Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,861 times

Advertisements

A Gay couple I know bought a house there and really regretted it due to crime. There have been lots of break-ins on all sides of them. Everyone told them, NODA is perfect to you (stereotyping a bit too much?). They are looking to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
It isn't THAT bad. There are issues, but nothing worse than some other up-and-coming areas.

You just have to keep in mind that NoDa used to be a poorer neighborhood and there are still poor neighborhoods around it. With those neighborhoods there will be crime. Now that the bargain properties are no longer available, its not as attractive as it once was. But people still seem to love NoDa even with all of its faults.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:25 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
Back on topic, I wouldn't let my dog or say worst enemy move to Noda. With the exception of a few good restaurants like Cowfish and the wonderful 24/7 bakery many mentioned oh and the occasional open mic at the evening muse I wouldn't move there.
Do you mean Cabo Fish Taco? Cowfish is in South Park.

I like NoDa. There are some downsides but for the most part the crime is isolated. As with most places, if you don't go looking for trouble, it won't go looking for you.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
I do think if you live in the area, reasonable actions like having an alarm system, long deadbolts, etc. would be helpful. I have too many friends there who've had property stolen from their home to say otherwise. They weren't looking for trouble! But they made it easy, with just locking the doorknob, not the deadbolt, keeping valuables visible through their windows, etc.

This is one of those areas that's really suffered with the economic downturn - once more people invest again, it will be on the upswing again, and as palmetto75 pointed out, with the light rail, more folks will want to live there.

My friends who live there love it. One friend did move out because of the crime - he had young kids. Nothing had happened to him or his neighbors, but he said he got tired of hearing sirens.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:44 AM

A lot of the sirens are firetrucks and ambulances. I hear them all night. If I do move, I don't know if I will be able to sleep. Perhaps the people who make those soundscapes CD's make one for the inner-city/urban area types.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 PM

385 posts, read 890,333 times
Also, keep in mind the name NODA is lot a legal description of the area and therefore can be used pretty broadly in classifying the area geographically. Several places claim to be in NODA but are on the "fringe" at best.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,036,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Amelie's:
2424 NOrth DAvidson Street

North Davidson Street goes all the way down to First Ward. You can't seriously think that NoDa the neighborhood stretches all the way to First Ward, can you?

My comment stands, as does my admonition to avoid walking from the heart of NoDa (the neighborhood) down to Amelies at night.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:28 PM

185 posts, read 318,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Do you mean Cabo Fish Taco? Cowfish is in South Park.

I like NoDa. There are some downsides but for the most part the crime is isolated. As with most places, if you don't go looking for trouble, it won't go looking for you.
Yes that is correct! Ive been to both and often get them mixed up Mmmm I can taste the Rasta Pasta now!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 PM

128 posts, read 222,280 times
I live near Noda, and have also worked there (actually before it was NoDa when it was just an arts neighborhood called North Davidson). Now, I live in a quiet, diverse neighborhood on the other side of The Plaza from NoDa whose home values are a lot less, that's less "cool" but where there is less crime. The main issue regarding crime that happens in NoDa but not on my street (arguably equally near or in high crime areas) is that it is hard to know who is "supposed" to be around in NoDa because of all the folks visiting the fun restaurants and bars. On my street the kids are out playing and the neighbors are aware of who lives where. All that being said, it would be fun to live in NoDa and head over to Smelly Cat, Evening Muse or Cabo Fish Taco. I definately should have bought early there. Probably not at night by myself but I would have no issue walking from the "heart" of NoDa to Amelies. But, I also wouldn't like to walk from South Park Mall to Phillips Place by myself at night. My recommendation to anyone who is intersted in being an "urban pioneer" or just looking for affordable, non suburban (reasonably safe) housing near uptown is to visit the location at all different times or day and night, especially a nice Saturday night at around 10pm. Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to talk to neighbors. Dilworth, Elizabeth and Plaza Midwood were once considered risky. In fact I've heard that Dilworth at one time was "red lined" and folks had problems getting mortgages there because of it's perception of being a "risky" area.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 AM

cltpeep, you make a good point about not knowing who should be there and who shouldn't. It's almost funny how far back into the neighborhood cars are parked on a Friday or Saturday night. I'm a little surprised people around there haven't tried to get no parking signs or something. Sometimes it is hard to get between parked cars in a car. Imagine the fun in a big truck.

Before anyone gets their undies in a twist, what I mean by should and shouldn't be there are the people who are in the area for something other than causing trouble. I feel like I had to say that since some people are just looking for something to get cranky about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte