Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:14 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I'm sure if you sat down, and thought rationally about it, you'd appreciate the effort they're putting in. I dont know about you, but I've had my home broken in to, my things gone through, and my possessions taken by pieces of human excrement that I would LOVE to do bodily harm to. I wish any of the residents of the 15 houses immediately adjacent to mine had had the intestinal fortitude to ask the pieces of **** that broke in to my house if they lived in the neighborhood. Did they? No, they all stayed in their homes, with their heads buried in the sand, hoping it never happened to them. Sad, I say.

So, granny asks you if you live in the subdivision. Rather than say "Hey, I dont live here, but Im visiting Joe Smith", you'd rather tell them "where to stick their knitting needles". Sir, is this the way you'd want someone speaking to your mother/grandmother?

Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
I'm sure if you sat down, and thought rationally about it, you'd appreciate the effort they're putting in. I dont know about you, but I've had my home broken in to, my things gone through, and my possessions taken by pieces of human excrement that I would LOVE to do bodily harm to. I wish any of the residents of the 15 houses immediately adjacent to mine had had the intestinal fortitude to ask the pieces of **** that broke in to my house if they lived in the neighborhood. Did they? No, they all stayed in their homes, with their heads buried in the sand, hoping it never happened to them. Sad, I say.

So, granny asks you if you live in the subdivision. Rather than say "Hey, I dont live here, but Im visiting Joe Smith", you'd rather tell them "where to stick their knitting needles". Sir, is this the way you'd want someone speaking to your mother/grandmother?
I believe I stated earlier that I agree with neighborhood watches and agree with some things they have done. However, when someone comes up to me with the attitude of "who are you and what are you doing here", I go into defensive mode. And if my mother/grandmother had that kind of attitude towards someone, I think they deserve to be taken down a peg as well.

Sorry your house was broken into.

In conclusion, every foot needs a big toe and I nominate you to be that big toe.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 PM

214 posts, read 399,219 times
Quote:

Now I can't speak for anyone else, but if a granny comes up to me asking me if I lived in the neighborhood I'd have no problems being polite and answering her question. If some self-righteous prick came up to me and tried to hassle me then that **** wouldn't fly. I think you can be proactive without being a turd.

In conclusion, I love the grannies doing their thing, but people that are jerks need to be brought down a notch.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 PM

359 posts, read 591,724 times
Quote:
I dont know about you, but I've had my home broken in to, my things gone through, and my possessions taken by pieces of human excrement that I would LOVE to do bodily harm to. I wish any of the residents of the 15 houses immediately adjacent to mine had had the intestinal fortitude to ask the pieces of **** that broke in to my house if they lived in the neighborhood. Did they? No, they all stayed in their homes, with their heads buried in the sand, hoping it never happened to them. Sad, I say.
You won't believe how many times people see suspicious vehicles or persons in their community and don't call police.

People have even heard sounds that are consistent with a door getting kicked in and they still don't do anything.

From my experience a good neighbor is hard to find.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I believe I stated earlier that I agree with neighborhood watches and agree with some things they have done. However, when someone comes up to me with the attitude of "who are you and what are you doing here", I go into defensive mode. And if my mother/grandmother had that kind of attitude towards someone, I think they deserve to be taken down a peg as well.

Sorry your house was broken into.

In conclusion, every foot needs a big toe and I nominate you to be that big toe.
LOL Who can argue with someone who works another "Stripes" quote in to the conversation?!?! Kudos!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
SO sad that I cant rep ya again, because you sure made me LMAO!!!
Quote:
LOL Who can argue with someone who works another "Stripes" quote in to the conversation?!?! Kudos!
A couple months ago I had a woman over for breakfast. She did not see the humor in being given the Aunt Jemima treatment.

Maybe the eggbeater was going too far.

Oops.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Dang, folks. It must be the heat . . .

I thought the moniker of "Vigilante Grannies" was a journalistic put down, also. Maybe the ladies refer to themselves that way in a light-hearted manner but where I grew up, Granny itself conjures up a scrawny hillbilly. I know that this is not the association others have with the word, as I have been told it is considered "affectionate" in many parts of the country. However, if I were a grandmother, and someone referred to me as a Granny, I would not only be offended, I would react vocally and visibly, lol.

But back to the rest of the thread . . . it is refreshing to know that folks of any age are paying attention to what is going on in their neighborhoods, especially when the neighborhood is changing due to folks coming into a park (or park-like) area and trashing it. I cannot imagine why folks would be upset about this.

Over the years, I have asked folks b/f if I could help them if they seemed "out of place" in any neighborhood where I have lived. What constitutes "out of place?" Well, here is my list . . . a vehicle that is sitting by the side of the road for a long period of time . . . a person who seems to be wandering from door to door and hanging around in between houses for a period of more than 30 or so minutes . . . a child that may seem distressed . . . an elderly person who is not dressed properly and seems confused (turns out this was a neighbor from several blocks over who had Alzheimer's and indeed, was totally lost - police came and we were able to narrow down what house he lived in after making some phone calls and the police going house to house). So there are definitely times it is not only appropriate to ask if someone needs some assistance . . . it can put anyone on notice who is "casing the neighborhood" or who is shooting up or selling drugs - letting them know that their surreptitious activity is not so surreptitious, after all.

I am never rude to folks if I ask them if I can help them . . . it is a legitimate request that serves several purposes.

These women are simply doing what we all hope will be done in our neighborhood - neighbors noticing what is going on. That is what crime watch is all about.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Ani, good points as usual.

Quote:
I practically lived Stripes in boot camp. We were late to our graduation because of our Guide. But we didn't get to do "boom, ackalacka, boom, ackalacka, boom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte