Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,506 times

Advertisements

Im sure this topic has been covered before but I thought it would be important to share with others so that they can be more vigilant and always on the alert. We hear about home invasions in Charlotte all too often now. And honestly there was a part of me that believed it would not happen to me. It didnt happen to me but it did happened to my sister (which is like happening to me) yesterday...while she was home!

My sister works as a school teacher so it's not her routine to be home during the day. However, school was out yesterday and my sister was home. She lives in SW Charlotte (Steele Creek). The doorbell rang around 2:30 yesterday. She didnt think anything of it. She looked out the window and saw a man at her door and noticed that he had parked his black SUV in her driveway (red flag). Anyway...she assumed he was a solicitor or just at the wrong home. He ranged the door bell a couple more time very forcefully (red flag). Then he started pounding on the door (red flag). But eventually he did start to walk away from the door. She noticed that he was on his cell. She said she assumed he was talking to the person whom's house he was trying to find. She just thought it was a case of someone at the wrong house. So naturally, she returned to whatever she was doing thinking he was leaving. As she started to walk towards the back of the house she heard what sounded like glass shattering. At that moment she grabbed her cell and ran to hide in the bedroom closet. She attempted to dial 911 several times but the phone would not connect! It just kept beeping and displayed "Emergency Call" on the screen. So she frantically called her husband telling him to come home. She remained in the closet b/c she didnt know if this man was in her house and if so, where in the house. Twenty mins later her husband arrived home to find the front door completely off the hinges. This thug had kicked in the front door so forcefully that it landed half way inside the house. What my sister thought was glass breaking was the front door being kicked in. Thank goodness she wasnt hurt. The thug did take her purse which was located at the bottom of the steps right at the entrance. We think that once he entered the house, he realized someone was home b/c the TV was on, the lights were on, the microwave had just finished cooking food so he probably smelled that, and he probably heard my sister's cell phone beeping every time she attempted to dial 911.

This is so unfortunate b/c the reality is that the chances of this person(s) being caught is slim to none. The police officer told my sister that instead of ignoring him, hoping he would leave, she should have talked to him through the door, letting him know someone was home.

It's such a sad state when we cant even be comfortable and feel safe in our own homes. To have to always be in a 'state of alert' is unfortunate. I just wanted to share b/c if you see any of the red flags that happened to her...CALL 911. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
WOW!! Thankfully, your sister is ok. What a traumatic experience for her!!

I cannot even imagine the fear that she experienced.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Very sorry to hear that. Hope you sister is doing okay.

Glad to know 911 works so well! My wife was put on hold last time she had to dial 911, wonderful!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
I'm glad that your sister wasn't injured.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Omg that's so scary. I'm glad she's ok.

Do you know why 911 didn't connect? Was it the cell phone, her being in the closet or was it 911 number failing? I would be really upset that 911 couldn't be dialed on my cell phone. What's the point of having a cell phone if we can't dial 911?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Lowe's sells these adjustable bars that have a plastic, two-prong "fork" on one end and a rubber foot on the other. You wedge the bar inbetween the doorhandle and the floor (with the fork on either side of the doorhandle shaft). They're ~$20 and make the door much harder to kick in.

I'm very sorry to hear this, but I'm glad your sister is OK.

Do they have an alarm?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your sisters experience. I'm glad she wasn't hurt.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default gosh

hooligan we have one of those on every door now. That is what I mean back in Philly and New York we never needed this in the suburbs and here all my neighbor's have them and we live in a very nice suburb neighborhood but the crime just seems over the top in the suburbs of Charlotte. I wish these thugs would just go away or get locked up for good.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:15 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Dogs are a good answer, too. Loud, large barking dogs. Thugs are afraid of them. My two bark all the time and I usually don't stop them (they are inside doing the barking) because I want the thugs to hear them and know that they (the dogs) are ready to chew them to bits.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I am so sorry to hear about your sister, Madison. But at the same time, I am glad you took the time to share the story w/ us so we know what is really going on "out there."

I hope your sister won't be too traumatized by all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte