyday. Even if someone gave me a millon dollar home at Lake Norman I would not live there if I had to use 77 or 85 to get to work - I'm serious. Yesterday there was an accident in the morning that shut everything down - people were 2 and 3 hours late for work. If you are determined to live in Iredell county maybe you could telecommute?

Old 08-30-2006, 06:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
How is the commute running the other way, meaning if you like south of charlotte in union county?

Or commuting from union to the university area?

Old 08-30-2006, 06:30 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
if you have to go through Charlotte during your commute you will eventually hit some kind of bottle neck. If you are going out of town during rush hour
(against traffic) you should not have any issues.

Does this make any sense ???

Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
yes, it does ... sometimes traffic runs both ways and is why i asked, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte