Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 05:29 AM

11 posts, read 26,075 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move from CT, to the Charlotte area, with our 3 kids ages 4,6 & 7. After getting out of the military, we moved from TX to be closer to family in MA & NY, and now reside in CT. A year later, we are still in shock of cost of living, and we were both born & raised in New England...My husband holds a job as a physician, and currently has job offers in Concord, NC. We are considering relocating to gain more financial stability, and head into milder winters. Anyone relocate from CT, or the northeast in general, to North Carolina? Pros & Cons? Looking for a family-oriented area, great schools, lots of parks & recreation, with access to great shopping & restaurants. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccuniowski View Post
My husband and I are considering a move from CT, to the Charlotte area, with our 3 kids ages 4,6 & 7. After getting out of the military, we moved from TX to be closer to family in MA & NY, and now reside in CT. A year later, we are still in shock of cost of living, and we were both born & raised in New England...My husband holds a job as a physician, and currently has job offers in Concord, NC. We are considering relocating to gain more financial stability, and head into milder winters. Anyone relocate from CT, or the northeast in general, to North Carolina? Pros & Cons? Looking for a family-oriented area, great schools, lots of parks & recreation, with access to great shopping & restaurants. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would be happy to send you a dm

Old 09-04-2011, 07:48 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
And people still don't think Northeners move here for the cost of living? heh ... its always the first comment it seems followed by the weather second..Moved here from CT five years ago..moving back in the spring. You are trading miserable winters for miserable summers. Your taxes up north pay for better school systems. No DOUBT its much cheaper to live here and your money will go much farther. The city here is beautiful , clean robust...picture Hartford size but twice as nice. Crime here is an eye opener though. Don't watch the news too much

All I can say is you may need to try it out for yourself to see if it works for you. Rent for a year if you do it..make sure you like it first. Keep in mind if you are leaving family and friends you will miss them.

Good luck....

Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Quote:
Anyone relocate from CT, or the northeast in general, to North Carolina?
Yes (originally from Newington, CT), as did my parents and two of my siblings. I can't answer real estate questions, but if there's any other specific questions, maybe I can answer some.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,655 times
We moved from RI to concord NC. My husband applied for over 400 teaching jobs and the only one he was offered was in NC. The cost of living is not as cheaper as everyone would have you believe....we pay the same in rent here as we did in RI (granted we have a much larger, nicer place). The price of homes is significantly lower and the houses are much nicer and newer, so you get more for your money when buying a house. Food is expensive here....especially meat and seems to never be on sale. Car insurance and home insurance are less but electricity and cable seem to be the same. I make 5,000 dollars yr more (work in healthcare) but my husband makes about 10,000 yr less (he's a teacher), so we're at the same level as back in RI, the only difference is we could afford a much nicer home here when we get around to buying a home.

Concord is a nice area, very family friendly, safe area (at least where we live) lots of parks/greenways and outdoor activities and 20-30 minute ride to Charlotte for museums, festivals etc. The summer is hot, but I lived in Arizona for 6 years so the heat is fine for me...I take heat over cold anytime!!

You pay less in taxes but remember you get what you pay for....so cabarrus county schools are better than charlotte mecklenberg schools but they may not be like the schools in CT. My husband can attest to that being a school teacher.

So I wouldn't recommend just moving for a cheaper way of life...but if you want a new area, less cold weather, etc than I would.

Last edited by lovethesunofnc; 09-04-2011 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,223 times
Charlotte is obviously not anything like NYC, so not being in close proximity to a city like NYC will be different, but Charlotte is much larger than Hartford. If you like city ammenities there is plenty to do in CLT for a family. Taxes are much lower here and the winter is much shorter and milder.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Charlotte is obviously not anything like NYC, so not being in close proximity to a city like NYC will be different, but Charlotte is much larger than Hartford. If you like city ammenities there is plenty to do in CLT for a family. Taxes are much lower here and the winter is much shorter and milder.
You think CITY CENTER Charlotte is bigger than city center Hartford?..If it is it isnt by much. Sure the surrounding area here is huge but I was talking the city limits itself. I dont know HOW you guys don't think its cheaper here. There may not be much here I like over New England but that's one thing, well the only thing.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:28 AM

30 posts, read 56,829 times
Lived in southwestern CT for 17 years before relocating to Houston, and then to Charlotte for work.

You definitely get a lot more house for the money, and the general cost of living is a bit lower as a whole. While you'll get dinged on gas and property taxes in CT, you'll lose out on sales tax and produce prices in the Charlotte area.

If you're accustomed to CT school systems, you will definitely want to consider putting your kids in a private school down here.

The crime is blown out of proportion down here. Maybe I'm accustomed to much worse having lived in Houston and close proximity to Bridgeport for quite some time.

The malls, parks, shopping, etc, shouldn't be a concern for you down here. Definitely plenty to do, though some areas are stronger than others in that department.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
You would not believe how many people I have helped relocate from CT to the Raleigh/Durham area. I myself relocated to Raleigh many years ago and love this area. Charlotte is nice and I have been there several times. I even like Matthews alot. I have a friend that is head of the Chamber there who once lived in Raleigh and may be moving back this way. Have you ever checked out this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte