Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

Walking from NoDa to downtown any time is stupid. It's just not a short walk. I've done it a couple of times, years ago, and I decided the trip was better made by vehicle.

As far as the race issue, I was not trying to bring that into this discussion. I think some people are afraid to walk int he area because of black people, but you are as likely to get robbed by a white guy, so its a moot point. While training for a triathlon, I did several bike rides up Tryon Street from Matheson Ave to 7th and Graham and back. Never had a problem other than the sidewalks being way too rough to ride and trying to ride Tryon on a bike is nothing short of a suicide mission. You'd be hit by 3 cars before you ever had any other trouble. I wound up using Parkwood and Brevard to make the ride. Less traffic and much smoother.

But, back to my point, walking from NoDa to downtown is a waste of time. Get a cab or drive your own car. Take the bus. Just don't think walking down there is some good idea. Unless you have plenty of time to kill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
why would anyone want to walk from NoDa to Uptown at night? Who would walk that far in any area at night?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Walking from NoDa to downtown any time is stupid. It's just not a short walk. I've done it a couple of times, years ago, and I decided the trip was better made by vehicle.

As far as the race issue, I was not trying to bring that into this discussion. I think some people are afraid to walk int he area because of black people, but you are as likely to get robbed by a white guy, so its a moot point. While training for a triathlon, I did several bike rides up Tryon Street from Matheson Ave to 7th and Graham and back. Never had a problem other than the sidewalks being way too rough to ride and trying to ride Tryon on a bike is nothing short of a suicide mission. You'd be hit by 3 cars before you ever had any other trouble. I wound up using Parkwood and Brevard to make the ride. Less traffic and much smoother.

But, back to my point, walking from NoDa to downtown is a waste of time. Get a cab or drive your own car. Take the bus. Just don't think walking down there is some good idea. Unless you have plenty of time to kill.
First, I have no problem walking for miles. It certainly is not a waste of time for me. I am health conscious. When overseas, I walk miles to restaurants in a particular city. It is safe and leasurely. If I need a car, I rent one. Of course I only walk when I have time. I am a walker and did a section of the Apalachian Trail last year.

Secondly, we are talking about walking from uptown to NoDa. It is not a white area. White people are not going to rob you there. I don't want to get into a racial discussion as I don't like to debate that issue, but you need to look at crime statistics in this area. You seem to be under a misconception. All things are "not" the same.

I am sorry that I voice my opinon of NoDa. I was responding to an earlier inquiry about opions of the area. Newcomers should not be misled and given the bad along with the good.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
why would anyone want to walk from NoDa to Uptown at night? Who would walk that far in any area at night?
I would like to be able to walk from uptown to NoDa if I lived there. I am not your typical American. I could, and have, lived fine without a car for periods in my adult life. My point was what you just mentioned. You can not walk from or to uptown at night in any safety, therfore I wouldn't want to. For me, three miles one way is a perfect distance for a walk.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM

185 posts, read 318,361 times
Im pretty sure the "big bad black" people who apparently make up the entire population *insert eye rolling here* of NoDa are more concerned with protecting their own homes and dare I say going on about their lives than trying to rob anyone else for their Ipod and penny loafers. And dare I say they are just as afraid to go out at night as some of us in that area but have no where to go...food for thought.

We all know racism is alive but can we leave it out of this topic and simply answer the op's question.

Race has nothing to do with why I dont feel safe there especially at night. There are too many abandoned buildings, unkept housing, and poor lighting. My general rule of thumb is, if I dont feel safe coming home late after a gathering, going out to my car to retrieve something I left it or to take my dog out to relieve herself, or walk her around the neighborhood then its not the place for me.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
one time we drove to Noda,
we sat at a red light and two
guys , one with a gun in hand,
came running down the sidewalk, around our car ,right on Davidson.

now they were not out to get us , they were in a fight
with a couple of other guys that ran thru people's yard.
1-2-3 they were gone, a bit of a surprise for us, we survived.

we drove on and had a nice time in Noda.
this has never stopped us from going back but we
always stay alert while in the area.

no need to try and tell people that all is rosy
in Noda, we have many friends in the area, most
have had things stolen at some point in time.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
I can see how the isolation wouldn't be pleasant for a long walker. Three miles is a nice 45-minute to an hour walk. My wife and I loved walking from our home downtown to Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth, Dilworth, Myers Park, South End, even as far as Park Road Shopping Center. But we never walked to NoDa or to the restaurants we liked on Freedom Drive and West Morehead. I would not take the chance walking down the section of Davidson between Parkwood and 12th street at night or even the late afternoon. I've seen too much shady things on that stretch to think its safe. And even though it is well traveled, it still seems dark. From 36th Street to Amelie's, sure, except for the underpass, it seems pretty safe.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool72 View Post
NoDa 28205 area, is this a decent, area for a 40 yr old couple with no kids and 2 dogs to buy a home? Would you say it is close to everything?
Thanks
mod note

This is what the OP seeking
Not race relation in the area, Pretty simple questions not a debate.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
The underpass really isn't an issue on Davidson Street. It's the one a block back that is always littered with beer bottles and other trash that can give you an uneasy feeling.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:03 PM

[quote=PeachInTheCity;21824468]Im pretty sure the "big bad black" people who apparently make up the entire population *insert eye rolling here* of NoDa are more concerned with protecting their own homes and dare I say going on about their lives than trying to rob anyone else for their Ipod and penny loafers. And dare I say they are just as afraid to go out at night as some of us in that area but have no where to go...food for thought.

We all know racism is alive but can we leave it out of this topic and simply answer the op's question.

I guess you failed to understand the part where I was talking about walking 'from' NoDa to uptown Charlotte. My concern is the area between NoDa to the uptown area. I hope you decide to make that journey some night so you can experience reality. I am sure that you will meet some really kind, welcoming people on the sidewalks.

I remember when the city of Miami made pamphlets available at airports telling visitors where not to drive their rental cars because of carjackings and murders. A few simpletons thought that this warning was insensitive so the pamphlets were discontinued. They obviously thought that it is better for a foreigner that is unaware with American crime areas to take a a bullet rather than make someone feel sad. Sometimes it is a better thing to point out reality than to worry about offending someone. I doubt if blacks will dispute or be angered for my pointing out that the area 'in between' isn't walker friendly at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte