Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 PM

22 posts, read 27,139 times

Advertisements

I did pay the county tax collector as directed. The county tax ax collector then sends a letter shortly thereafter stating all taxes have been paid in full (75,000+) and to pay the landlord in the future. Today I get an invoice from the landlord asking for the rent, and late charges if not paid by the 31st (for Aug. rent that went to the tax collector) I sent an e-mail as I like everything in some type of writing stating I paid as I was directed (which the the tax collector told me to send an e-mail after the visit, which I did, and I sent this e-mail with an amendment stating that the landlord should look to the tax collector for the rent money. The landlord then shot and e-mail back stating that the tax collector said the check was returned 8/19 (who keeps track of this, and why would the tax collector tell them this information over the phone about my check?) and I needed to re-issue a check to them (the landlord). The check has not cleared my account; however to place a stop payment would cost me $25.00. None of this is my fault, I am caught in the middle! They are saying they will charge me late fees! What is my recourse for this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Pink caddy you were right. That was what my beef was too. I spoke with the "owner" or managing partner, who has no problem with the rabbits. The person that sent the e-mail is an accounting manager and was talking bull. Pet peeve of mine; people blowing smoke up my @$%

Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 AM

150 posts, read 324,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What ever made you think all landlords are smart? Some LL cannot multiply :
y (rent per month lost) x 12 months per year = a lot of money vs. getting a $400 non refundable pet deposit + you monthly rentl = $$$$$ in LL pocket.
then subtract damages to property, holes in the walls, broken and abused appliances, stained carpet, broken light fixtures, broken faucets, a/c filters that were never checked/cleaned, broken cabinet handles, broken toilet seats, and a whole mess of pure filth, ALWAYS left behind by the tenants who just don't two $H@#'s about your place, because it ain't theirs, and 99% of the time, the landlord is losing money on their rental unit.

What kind of landlord would allow filthy rabbits in their unit anyways. Most places are really strict on pets for a good reason, and those who even allow small pets, usually don't recoup the damages caused by those pets in the small deposit.

So to say that it's all money in the LL's pocket, let's see you try to be a landlord, especially to someone with pets...

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,496,342 times
The city is now request tenants to pay their rent to them when property owners are delinquent on taxes. This is not a scam, but is certainly not a good idea as it creates much confusion for everyone involved.

I can't even imagine having a rabbit inside my apartment. Doesn't that smell?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 PM

385 posts, read 890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
The city is now request tenants to pay their rent to them when property owners are delinquent on taxes. This is not a scam, but is certainly not a good idea as it creates much confusion for everyone involved.

I can't even imagine having a rabbit inside my apartment. Doesn't that smell?

It's done all the time. More commonly with commercial property though. Lenders due it also. If you look deep within that vault of paperwork you signed when you took out a loan on your house you will see a garnishment or surrender of rents document/clause.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,496,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
It's done all the time. More commonly with commercial property though. Lenders due it also. If you look deep within that vault of paperwork you signed when you took out a loan on your house you will see a garnishment or surrender of rents document/clause.
It's called assignment of rents in the standard NC State bar deed of trust. I tried to exercise my right to collect on a delinquent loan I own, and the borrowed filed bankruptcy, doh!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 PM

9 posts, read 10,614 times
The latest lease you signed is the pertinent document. If you only signed the original lease, then it still stands. However, if you are still on the original lease it is probably month-to-month at this time. So, if the original lease would have allowed the rabbit, then the rabbit is still allowed. But, if you are on MTM the landlord can also just give you a 30 day notice to move out. You can also give the landlord a 30 day notice and take your rabbit elsewhere.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Tsk tsk pink caddy! The carpet has been replaced twice; not because of anything I have done but because the tub overflowed into the living room. Both times this happened was on a weekend. The manager of the property does not live on the property so the carpet was wet and soaked the entire weekend until they could come out and remove it. Another time the toilet overflowed on a Friday. I did not have a toilet to use until the plumber came out late Friday afternoon (better late than never). They had to replace the toilet - Again, it was not because of toilet paper, tampons or anything down the sewer lines which were snaked out and nothing was found. It was a faulty toilet that had something wrong with the line on the bottom going to the sewer line. I also had to put up with a maintenance man that came into my house without 24 hour notice while I was on vacation (because he had a copy of my key) and took items from my home: underwear and such. When he was confronted, he skipped town. The reason I stay here is that the schools are great for my daughter, and other than a few problems, it is a nice place to live.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:05 PM

Rabbits don't smell any more than cats. They use litter boxes that are cleaned twice a week as are the cages.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 PM

The tax collector returned my check with a note stating that taxes had been paid. The landlord mailed a new lease and I signed it. It seems all is in order thus far. Thanks for everyone's comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte