Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,962 times

Advertisements

Sounds if a woman was robbed at gunpoint at her home in Ballantyne, or somewhere in that area, last night around 11pm. The robbers seemed not to mind the woman had a baby with her. The woman said it was 3 Black men and two of them had guns.

With all this talk of home invasions, such as the one at Shanon Park, crime is moving out to the suburbs. Maybe this was the reason there was a helicopter flying around last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Boy oh boy, do you guys love your "home invasions"... lol

Police: Woman Robbed At Home After Leaving Work - News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Quote:
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police believed a woman may have been followed home from work and robbed.It happened in front of her home in the Ballantyne area at about 11 p.m. Saturday.Officers said the woman had left from La Romero's Supermarket on South Boulevard.The victim told police that three black men approached her when she arrived home. Two of them were armed.She said the men stole her deposit bags and drove away.CMPD did not get a good description of the men nor their vehicle.The incident remained under investigation Sunday morning.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
This?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,962 times
News says they will have more details at 6pm. They didn't know much when it was reported on the air at lunch.

(I don't have a link as I saw it on TV. I was going to back it up on the DVR, but my nephew's visiting rug rats changed the channel before I could do so.)

Last edited by yantosh22; 07-10-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Boy oh boy, do you guys love your "home invasions"... lol

I don't know of a soul that "loves" a home invasion.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I don't know of a soul that "loves" a home invasion.
Well, the media sure does (sensationalist headlines) and both you and yantosh will take every opportunity to do the same with your thread titles... Perfect example is this one here.

No details, blurb on the news... bam - home invasion thread on the forums. lol

It's cool - whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Well, the media sure does (sensationalist headlines) and both you and yantosh will take every opportunity to do the same with your thread titles... Perfect example is this one here.

No details, blurb on the news... bam - home invasion thread on the forums. lol

It's cool - whatever floats your boat.

When I post a thread like that I will either copy and paste the title from the source or if I am on the ipad will make it similar to the original article topic. Following that up with (CO article).

And just as you did, I posted the link to the DETAILS that are current, as I always do.

Whether YOU like it or not it is legitimte news and is worthy of posting. If it wewre your home or a family member you wouldn't think it was sensationalism if they gave the article/spot that title.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:06 AM

The term "home invasion" has no legal meaning in US Federal law... It's a scary sensationalist term favored by media and those who wish to illicit a reaction of fear.

My personal definition (we all can have our own since it's not defined by law) is when sociopaths force their way in and murder the entire family for sport. This has happened across the country over time and what I think of when I see the headline. There's also some frightening randomness to it - "the last house on the left" type of thing.

Meanwhile, in NC - "home invasions" that make the news usually end with the perp dead, not the homeowner / victim. To which I say, good for them.

Specific to this article... For better or worse, this woman was targeted - followed home because they knew she had the deposits on her. They must have cased this out and planned it some degree. They didn't kill her or take her inside rape / pillage her in front of her family. Sure, it's scary on its own and should reinforce that a woman traveling alone with large amounts of money late at night needs to take extra precautions in this economic time. It's not indicative of "home invasions" making their way out to the suburbs as the OP insinuates. That's what happens when you make large sweeping statements with no facts.

and lastly... the Charlotte Observer, which you favor, is a horrendous "source". It's frankly one of the worst news outlets I've ever read.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,655 times
Why would she take the deposit bags home? I used to make the deposit for a restaurant, and would take them right to the night depository at the bank. If she wasn't going to deposit them, why didn't she leave them in a safe at the store?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 AM

I favor the CO???? Hardly....
There aren't alot of options for news but none the less it is news and it did happen. You tell the people who has this horrific thing happen to them that it isn't that bad and sensationalized and let me know how it works for ya.

Quote:
The term "home invasion" has no legal meaning in US Federal law... It's a scary sensationalist term favored by media and those who wish to illicit a reaction of fear.

My personal definition (we all can have our own since it's not defined by law) is when sociopaths force their way in and murder the entire family for sport. This has happened across the country over time and what I think of when I see the headline. There's also some frightening randomness to it - "the last house on the left" type of thing.

Meanwhile, in NC - "home invasions" that make the news usually end with the perp dead, not the homeowner / victim. To which I say, good for them.

Specific to this article... For better or worse, this woman was targeted - followed home because they knew she had the deposits on her. They must have cased this out and planned it some degree. They didn't kill her or take her inside rape / pillage her in front of her family. Sure, it's scary on its own and should reinforce that a woman traveling alone with large amounts of money late at night needs to take extra precautions in this economic time. It's not indicative of "home invasions" making their way out to the suburbs as the OP insinuates. That's what happens when you make large sweeping statements with no facts.

and lastly... the Charlotte Observer, which you favor, is a horrendous "source". It's frankly one of the worst news outlets I've ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte