Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM

8 posts, read 33,831 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many of the responses on this board are so upsetting. Not everyone lives in a neighborhood where trick or treating is popular and/or they live in apt complex. Who are you to deny a parent who wants to give their child that experience? This must only be a problem down here in the south because when I used to live in NJ it was common for families to drive to other neighborhoods to go trick or treating. I don't think it's necessarily about "connecting with your neighbors" it's really for the children, isn't it? Shame on people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgo28 View Post
Wow, so many of the responses on this board are so upsetting. Not everyone lives in a neighborhood where trick or treating is popular and/or they live in apt complex. Who are you to deny a parent who wants to give their child that experience? This must only be a problem down here in the south because when I used to live in NJ it was common for families to drive to other neighborhoods to go trick or treating. I don't think it's necessarily about "connecting with your neighbors" it's really for the children, isn't it? Shame on people
As stated in my post above yours, there are other options. It is neither upsetting or shameful. I live in a neighborhood that is very popular and kid friendly. I know most of the kids here. I don't mind several trick or treaters that don't live here but it becomes an issue when it's 30 or 40 of them. And yes that and more comes here and it's annoying. I am not exaggerating. I had a neighbor who bought extra for her kids' school and she ran out after 20 bags. I turned off my light after I finished my 5 bags. And it was only after a half hour. I didn't get to see the majority of the neighborhood kids and kids were asking my kids at school the next day why was our light off? That's who is "denying" a parent. Another parent.

It isn't a huge huge huge thing, but it's annoying. So I thank you to think about others before you think about your own kids as well. There malls, churches etc that are equipped to handle extra kids.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgo28 View Post
I moved down here from South Jersey. Large groups from Camden used to go to my town to trick or treat. This did create a problem when twice as many kids as were expected showed up. & you had no way to plan in advance for it.

Where I live down here, my neighborhood has mostly elderly people on fixed incomes. They can't afford it anymore. The city sponsors trick or treating downtown because there are several neighborhoods like mine.

Shame on you for chastising other people & not respecting what the other posters are saying.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I moved down here from South Jersey. Large groups from Camden used to go to my town to trick or treat. This did create a problem when twice as many kids as were expected showed up. & you had no way to plan in advance for it.

Where I live down here, my neighborhood has mostly elderly people on fixed incomes. They can't afford it anymore. The city sponsors trick or treating downtown because there are several neighborhoods like mine.

Shame on you for chastising other people & not respecting what the other posters are saying.
So much shaming going around, and nobody brings up our government?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM

238 posts, read 567,756 times
I get parents wanting their kids to get the experience of trick or treating, but as others have said there are other options.

We like trick or treating to be a fun time for the kids. We do it on our neighborhood where we know everyone.

In my old neighborhoold we'd see truck loads, yes truck loads of kids being dropped off to trick or treat. Most weren't even in costume, they just had grocery bags. Some were sketchy looking and made the experience uncomfortable.

it's trespassing as far as I see it. We have a no soliciting policy in our neighborhood.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
I get parents wanting their kids to get the experience of trick or treating, but as others have said there are other options.

We like trick or treating to be a fun time for the kids. We do it on our neighborhood where we know everyone.

In my old neighborhoold we'd see truck loads, yes truck loads of kids being dropped off to trick or treat. Most weren't even in costume, they just had grocery bags. Some were sketchy looking and made the experience uncomfortable.

it's trespassing as far as I see it. We have a no soliciting policy in our neighborhood.
You may see it as tresspassing but the state of NC does not.

§ 14‑159.13. Second degree trespass.
(a) Offense. – A person commits the offense of second degree trespass if, without authorization, he enters or remains on premises of another:
(1) After he has been notified not to enter or remain there by the owner, by a person in charge of the premises, by a lawful occupant, or by another authorized person; or
(2) That are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, with notice not to enter the premises.
(b) Classification. – Second degree trespass is a Class 3 misdemeanor. (1987, c. 700, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 102; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Old 10-04-2013, 11:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't mind several trick or treaters that don't live here but it becomes an issue when it's 30 or 40 of them. And yes that and more comes here and it's annoying. I am not exaggerating. I had a neighbor who bought extra for her kids' school and she ran out after 20 bags. I turned off my light after I finished my 5 bags. And it was only after a half hour. I didn't get to see the majority of the neighborhood kids and kids were asking my kids at school the next day why was our light off? That's who is "denying" a parent. Another parent.
Thats a good point. 20 bags of candy is a lot of candy to go through so quickly. Its not fair that your neighbors miss out on the candy that was really meant for them because so many parents decide that they need to truck their kids in from other areas. The community has created alternatives for these parents to give their kids a Halloween experience, so its not like the kids are being told not to have candy.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

unintentional irony loller.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times
Even in the 60s and 70s we were told not to go to any houses where we didn't know the people or "take candy from strangers".

Why would someone take their kids to a neighborhood where they don't know anyone in order to collect a bunch of candy? For those of you who do this, do you check the sexual offender registry before you leave the house? There are pedophiles in the "nice" neighborhoods too.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,404 times
After growing up in a very affluent neighborhood where I did see children coming in from other neighborhoods, I didn't really care. Unless there was a parent driving the children house to house and unloading/reloading the children. This was very annoying and unsafe since there were so many children wandering the streets and cars going from house to house is not practical. Also, if you're an adult this Halloween, please do not give out Bible Verses, Popcorn balls, granola bars, pencils, or toothbrushes. Give out candy(and the houses that gave out soda were pretty cool too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte