Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:17 AM

93 posts, read 393,433 times

Advertisements

Yes...I, too, live in a McCar home. I deeply regret the purchase, but, I do love my neighborhood and neighbors. So, for us, it's a 'catch 22'. McCar DID fix everything in my home...but...we have had over 14 months of problem after problem which was a huge nightmare! 4 gas leaks, 3 floor joyces shaved (so far!), electrical outlet hidden in wall behind sheetrock, walls not plumb, bowed 2 x 4's all over the place....you name it...we've had it. Some of the problems we've had to 'fight' for to have repaired. For instance, the lot grade was wrong and caused huge problems when it rained. They acknowledged the problem, agreed to fix it, but did a poor job of repair. Our lot has been redone a total of 8 times thus far! So...before you buy a McCar home, beware. They do not hire good sub-contractors. They can be lousy at returning phone calls and following through with promises. But, WHATEVER you do, get it all IN WRITING! Every repair. Every single problem.
GET IN WRITING! There is a huge revolving door on McCar Homes and workers constantly change and it becomes frustrating having to constantly reexplain EVERYTHING over and over again. And, NEVER believe them when they say "I promise...." Their promises are not good for anything. (Hense, getting everything in writing) Good luck. I'll never buy a McCar home again.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,077 times
Angry DO NOT BUY McCAR HOMES

Yes, I agree with all comments about McCar Home. Their home is a worst deal you can get for your money. Their construction is sloppy. Finishing and painting is of worst kind. I have seen one owner painting the entire house all over again only a few months after closing because the paint was sooooooooo bad! Another owner has put up a board outside the home mentioning not to buy any McCar Homes. Every homeowner in the Carramore neighbourhood in CARY appears to be very very unhappy about purchasing McCar Homes. Their contractors are extremely rude. For everything, you have to fight. Otherwise, they will use anything (cheap stuff) that is available to build your home. It appears that there is no quality control. If you look window panels and doors, all of them have something or the other problem (chipped off areas, major dents etc..). It appears they must be picking seconds from manufacturers for building their houses or they must be having equally sloppy manufacturer who sells these materials to these people at very low cost.

Anyway, bottomline is DO NOT BUY ANY McCAR HOMES in future. However, the big question is what to do with the house that has already been bought. Well, FIGHT!, FIGHT! and FIGHT! with higher ups in the company till they fix all problems. Alternatively, all owners should get together and sue them big time!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 36,382 times
Good afternoon, allow me to introduce myself, My name is Rob McCrae and I am the Vice President of Construction for McCar Homes. I felt a need to respnd and offer some help. As I read these postings and those similar. I can not express the disappointment it brings to me. I am ultimately responsible for your complete satifaction. I want to apologize for any of the frustrations, fear, or overall corcerns you have encountered in your McCar Home. That certainly is not our intent and we have to continue to get better. Your Homebuilding experiance should be one of confidence, pride, and security. Confidence that you made the right choice in choosing McCar, Pride in the workmanship and materials used to create your McCar home. and security that whatever issues that may arise in regards to your McCar home, McCar will be there to help you. It is important to me and all that work at McCar, that every one of McCar's customers "feels" that way. By the tone of these postings we have a long way to go. I emplore each of you, if you have not reached the level of satifaction that I and each employee at McCar want for you, to email me directly. rmccrae@mccarhomes.com. I will personally get you some help.
Your homebuying and homeownership with McCar should be an experiance second to none.
I look forward to helping you
Rob

Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,668 times
These were one of the first homes I was thinking about buying. Glad I didn't buy a MCCAR

Old 12-05-2006, 12:29 PM

191 posts, read 1,001,778 times
McCarr homes are in Moss Creek, Concord too aren't they? THe floor plans look so nice, especiallly the hardwood floors. Are the houses shabby? We are considering these homes withing the next few months.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPGH View Post
McCarr homes are in Moss Creek, Concord too aren't they? THe floor plans look so nice, especiallly the hardwood floors. Are the houses shabby? We are considering these homes withing the next few months.
The homes are beautiful to the eye, but, it's what you discover AFTER you sign on the bottom line that will scare you to death! McCar 'says' they'll fix everything, but, the quality and workmanship have been horrible. The employees are often transferred or laid off which leaves you, the homeowner, having to deal with new people and reexplaining your problems over and over again. It's very frustrating. The employees are very placating and even down right disrespectful and rude when you point out problems. Then, when you have no choice but to fight them on the problems, well, then they turn on you and make you out to be the bad guy. I'm currently in contact with Rob McRae, vice president of construction with McCar. He posted on this forum. He says he's genuinely concerned and wants to make things right. If McCar can turn itself around they might be able to stop this situation from exploding. It would be wonderful if McCar did the right thing with each unhappy homeowner. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome of our conversations so you can have better knowledge when deciding on purchasing with McCar. I hate to be the 'pain', but, somebody's gotta do it!! After all, is it too much to expect a quality home from a builder you give your money to? We shouldn't have to expect or accept anything less.

Last edited by dsolnmsol; 12-12-2006 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: just because

Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 PM

140 posts, read 590,147 times
It is good to know that the builders monotor the threads, lets see if they actually care. Has anyone else talked to Rob McRae and what has been his response? I do not have a McCar home but I have a found mold in the building process and am waiting to see how it is handled. if it isnt I will start posting here also.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:15 PM

218 posts, read 253,570 times
I have dealt with McCar on 5 occasions in 2 years, however it was always a spec home that had been sitting too long. I don't think it's fair to label all McCar homes as "poor quality" A subdivision is only as good as the Super that's in charge of it, and thats a fact!

I understand that corners can be cut so that numbers and schedules are met. That is due to an unscrupulous middle management person or below, not company policy. The contractors aren't paid to be polite. Their mentality is "I show up to the job site and do the least work possible so I get a paycheck." I hate to be harsh, but they don't care about you. In Charlotte, I know of a McCar neighborhood that is "falling apart" and has a ridiculous foreclosure rate, and I know another that I would call "pristine" and is appreciating very nicely.

My point is it all depends on the people involved, and when you think of the logistics of the builder business, it's hard to keep track of what everyone is doing, every single day in every location. This is also another reason to follow the already given, excellent advice: GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!

This is not an "excuse" by any means to those who feel they received sub-standard quality, and I hope Mr McRae and his colleages will step up and make things right.

Thats what I LOVE about the internet! It allows people with similar interests/causes to get together fast!

Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 PM

"I don't think it's fair to label all McCar homes as "poor quality" A subdivision is only as good as the Super that's in charge of it, and thats a fact!"

Charlotte ePro: I very much agree with your post. But, the bottom line is that at the end of the day, McCar is still responsible for all their employees AND their subs. It's McCar's name and reputation that's at stake. So, if one neighborhood, like mine, is a "hotbed" of problems, it ultimately hurts McCar because one bad word of mouth from one customer can lead to 100 lost customers. Word of mouth spreads. Negative feedback is just as virulent as positive, with obvious far worse reprocussions. When homeowners are happy and treated well and delivered a quality home...they spread the news just as quickly!! But, when homeowners are not treated well, pushed aside, and expected to accept poor quality, well...that news can travel just as fast with far damaging results. It is my goal to hold my builder accountable. While they can not erase what they've put my family through, they have an opportunity to make things right. They have the chance to turn around how they do their business. Mr. McRae did not contact me personally today, but, he sent me a brief e-mail response, and, he did have a couple of McCar employees reach out to me immediately this morning and a visit to my home this afternoon. That's a good start! McCar has emphasized that their ultimate desire is to rectify what has happened and make us happy homeowners. I hope this is true. But, as you can see from the posts, this is not an isolated incident. It is unfortunately widespread. Again...to all interested, I'll keep you posted on what happens. As much as McCar desires happy homeowners, I desire to be one of those.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM

218 posts, read 253,570 times
I'm on your side dsolnmsol, and you're 100 percent right. I just wanted to present a minor point that I felt was objective. Don't relent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte