Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I like Rusan's for what it is. It's not a place I'd go for dinner, as there are other places I'd much rather be for a good meal. But the lunch buffet is tasy in it's own right.

I've done the AYCE lunch at Pisce's Sushi...

Pisces Sushi Bar and Lounge

...and like it very much. The food is made as you order it, and there's more nigiri variety than Rusan's. There is also more contrast in temperature; the broiled eel is warm while the rice it is on is cool.
I agree 100%. Pisces is nice if you have a lot of time for lunch, and Rusans is great for a quicker meal. I love them both for what they are. I like that Pisces has the unagi (eel) - I don't think I have ever seen it on Rusan's buffet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I agree 100%. Pisces is nice if you have a lot of time for lunch, and Rusans is great for a quicker meal. I love them both for what they are. I like that Pisces has the unagi (eel) - I don't think I have ever seen it on Rusan's buffet.
I make it a point to arrive at opening for most lunch meals. I get my choice of seats, and can take my time. It seldom takes me longer than an hour to eat lunch, and that is completely on my terms.

I've never seen it on Rusan's buffet. Their buffet is typically limited to salmon and tuna, in various forms. I imagine it would get vacuumed up, and it's probably much more expensive than salmon or tuna. Every now and then they'll pepper and sear some steak, slice it thin, and serve it sashimi style by the salad area of the buffet. It's gone almost instantly!

When I started eating sushi, unagi was the first 'exotic" thing I ate. Back then I had the impression that people started with California rolls, then went to the basic nigiri such as tuna and salmon, then progressed to the unagi, octopus, mackerel, spider roll, etc. Then come the exotic rolls with numerous ingredients.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:10 PM

20 posts, read 35,445 times
Cuisine Malaya on Elizabeth is pretty good.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 PM

153 posts, read 195,514 times
Ok, went to New Zealand. Prices were good, we had 3 rolls, - one great, one VERY good, one was just good (Discover Roll, H.O.T. Roll, Thousand Island Roll). Only complaints - how many menus do I really need? It was confusing. And, there's a lot of very tasty sauce all over the plate, but not a lot on the rolls. Personal preference, but I like deep-fried and saucy rolls. Haha.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Default Use of UrbanSpoon.com

For newcomers and those that like to dine out frequently at different places, I suggest using Urbanspoon.com. It lists all restaurants in the area and gives feedback, descriptions, and ratings. It is really useful and will give you the opportunity to voice your personal opinion. You can search by city or community.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Just read that yet another sushi/fusion Asian restaurant is opening on Piedmont Row. It's called AZN and is scheduled to open around Labor day. That makes 5 sushi restaurants within maybe a square mile.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty subjective, isn't it? For one, I don't think there are any Japanese people at Sushi 101. Definitely not the sushi chefs themselves. They're Hispanic and the servers are mostly Americans. It feels more like a chain than an independently owned old school sushi joint.

I've tried the AYCE at Pisces too. I like that it wasn't from a buffet. Instead, the servers kept checking to see if you wanted more then had it made fresh. The rolls were small, but they were tasty. Very cool-looking restaurant too. I'll have to take your word on the eel. It's the one kind of sushi I cannot bring myself to eat!
All the sushi chefs at sushi 101 go to Japan and complete a 6 week training course. The owners are Asian/American.

Not saying they are the most authentic, but their sushi chefs are trained properly. You don't have to be Japanese to make sushi/nigiri/sashimi etc...I can even do it.

Their Ahi Poke is fantastic!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times
I know nothing about sushi, but I know that a new kiosk for sushi opened in the 7th street public market recently. From what I hear it is pretty good.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Has anyone tried Minoda's on Tyvola? A friend goes there for half price sushi on Fridays and invited me for lunch tomorrow. The nigiri looks a little pricy but everything else seems inline pricewise. Certainly quality is my main concern.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 11-29-2012 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
A huge sushi place opened in Cornelius a couple of week ago. It is called Hibachi Sushi... I haven't tried it yet. I have only looked inside. It is in the same shopping center where Jack's Corner Tap and Big Al's are located. The daytime buffet is around $8.95 and dinner is $17.95 but crab, oysters and sashimi are available. I can't recommend as I don't know but it is a huge place that used to be K&W cafeteria and it looks pretty nice with a two huge buffet bars and what appears to be Mongolian BBQ cooking. Anyone have a comment on this place. I must admit that when I went in the other night to look at the crab, it didn't look real fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte