Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM

19 posts, read 31,749 times

Advertisements

NoDa 28205 area, is this a decent, area for a 40 yr old couple with no kids and 2 dogs to buy a home? Would you say it is close to everything?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,944,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool72 View Post
NoDa 28205 area, is this a decent, area for a 40 yr old couple with no kids and 2 dogs to buy a home? Would you say it is close to everything?
Thanks
I would be happy to send you a direct message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,944,902 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-buy-noda.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...here-else.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...9331-noda.html

Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 AM

222 posts, read 551,892 times
I have to admit I am less than impressed with the NoDa area. A lot of my young-ish, artsy friends talk it up, but having visited the area this weekend I didn't feel it was a particularly safe area, and what constitutes "NoDa" seems to be a few restaurants and shops surrounded by an industrial area. Sort of reminds me of a place that a 20-year-old art student would have liked to live while in college. Not sure what your tastes are but that's just not my cup of tea.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM

385 posts, read 892,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
I have to admit I am less than impressed with the NoDa area. A lot of my young-ish, artsy friends talk it up, but having visited the area this weekend I didn't feel it was a particularly safe area, and what constitutes "NoDa" seems to be a few restaurants and shops surrounded by an industrial area. Sort of reminds me of a place that a 20-year-old art student would have liked to live while in college. Not sure what your tastes are but that's just not my cup of tea.

Actually always thought the area was overhyped myself and thought it would not survive as soon what attracted the trendy people there in the first place (cheap housing) was gone. However, have to admit the area has weathered the real estate storm pretty well. With the light rail coming in the next few years I'm pretty high on NODA. It will now be drictly linked to uptown and UNCC allowing some some of the immediate area surrounding it to gentrify as there are several large tracts of land available at prices feasible for development... even in this economy.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 AM

763 posts, read 825,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
I agree with you 100%. I just recently looked at one of the condos. that are currently being advertised as I thought of buying a place in town as an investment. I walked around the area and found that there really isn't anything for me. I guess am too old for NoDa. If I were artsy and in my 20s, it would be great. But it is small and not many restaurants, bars, etc. And, it is like living on an island. You can't walk into town because it is still very dangerous outside the area. I hope it prospers around that area, but I have recently read about some places closing. So, the future there may be uncertain. I am sure that the light rail will boost the area if that happens. My choice would be Plaza/Midwood for a better mix of lifestyles.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:40 AM

15,363 posts, read 12,698,124 times
NoDa is on an island and when we first got here we were unimpressed with the area. We went to a Gallery Crawl on First Friday and it was jumping.. we had a great time. NoDa is an area that will only thrive if people who enjoy art and want an art's district come out and support the area.

I wouldn't live there but if they get the rail it's a great are to be in the next few years.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 PM

205 posts, read 649,120 times
NoDa is an area that was carved out of a bad neighborhood several years back then the city and developers pumped in a bunch of money to develop it, starting with the renovation of the old mill and tried to clean the area up a bit and transform it to an "artsy" district.

The problem is that it is still surrounded by more crime prone neighborhoods. The only reason I go to NoDa is for a TASTY cheeseburger at Brooks' Sandwich House every now and then. I don't visit the area after dark. Sorry, I am just trying to be as honest as I can about the area.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 PM

763 posts, read 825,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc2sc778 View Post
NoDa is an area that was carved out of a bad neighborhood several years back then the city and developers pumped in a bunch of money to develop it, starting with the renovation of the old mill and tried to clean the area up a bit and transform it to an "artsy" district.

The problem is that it is still surrounded by more crime prone neighborhoods. The only reason I go to NoDa is for a TASTY cheeseburger at Brooks' Sandwich House every now and then. I don't visit the area after dark. Sorry, I am just trying to be as honest as I can about the area.
There is also a fantastic bakery/coffee shop where the condo complex is located that I look at. It had just received some award for being in the top ten in the U.S. I went in and it was really cool. Inside, it looked as if you were in San Francisco or some other place represented by all nations. Worth a check out. It is about a half mile from central NoDa going towards the city on Davidson St. Food was baked and prepared there as well.

For what it is worth, Obama was just there politicing.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM

15,363 posts, read 12,698,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
There is also a fantastic bakery/coffee shop where the condo complex is located that I look at. It had just received some award for being in the top ten in the U.S. I went in and it was really cool. Inside, it looked as if you were in San Francisco or some other place represented by all nations. Worth a check out. It is about a half mile from central NoDa going towards the city on Davidson St. Food was baked and prepared there as well.

For what it is worth, Obama was just there politicing.
Amelies... and they are open 24/7/365

They were just invited to D.C. because they went from 3 or 4 employees to over 70 during the downturn. Washington want's to find out how they did it and how others can learn from their success.

My wife loves the place..I'm not big on sweets or pastries but I like the atmosphere. They had a violin player when we went in the last time and that was around 9PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte