Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times

Advertisements

Don't know where the trend is headed, but I have heard rumors of where it started. From what I've been told, it started with guys being arrested (and their belts being one of the items removed during booking). As a result, many newly booked guys would have to walk around with legs spreaded wide in an attempt to keep their pants up. This "look" became a symbol of pride and rebellion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
bad public behavior. a loser flag, like tattoos and getting drunk. lots of fun. but have long lasting results.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Don't know where the trend is headed, but I have heard rumors of where it started. From what I've been told, it started with guys being arrested (and their belts being one of the items removed during booking). As a result, many newly booked guys would have to walk around with legs spreaded wide in an attempt to keep their pants up. This "look" became a symbol of pride and rebellion.
that's exactly where it started... then it went into rap videos and the rest is history. Now we have a generation of youth who willingly put themselves in a position where they can't get hired.

Tattoo's all over the face and body and dreads.. everyone wants to be Lil' ______ and be a rap star.

Unless you want to be tat artist, artist, or entertainer the chances of getting ahead are slim to none.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I still have yet to see someone (outside of college) wearing pajamas in public. Must be a Gastonia thing.
I've never seen it in Gastonia, or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:40 AM

181 posts, read 353,554 times
Pretty interesting piece in the paper. Dozens of teens and their take on sagging pants. Of course the race card is played by many.

Young Voices: Ban saggy pants in public? Yes, no, depends

Young Voices: Ban saggy pants in public? Yes, no, depends | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 AM

179 posts, read 399,413 times
Actually, sagging pants started in jail as some stated, but not because of getting arrested. It was done by gay inmates to let other inmates know that they wanted to get porked. So basically the hard, gangster,"thugs" walk around like a Peacock calling other males. So ignorant.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've never seen it in Gastonia, or anywhere else for that matter.
I stopped for gas and a drink at a gas station on Sugar Creek at I85 a few weeks ago. there were two women in pajama bottoms, halter tops that women of their...build...should never wear, and filthy bedroom slippers. I think they'd shuffled over from the notell next door.

Do I think saggy pants should be illegal, or the government should in some way intervene? No.

Do I laugh when I see someone wasting the use of one hand by holding up their pants? Absolutely. Do I laugh when they resemble a cartoon character waddling while trying to run across a street? Hell yeah I do.

Do I view saggy pants as an automatic strike against someone if I'm dealing with them for any reason? Pretty much, yes. Would I hire them? Probably not, but if their behavior and carriage were to lift them above the saggy pants mentality, I'd consider it.

Do I feel it's their right to take pride in representing the jail culture? Sure, but I don't feel bad for them if that behavior and others like it keeps them from bettering their place in society. It's their choice.

A week ago I saw an interview the local news was doing with a man standing in line at the unemployment agency. He had a grill (foll set of gold colored teeth), saggy baggies, and was wearing a looooonnngggg wifebeater (which although being several sizes too big still didn't reach his waistband), with his wide flat brim baseball cap on backwards. He looked just like the aforementioned rapper Lil (insert Lil name here, they all run together to me). He'd been out of work for a while, and actually said he couldn't understand why people wouldn't hire him.

Sigh.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 PM

292 posts, read 671,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I still have yet to see someone (outside of college) wearing pajamas in public. Must be a Gastonia thing.
Ah, you must not have seen me at the grocery store the other night. haha

Seriously though, pajama pants can be really cute. As far as seeing people at the gas station in pjs, they may be on a road trip. I often travel in pajama bottoms on road trips. Super comfy and fun.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 PM

181 posts, read 353,554 times
Check out the pictures of the saggin pants from the tuesday robbery at an arboretum ATM.

Police search for ATM robbery suspect | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/29/2650907/police-search-for-atm-robbery.html - broken link)

Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
I'll say the same thing I have aid to numerous people. Wearing your clothes like that screams to me that you have no self-respect. You don't care how you look. That tells me all I need to know when you try to do business with me, talk to me, etc. It's one thing to do it in a social setting, but quite another to do it when you are trying to get a job, rent an apartment, not make people look at you like you are a total moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte