Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Is that from elementary school or something?...way under my head. This is easier, take your thumb and shove it....LOL.
Real mature there buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:38 AM

218 posts, read 244,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Ummm, no. Not against the team this year, and at Ford Field.
Det is certainly making some noise, especially when their coach is a cry baby lol but as I stated Panthers will take them down in their own turf. Way overrated.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I'm sure you know this, but Carolina is #5 in the NFL in total yards while Cincy is 22nd. Cincy has scored 137 points to the Panthers 133. Huge yardage difference but basically even on points.

However, the difference IS defense. Cincy is 2nd in the league in total defense while lowly Carolina is 16th. We've given up 163 points to their 111 point total. A HUGE difference at this point in the season. Carolina moving the ball on offense hasn't really been the issue this year, it's been the inability to stop people from doing the same. Losing Beason and Davis for the season HURT bad. You don't plug in two second stringers into your starting LB's and not suffer substantially.

The fact the Panthers have gone from nearly last in every offensive stat from a year ago to 5th in the NFL in total yards with a ROOKIE QB and getting very little production from their stud RB's is quite impressive. Unfortunately defense wins games and it's just not there this year to do much more than hang close in games as we've seen.
Speaking of the running game, do you not think that has a huge effect from an offensive perspective...

More fun comparisons...
DeAngelo Williams last year had 87 touches at this point. This year 56.
Jonathan Stewart last year had 50 touches at this point. This year 44.

Cincy on the other hand still runs the ball with Benson. Benson last year had 123 touches at this point. This year 117.

Minus QB play
Cincy total rush on the year is 156 touches.
Carolina total rush on the year is 103 touches.

As for defense, remember Auburn won a National Championship without one last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle
Still a lot football left in the year and Panthers are improving. Carolina is scoring 2x as many points per game as last year and yet the offense is losing games? So logic isn't your strong point, I can dig it...
Never said offense is losing the game ALONE. All sides of the field are losing the games. Whether special teams hurting in Arizona or defense in Chicago or coaching against New Orleans (well, most games ) or offense settling for FGs/no points in red zone or Newton's many interceptions.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
That's a cop out answer. Cincy had 4 wins last season. They have already matched that this season. Defense or not, the offense still has to put up points. Note Dallas is number 5 in total defense and has a losing record.

The irony in this thread though is this...
We handicap young Newton (in the other thread) yet we don't handicap not one but two rookies both taken under Newton on Cincy's team. Again prior to these two, this offense still loses them ball games like it did last year.
No, its not. Fact is fact. For Dallas, you would have to look at other stats like turnovers...or specifically, the key turnovers they have made during clutch time.

Carolina's problem has not been points.

Cincy's defense right now, is #2 in the league. They are also #5 in points surrendered.

And Cincy last season? They were horrible...but Andy Dalton isnt the sole reason they are a better team this season.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
No, its not. Fact is fact. For Dallas, you would have to look at other stats like turnovers...or specifically, the key turnovers they have made during clutch time.
Fact: Newton leads all QBs (tied with Grossman) in Interceptions.

Quote:
Carolina's problem has not been points.
In a way it is. You have to outscore a team. See Auburn's run for National Championship.

Quote:
And Cincy last season? They were horrible...but Andy Dalton isnt the sole reason they are a better team this season.
Never said he was the "sole". I stated that Dalton + Green is the reason for their success compared to last year so far. I would like to hear you dispute that claim.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Quote:
Fact: Newton leads all QBs (tied with Grossman) in Interceptions.
So are you going to give him credit for the points the offense puts up?

Quote:
In a way it is. You have to outscore a team. See Auburn's run for National Championship.
No, it isnt. How is that not a byproduct of your defense being lousy? Moreover, you are honestly going to compare college football with professional?

Quote:
Never said he was the "sole". I stated that Dalton + Green is the reason for their success compared to last year so far. I would like to hear you dispute that claim.
Again, the defense this year is better than the defense last season. Granted, Dalton isnt making the mistakes that Carson Palmer was making last season. But you cannot dispute that this defense is better...Dalton doesnt have to put 21 points on the board every week to win. Palmer, last season, did.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Real mature there buddy.
LOL, can't take your own medicine? got punked.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:

Never said offense is losing the game ALONE. All sides of the field are losing the games. Whether special teams hurting in Arizona or defense in Chicago or coaching against New Orleans (well, most games ) or offense settling for FGs/no points in red zone or Newton's many interceptions.
"Defense"..."Defense"...."Defense"......you're really beginning to bore me with all this hater-aid. You were wrong in preseason and dead wrong now.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
That's the thing about you panther fans. Love to quote stats, and how great Cam is. If he was so great he would be winning games. He isn't. Only stat that matters is W-L. Go Steelers!
If you had any credibility with me it's gone now calling me a Panthers fan. I'm a football fan. I do not own the first piece of Panther memorabilia, clothing or anything else. I do understand the game however and can see improvement in the Panthers this year, regardless of their W-L record.

I do think the Panthers coaches got a little starry eyed after the first couple of weeks with Cam after watching him throw for so many yards and didn't commit to running the ball as they should. Cam isn't there just quite yet with his accuracy so he's going to turn it over if he has to rely on passing the ball.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:18 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
Quote:

LOL I've been a bystander in this thread for the most part, but couldn't help but laugh when I saw this statement twice. Comparing NFL play to college shows extremely lack in knowledge of football, unless you are trying to prove a biased point. NFL offenses are LIGHT YEARS ahead of college, relative to the overall strategy of the two. In college, defense can win championships, and usually does. In the NFL, offense is the dominant aspect of the game. You can't let teams score on you like the Panthers have, and expect to win games. Here's a little analysis for you ..... Panthers offense 8th in the league, defense at 32nd, special teams at 32nd.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Week 6 DVOA Ratings

If the defense could do anything, the offense has been scoring enough to win. Several running backs have already had their career best games agains this Carolina defense. Teams are pounding it on the ground against the Panthers. There is no way to win if you can't pull off some nice 3 & outs more often. It's comical to think that a rookie QB, regardless of talent, could take a team with no defense/special teams to a high level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte