Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Different perspective..moved here 4 years ago...its hot in summer, you'll miss NY, you'll miss your friends and family. The only good thing is its cheaper. Heading back in the spring...cant wait! Careful what you wish for as they say.

How happy you will be depends on your ability to adapt to different weather and culture.
HOT, HUMID and LOOOOOONG summers (but nice, short mild winters too)
Nightlife is sparse compared to NYC...Bars per capita are few and far between, or at least what most Yankees like me think of as a bar anyways. And a lot of the downtown(or uptown as they call it here) rolls up the side walks pretty early compared to NYC.
NY food is hard to find too.
I'm sorry but for the most part, Ya`all don't know how to make pizza, wings or a decent deli sandwich in the south. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 03:02 PM

841 posts, read 2,475,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Hi,

I live in Queens, ny and I can't deal with high cost of life and
living a rat race kind of life here;

I was thinling of Charlotte as a potential good destination
to relocate;

If you relocated to Charlotte from somwhere else in the us, how is your life
now? Are you happy? Met new friends? found a job? bought a home?

thank you ;-)
I moved down here just over 3 years ago from the Bronx..and I love it here. The cost of living is cheaper and life is just so easy and less hectic here. Nightlife is pretty good...Im 32 so I still like to go out and party every once in a while. However, I am married so I am not sure how it is to be single out here and partying. I haven't really met any friends out here...and I find pretty difficult to make friends..but then again, I am not a very outgoing person..I tend to be shy.

I did land a job before I moved out here and that's also what I would suggest you do if you do decide to move here. I hear lots of stories about people moving here w/ no job and have to move back home because they can't find anything. I did buy a house when I came down here...it's amazing the kind of home your money gets here vs. in NYC! I would have never been able to afford a house in NYC.

Overall...I am extremely happy with our choice to move here. I love to go back home to visit..but truthfully speaking..I would never want to move back! Especially being spoiled with my own driveway and parking 24/7!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,708 times
Perspective from a non-NYer.

Summers are hot and humid. Miserably humid, some days feel suffocating outside. Winters are mild and short.

It is a transplant city driven by corporate box stores. The mom and pop places are vanishing and being bulldozed. The city has no real identity or character.

Our cost of living went up coming down here, originally from the Midwest from an area I feel the cost of living is more reasonable. We were able to buy a house here, but we would've been able to buy a house with more land for the same price where we moved from. Our monthly expenses have gone up for groceries and taxes since both are higher here. The savings on heating is a wash since the cost for cooling cancels it out.

Traffic is becoming more and more congested and irritating (for me) as more people move here. The infrastructure was not designed for the population boom, and commutes can get crazy during rush hours based on my perspective.

The state government leaves a lot to be desired.

Many people are obsessed with material items. Never have seen so many luxury vehicles on the road in my life after 14 moves and 3 states than what I've seen in the Charlotte metro.

We've met people here, but we're not chummy with anyone in the area. Some seem nice enough, and others seem shallow.

Jobs - we moved down with job offers in hand. I highly recommend the same for out of state applicants. The job market is harsh with a lot of competition.

Overall: we moved here for the right reasons, but my love affair has long since diminished and we will be moving on when the time comes. There are plenty of outdoor activities to do, the spring and fall are wonderful and the city is clean. Charlotte is just not a good fit for us. We are perfectly happy in our lives and go about our everyday business, it's just the little everyday annoyances that keep our plans focused for moving on when the time comes along.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:14 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,246 times
I moved here a year ago and still love it. Moved from VA. I have not met the shallow people I have read about on the posts. Love the people I work with. We had friends here before we moved (hubby lived here about 8 yrs ago). The weather does not bother me, if it is too humid stay in the house and chill. I cannot stand the cold so the winters here are fine by me. Don't know muchabout the nite life as I do not partake (I am yawning my head off by 10 pm). I have pretty much what I need close to me without driving an hour away like where I lived before. LOVE IT.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
I moved here a year ago from Columbia....Right down the street lol (less than 80 milies) but I love it here....25 and single....The night life is pretty good Uptown and NC Music factory as well as some other places around the city....Shopping is good enough....I love that it's not fast paced like NYC or ATL but it's not downright slow....Just the right speed....Everyone wants to talk about how hot it is during the summer but it's only 3 hot months out the year and there is this awesome invention called A/C so the heat shouldn't be a bother....You'd love it, and you'll still get to here your fellow NY accents because there are enough transplants down here lol

Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM

181 posts, read 353,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
How happy you will be depends on your ability to adapt to different weather and culture.
HOT, HUMID and LOOOOOONG summers (but nice, short mild winters too)
Nightlife is sparse compared to NYC...Bars per capita are few and far between, or at least what most Yankees like me think of as a bar anyways. And a lot of the downtown(or uptown as they call it here) rolls up the side walks pretty early compared to NYC.
NY food is hard to find too.
I'm sorry but for the most part, Ya`all don't know how to make pizza, wings or a decent deli sandwich in the south. lol
Enough of y'all (not ya'all) have moved here , complained about everything and opened up countless pizza places. Wings, fry them, toss with Frank's and butter.wow(Or oleo instead of butter per the recipe from Township Grille. It was run by people from upstate NY.)

As for the others complaining about shallow people, you ever stop to think you are the shallow people? Or that those other shallow people are from somewhere else? If you aren't paying sky high prices for a house like back home, maybe you can afford a luxury car to park in your driveway. Not park it is some alley, like back home.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
Enough of y'all (not ya'all) have moved here , complained about everything and opened up countless pizza places. Wings, fry them, toss with Frank's and butter.wow(Or oleo instead of butter per the recipe from Township Grille. It was run by people from upstate NY.)

As for the others complaining about shallow people, you ever stop to think you are the shallow people? Or that those other shallow people are from somewhere else? If you aren't paying sky high prices for a house like back home, maybe you can afford a luxury car to park in your driveway. Not park it is some alley, like back home.
Park in an alley? elaborate please

Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 PM

181 posts, read 353,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Park in an alley? elaborate please
Alley,or park on the street. In NYC you don't have a driveway. Maybe you pay $40 to park a car overnight in a parking deck where it is likely to come back with dents and scratches. Cars take a beating in NYC. That's why you don't see too many luxury cars there.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Moved here 5 years ago and love it!

Its like anything else....its what you make of it. Our family is very outgoing and we wanted to make this work, we did not come here w/a bad attitude looking for nitpicky reasons to go back.

Have a ton of friends, love the town (Indian Trail) we live in. Food and gas is pricier than what I was used to, but oh well.....kids love it.....weather is great. You can do way more outdoor activities here than up north. Traffic in the morning stinks on 485, but I traveled an hour each way back in Jersey so I'm used to it....

You also can't come here and try to bulldoze over people thinking your way is the best. You won't get anywhere...show respect and people will respect you back.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
Alley,or park on the street. In NYC you don't have a driveway. Maybe you pay $40 to park a car overnight in a parking deck where it is likely to come back with dents and scratches. Cars take a beating in NYC. That's why you don't see too many luxury cars there.
Well very few people who live in NYC actually own cars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte