Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Really? I've seen males & females, black, white, & Asian wearing backwards ball caps.

The dress code is sufficiently vague that it could apply to males & females. Keep in mind that you can go into a lot of workplaces & see cleavage displayed.
Vague would simply state "innapropriate dress". The code is very specific, how can " wearing non-forward facing caps" be misinterpreted?

I still don't know if the Epicenter has any non-caucasian, or for that matter, female, bouncers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,348 times
I read the article and the young man was wrong. By his own admission he'd been there before with no issues, implying his dress was within code. This is just like some restaurants that require a jacket or the removal of a hat before entering.

This was a case in which someone didn't want to be told what to do. So now he's embarrassed and pulled the race card in some sort of vindication. What's sad is he simply will contribute to the cynicism people have about this category of incidents so that when the real deal racial, gender, age, etc discrimination occurs they'll treat it as the crying wolf.

He should've fixed his hat, continued smoking his cigar and checked out the good looking women there as opposed to getting hauled off, finger printed and spending the remainder of the evening being processed...

Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,975,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I read the article and the young man was wrong. By his own admission he'd been there before with no issues, implying his dress was within code. This is just like some restaurants that require a jacket or the removal of a hat before entering.

This was a case in which someone didn't want to be told what to do. So now he's embarrassed and pulled the race card in some sort of vindication. What's sad is he simply will contribute to the cynicism people have about this category of incidents so that when the real deal racial, gender, age, etc discrimination occurs they'll treat it as the crying wolf.

He should've fixed his hat, continued smoking his cigar and checked out the good looking women there as opposed to getting hauled off, finger printed and spending the remainder of the evening being processed...
From what you said, I'm almost certain that's what happened! There is a dress code policy @ EpiCentre, however it's one of those unenforceable policies that they don't really use until after 8pm when underaged minors are supposed to leave the premises, then that's when they enforce the dress code policy more!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 AM

821 posts, read 1,856,961 times
Smile Pants on the Ground - Pants on the Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I'd gladly trade them the backwards hat for making kids pull their pants up to cover their arse.
Agree. AND, it's not just the kids (young teens), it's those in their 20's 30's and 40's. I saw a gentleman recently who is well into his 50's with the crotch of his pants at his knees doing a duck walk through a store. It was a duck walk because he could not put one foot in front of the other. Then, if people want to make a fashion statement based on a fashion trend that got its roots in prison and brought into the mainstream by gangstra types who are today's role models for too many kids, then that's what a free society allows. One does wonder, about kids - where are the parents?

"Pants on the ground. Pants on the ground. Looking like a fool. Pants on the ground"

Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
He, he, ha, ha,. Tober where do you buy a paint brush that big?
Lowes

Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,665,091 times
I'm not sure what to think. Some excerpts from an interview with Mr. Agnew:

"On June 2, he was arrested at the Epicentre entertainment complex in uptown Charlotte after he refused a security guard’s demand that he straighten his sideways-turned hat. The guard, who was African American, told police that Agnew’s hat was in violation of the EpiCentre’s dress code."

"He says young African Americans frequently are singled out for scrutiny at EpiCentre venues. “At some point you have to say, ‘This is enough, and it doesn’t make sense to me,' he said. Agnew said that at the time of his arrest he was dressed like many other young people in the crowd – shorts, T-shirt and a hat that he wore slightly askew. 'This is an outdoor event and people are dressed casually' he said. 'There might have been some people who came straight from work, but for the majority of the people, they are dressed casually.'"

"I had simply had enough. Think of it this way: You go somewhere, and the first time they say, “Sir, that hat, you just can’t wear that hat.” And even though other people are coming in wearing the same hat you say to yourself, “I just want to have a good time” and you take off the hat.

The second time you go to the door and they say, “Sir, that shirt; you’ve got to tuck that shirt in.” Everyone is going in with shirts not tucked in and you figure, “I still want to have a good time, fine.”

That third time, when they question you about the color of your belt or the quality of your jeans, you kind of begin to think, “Maybe they just don’t want me here. Maybe it’s me. Maybe it’s not the article of clothing I’m wearing.”

After that, even if they say your shoestrings are untied, you probably are going to refuse to tie your shoes because you’re sick of it.

You’re not loud, you're not rowdy, you’re not disorderly, you’re not drunk. But you look around and see other people getting thrown off the balcony because they’re drunk and they don’t discriminate against that group of people…it doesn’t balance itself. So yes, in my opinion, it was civil disobedience. I was very civil, I was very respectful, but I was very direct."

Q. You said you were unaware of a dress code at the EpiCentre. Had you known about it, would you have responded differently?

"If there was a dress code, yes, I would have. And if it were being enforced uniformly, yes, I would have…period, point blank, period… But it’s left to the whim of specific pavilion officers to approach who they deem necessary, and I was approached… There is no dress code policy where you can see it, period, absolutely none."

Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I'm not sure what to think. Some excerpts from an interview with Mr. Agnew:

"On June 2, he was arrested at the Epicentre entertainment complex in uptown Charlotte after he refused a security guard’s demand that he straighten his sideways-turned hat. The guard, who was African American, told police that Agnew’s hat was in violation of the EpiCentre’s dress code."

"He says young African Americans frequently are singled out for scrutiny at EpiCentre venues. “At some point you have to say, ‘This is enough, and it doesn’t make sense to me,' he said. Agnew said that at the time of his arrest he was dressed like many other young people in the crowd – shorts, T-shirt and a hat that he wore slightly askew. 'This is an outdoor event and people are dressed casually' he said. 'There might have been some people who came straight from work, but for the majority of the people, they are dressed casually.'"

"I had simply had enough. Think of it this way: You go somewhere, and the first time they say, “Sir, that hat, you just can’t wear that hat.” And even though other people are coming in wearing the same hat you say to yourself, “I just want to have a good time” and you take off the hat.

The second time you go to the door and they say, “Sir, that shirt; you’ve got to tuck that shirt in.” Everyone is going in with shirts not tucked in and you figure, “I still want to have a good time, fine.”

That third time, when they question you about the color of your belt or the quality of your jeans, you kind of begin to think, “Maybe they just don’t want me here. Maybe it’s me. Maybe it’s not the article of clothing I’m wearing.”

After that, even if they say your shoestrings are untied, you probably are going to refuse to tie your shoes because you’re sick of it.

You’re not loud, you're not rowdy, you’re not disorderly, you’re not drunk. But you look around and see other people getting thrown off the balcony because they’re drunk and they don’t discriminate against that group of people…it doesn’t balance itself. So yes, in my opinion, it was civil disobedience. I was very civil, I was very respectful, but I was very direct."

Q. You said you were unaware of a dress code at the EpiCentre. Had you known about it, would you have responded differently?

"If there was a dress code, yes, I would have. And if it were being enforced uniformly, yes, I would have…period, point blank, period… But it’s left to the whim of specific pavilion officers to approach who they deem necessary, and I was approached… There is no dress code policy where you can see it, period, absolutely none."
Thank you! this is great-he articulates his point very well
They just decided to single him out , and as I said before, the dress code isn't even on their website.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:20 AM

249 posts, read 500,124 times
This dress code makes me want to spend my money at Epicenter even more!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 AM

359 posts, read 592,424 times
LOL

I spoke with the arresting officers.

LOL!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Thank you! this is great-he articulates his point very well
They just decided to single him out , and as I said before, the dress code isn't even on their website.
He doesn't have a valid point, IMO. From the story I have heard, he was on private property and was asked to turn his hat around. He refused. If he thought it was so unfair why did he not simply just leave.

Perhaps the dress code wasn't being enforced uniformly, but that doesn't really matter. # 1, life is not fair and # 2, you are still on private property. If he was so concerned with justice and a boycott he should have just left immediately.

Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte