Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times

Advertisements

This is what I did when I was looking for a tv. I figured out what options I needed. Then I read reviews of TV's that fit my criteria. There are free options that include supposed pro reviews and consumer reviews. You could also try Consumer Reports but you will have to pay to use their website or you can wait until they have a release a magazine that reviews tv's to check out for free at a store. Once you figure out what model(s) you want you can then price shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I've purchased from them quite a bit. I like them... they carry higher quality products than you'll find at Costco or Sams, but also have decent prices on the economy models as well.

They are a local business and their staff is very knowledgable.

Costco carries high quality items. If not in the store then online.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Let me know when you can pick up a Viking range from Costco...

Old 08-11-2011, 02:55 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
If you want to purchase "Authorized Dealer" appliances, Queen City is the place... Viking, SubZero, Monogram, etc.

When you talk to them, they'll match any price on anything else and they have a decent selection of everyday brands. You'll also get to talk to someone who knows appliances.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Most important to shop local .......

Old 08-11-2011, 04:24 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
They carry some high quality brands, but not necessarily the better models within those brands. And it's not infrequent that they are selling a closeout or transshipped item, which means no manufacturer warranty or support. Costco has (rightly) tightened up significantly on their warranty, so don't expect a lot of help from them. And of course there will be absolutely no help whatsoever with connecting, using, or maximizing a TV bought from them.

The internet is an excellent source of info IF you can slog through the 90% of garbage posted. Many people, including a lot of "experts", don't know squat about the real world of TVs or any other electronics. There are some people at QC that know their stuff, but there are some people there that are just in sales. I know, because I've worked with some of them. As with any company, the quality of your experience depends almost entirely on the employee with whom you're working.

Buy local, get the better service, everyone price matches the same models. Spend your time developing a relationship with a local shop rather than trying to squeeze the last possible nickel out of your purchase price.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,702 times
Thanks for all the replies.
To answer some of the replies, I have a membership to Costco but there you are limited to a small selection. Also their price is not always the lowest, I bought my son's TV at Walmart for 80.00 less than Costco - exact same model.
I have done my research and have a good idea on what set I want and was looking for some info on a local shop.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Call Robert Schindler at Audio Advice behind Carolina Place Mall 704-821-4510. Tell him Normie sent you. They're not really in the retail box business, but if he can't sell you a TV, he can probably steer you towards someone who can take care of you. I know he knows people at QC.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,410 times
Quote:

The OP is looking for a TV not a range. I was referring to TV because I have not seen ranges in Costco.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
The OP is looking for a TV not a range. I was referring to TV because I have not seen ranges in Costco.
the same can be said for TVs. I've never seen a Bravia Z series or Sony NX Series TV at Costco.

But I think the more important issue for some (like ME) is supporting a locally owned business that has a solid reputation in this city. A locally owned business that can tell you the difference between a $500 50" TV and a $1500 50" TV... The fact that they will compete with anyone's price is just icing on the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte