Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 PM

31 posts, read 66,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdinfjmale View Post
I may actually suggest looking South to Fort Mill. The commute to Uptown Charlotte often takes less time from there than it does Huntersville. Also, the school system in Fort Mill blows Charlotte/Meck schools away. South Carolina is also more friendly on the wallet. We relocated to the area almost 4 years ago, and we do not regret choosing South Carolina at all.
I would agree with this. I live in Fort Mill and work in uptown Charlotte, and my commute averages 30 mins each way. The feel of teh town, however, crosses over from suburban into small town, so that may be an issue from a livability standpoint, but it is an option to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 PM

79 posts, read 280,343 times
Have you considered South Charlotte/Ballentyne area? You could commute up Providence Road, 521/Park Rd or 77N. Many options instead or 74 or 77S. We actually lived in the Stonecrest area when we 1st moved from Boston. Took about 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic and time of day.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aduke View Post
Have you considered South Charlotte/Ballentyne area? You could commute up Providence Road, 521/Park Rd or 77N. Many options instead or 74 or 77S. We actually lived in the Stonecrest area when we 1st moved from Boston. Took about 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic and time of day.
I actually have been moving the search that way. It seems like that area is more what we are looking for and the commute is right where we want it. Someone also mentioned a train to uptown?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 PM

57 posts, read 132,951 times
Highland Creek in northeast Charlotte has easy access to I85, very family friendly, additionally there are many people taking that route to BofA uptown and could probably carpool. Simple 25 minute drive down I85

Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseka44 View Post
Someone also mentioned a train to uptown?
There is a light rail line that roughly follows South Blvd at I-485 all the way to uptown Charlotte. Trip takes about 30 min each way. The stations on the I-485 end are park and ride with free parking.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
There is a light rail line that roughly follows South Blvd at I-485 all the way to uptown Charlotte. Trip takes about 30 min each way. The stations on the I-485 end are park and ride with free parking.
I take this whenever I go uptown, and depending on where the office is located I'd say it's a great deal.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
What is your price range? Would you prefer newer houses that are most likely in a new delopment with very little trees and landscaping (a house farm as my wife calls it), or, would you prefer and older neighborhood with more trees and privacy but older houses?

I am from southern NH and the neighborhoods down here are so different from New England. Most new houses are in these huge house farms which I find very ugly compared to my small NH town but many people like them. We chose an older neighborhood with a slightly newer/remolded house.

We love Charlotte btw. Hope you will too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte