Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:17 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Good article.....

'Vigilante Grannies' are on the crime case | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/07/25/2481625/vigilante-grannies-are-on-the.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
I saw an article about these grannies a few weeks ago. I actually feel sad for them. They should be enjoying life instead of attempting to control others.

My mom, who is in her 70s, owns a company that organizes trips for Seniors to go and explore the USA. These folks have a great time and recently passed through Charlotte on a trip where I got to spend some time with them. This seems like a much better activity for one to spend in the later years of their lives than to go and try an police the young and stupid.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
I understand what you are saying and do a agree to a point, but I also think it is awesome that these ladies aren't afraid to look after their own community.

eta: And also won't be bullied by the punks.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
What next, Dirty Harriett?

FTA: "I'm not afraid to ask someone if they live here," she said.

While I think that neighborhood watch groups are fine and all, who the eff is she to question people walking or parking on a public street. If I am on a public street it is nobody's damn business if I live in the neighborhood or not.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM

468 posts, read 827,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I saw an article about these grannies a few weeks ago. I actually feel sad for them. They should be enjoying life instead of attempting to control others.

My mom, who is in her 70s, owns a company that organizes trips for Seniors to go and explore the USA. These folks have a great time and recently passed through Charlotte on a trip where I got to spend some time with them. This seems like a much better activity for one to spend in the later years of their lives than to go and try an police the young and stupid.

Control others? Are you kidding? Did you even read the article?

It is not a matter of controlling anyone. This particular neighborhood has always been a place where you could safely walk the street and a good neighborhood to raise children.

So many of the people in this little community have always been involved in protecting and watching over the assets that they have paid for through their homeowners association.

I don't agree with the name vigilante, as they are far from that. They are just women that are tired of seeing their community destroyed by insiders and outsiders. If they were doing anything improper, I am sure the police chief would have said so.

Who are you to question what a senior should do in their later lifetime. Your mom wants to bring joy and excitement to others by organizing trips. These ladies want to do something for the community to preserve it.

It is their lives and I dare say they should see fit to live them as they want in a legal way without judgment from you.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Hopefully, they won't go mad with power and turn into this:

‪Monty Python - Hell's Grannies‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What next, Dirty Harriett?

FTA: "I'm not afraid to ask someone if they live here," she said.

While I think that neighborhood watch groups are fine and all, who the eff is she to question people walking or parking on a public street. If I am on a public street it is nobody's damn business if I live in the neighborhood or not.
Yikes. I've asked people if they live in my neighborhood before. One time, around 9:00 in the evening in the winter, there was a car I didn't recognize parked outside of my house. There was a man sitting in the car. I turned on all of my outside lights, called my husband and next-door-neighbors to the front porch, and walked right up to the car and rapped on the window. I asked the man if he needed help, and if he lived here. I told him he looked suspicious sitting in his car, on a residential, suburban street, in the dark. It turned out that he lived nearby and had to take an overseas conference call. His wife was home with their new baby and he needed some quiet. He thanked me for looking out for the neighborhood, finished his call and went home.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
I think it is fantastic that several people want to get involved to look out for their neighborhood. It's called a neighborhood crime watch. People actually watching the comings/goings of the block help bring down the crime stats. That is awesome.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Control others? Are you kidding? Did you even read the article?....Who are you to question what a senior should do in their later lifetime. .
How silly, why in the world would I waste my time trying to "kid you"? Why don't you go back and listen to what you just said. I saw these grannies on TV so don't lecture me. Everyone is entitled to my opinion which I clearly stated that is what I was providing. Try growing up and accept that everyone doesn't share yours, which BTW, you didn't even state due the effort of trying to tell others what to think. geez.

Last edited by yantosh22; 07-26-2011 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-26-2011, 06:34 PM

468 posts, read 827,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
How silly, why in the world would I waste my time trying to "kid you"? Why don't you go back and listen to what you just said. I saw these grannies on TV so don't lecture me. Everyone is entitled to my opinion which I clearly stated that is what I was providing. Try growing up and accept that everyone doesn't share yours, which BTW, you didn't even state due the effort of trying to tell others what to think. geez.
Well, you seem to waste a lot of time speaking about things you know nothing about, thus the question.

I happen to live in this community and know the people involved. What you see on TV is not always what is the real deal. You have no idea what these people are like and why they feel this commitment to their community and neighbors. You formed and opinion from a spot on the TV news so therefore your opinion should not be questioned.

Since you are the one that has stated what seniors should and should not do, THIS senior is suggesting you take your own advice about growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte