Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,711,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
Southbound, since you seem to be a resident traffic expert, could you chime in on this idea: Someone had suggested to us that the Cotswold area would be just as easy as some of the others we were looking at, because you could just hop on 74 to 277 (then I presume follow your previous advice of Wilkinson Blvd, etc.)
Does that make sense to you? We've been to Charlotte many times (have family there), but haven't yet tried any routes during rush hour like we should before committing to a house. It's very different visiting a city vs. planning to live there!
Thanks again for your ever-valuable input!
I'll be honest, I haven't been to Cotswold. However, if you are talking about 74 east of Uptown, that's a whole different scenario than west of uptown. East of Uptown it's called Independence Blvd. West of Uptown it's Wilkinson Blvd. 74 is an old US Highway. It goes by many names. From Charlotte to Kings Mountain it is Independence Blvd, Wilkinson Blvd, Franklin Blvd & Kings Mountain Highway. There are also stretches named for local polititians.

I can't give you a drive-time to reverse what I posted because I always make one or more stops. I have driven a good way out on Independence Blvd. It's a very busy road.

If you recall, in one of the Kings Mountain threads, Coupon Jack warned against Matthews & Union County. Jack travels the region for his job. He comes to Kings Mountain on a regular basis.

If you are somewhere in the vicinity of CMC, that is a tolerable commute, but I don't know which schools are involved there. I do know that there are a fair number of nurses at CMC Main who commute from Gastonia & Kings Mountain.

I think that there is another route to the CMC area from Cotswold, but I can't vouch for those roads. Before the Ulta opened in Gastonia, I tried to get an appointment at an Ulta in a shopping center in or near Cotswold. They didn't have an appropriate time open, so I went to the shop in University City.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-06-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM

37 posts, read 56,482 times
I do remember seeing that comment in the King's Mountain threads about traffic in Matthews/Pineville. Other people who live there have seconded that advice.
I'll be down there in a week or so to see for myself, but it really helps to narrow it down. Thanks once again!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,896 times
I believe Madison Park is Harding - you do not want to go there! Montibello is a great neighborhood but is South Meck High. A motivated student can do well there, but it's an average school

Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,711,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermama View Post
I do remember seeing that comment in the King's Mountain threads about traffic in Matthews/Pineville. Other people who live there have seconded that advice.
I'll be down there in a week or so to see for myself, but it really helps to narrow it down. Thanks once again!
I found that thread. It was BugGuy & Loves Mountain who advised against Matthews & Union County. Jack did post in the thread. https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-mountain.html

Old 01-06-2012, 04:33 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,403,709 times
a great charming area in cotswold is found off randolph rd towards fairview,
hunter lane, wonderwood and shasta lane.

not cookie cutter and a few moderns there.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM

Good catch on Madison Park and Montibello schools. I think my younger son would be fine at South Meck, but i'd worry about my older one...so glad we have the luxury of time to think it through.

@movedtothecoast: I'll take a look at that Randolph Rd/Fairview area when i'm there next week.

This is perfect - can't get this kind of specific information anywhere else!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
Hi Soccermomma-
How did your move to Charlotte work out? I'm in a similar situation except i 2012....kids will move there this summer 10th and 8th grade girls, and I'm really nervous about finding right neighborhood. We live in St Louis MO and love it...Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo1567 View Post
Hi Soccermomma-
How did your move to Charlotte work out? I'm in a similar situation except i 2012....kids will move there this summer 10th and 8th grade girls, and I'm really nervous about finding right neighborhood. We live in St Louis MO and love it...Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!
I moved an 8th grade rand 2 6th graders middle of the school year...my biggest concerns were they right neighborhood with enough kids their ages and the right school system. My kids did well but they did say it helped moving mid-year. However it is harder to move a highschooler here mid-year because we have semester like classes, meaning finals are next week or so, then all new classes start.

That being said do you know what district you want to move into? If you have picked a school we can point you to neighborhoods with many kids the ages of your kids. If you want you can direct message me, or post away here.

It will all work out everyone here seems to have been "the new kid" at some point which I think helps

Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 PM

@Jojo: We're not there yet! We'll be moving at the end of the school year, too. I'm going for a visit next week, an overview of neighborhoods and a few houses with our real estate agent.
I think mewith3 has the right idea; if my kids were younger we'd rather move during the school year, but they will be in 10th and 8th grade next year, too (but both boys). They were 8 and 6 last time we moved, and we moved in May, right before the school year ended, so they headed into summer with lots of new friends. But with a kid in high school, it's really disruptive to move during the school year, especially with so much emphasis on testing.
Funny that you're from St. Louis; I moved there when I was 14, and lived there for 16 years, until after I was married....our first house was in Kirkwood. Where do you live in St. Louis? Even though I'm not that familiar with Charlotte yet, I probably know St. Louis well enough to give you some idea of where you might find something similar in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte