Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times

Advertisements

BooneRT: Could you be more specific and list the beautiful areas of NJ. Apparently they aren't visible to me while driving (more than 20 times) the NJ Turnpike and The Garden State Parkway. Maybe you could recommend a more scenic route. I know a couple who sold their house in NJ, moved to NC, bought a larger house and had money left over. That seems like a great reason to move.

OP: Just a few years ago, it seemed there were more jobs in the Charlotte area than people to work in them. One example is the school systems were going to northern states to recruit teachers. Times have changed as the US economy has experienced difficulties. The health care field seems to still have jobs available. Unless you have savings to fall back on, I would agree with the others who have said have a job in hand before you move.

Mooresville has a lot of technology for its students if that is an important consideration for you. Unless you like to deal with lots of traffic commuting in and out of Mecklenburg County, you might want to look for a job in a hospital in one of the surrounding counties and live near your job. Even a commute from one side of Mecklenburg County to another can be tedious and irritating if you have to deal with it on a daily basis. You might want to check out the relatively new Jeff Gordon Children's Hospital at CMC-Northeast in Concord.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 01-06-2012 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
BooneRT: Could you be more specific and list the beautiful areas of NJ. Apparently they aren't visible to me while driving (more than 40 times) the NJ Turnpike and The Garden State Parkway. Maybe you could recommend a more scenic route. I know a couple who sold their house in NJ, moved to NC, bought a larger house and had money left over. That seems like a great reason to move.
LOL...did you ever get off the turnpike or parkway? Just off the parkway, nearly every beach except for Atlantic City and Seaside Heights is beautiful. And just north of Atlantic City there's even some decent waterviews on the parkway itself...but you probably weren't even on that part of it. Do you see much pretty scenery if you just stayed on 85 the whole time through NC? Around Kings Mountain is probably the only "scenic" area that I can think of.

I definitely don't want Charlotte to be like NJ, but contrary to popular belief, there are actually some good things about NJ. But for the most part it's just too expensive (as you mentioned).

Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM

284 posts, read 605,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneRT View Post
Having grown up in New Jersey I can give you hundreds of reasons to stay. I'm here because of the weather.....don't get me wrong, I love it here. But I didn't leave New Jersey because I hated it. Unfortunately most people only see Newark, Trenton, or Atlantic City when they think of New Jersey. The rest of the state is beautiful. There's a reason they call it the Garden State!
I was being a wise guy - I grew up outside Philly and know NJ very well - in fact, in NJ on business quite frequently. My family had a beach house in Avalon growing up. I like many things about NJ actually, but would take the Charlotte area any day. Obviously that's just one guy's opinion!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
BooneRT: Could you be more specific and list the beautiful areas of NJ. Apparently they aren't visible to me while driving (more than 20 times) the NJ Turnpike and The Garden State Parkway. Maybe you could recommend a more scenic route. I know a couple who sold their house in NJ, moved to NC, bought a larger house and had money left over. That seems like a great reason to move.
Apparently, you haven't been to the Pine Barrens, in South Jersey, or Cape May, or Haddonfield, or Princeton. . .but that would mean getting off the Turnpike & the Parkway. Since most of the drive on I 85 is urban, from Henderson to Gastonia, I guess we know what you consider scenic.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 AM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
Left NC to move to Jersey-lol Good luck

So much for sticking to her question.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:32 PM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
So much for sticking to her question.
I knew you would be right there to correct me,you are so good at it

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 AM

149 posts, read 410,140 times
Lived in NJ most of my life... and there are some very nice places. I lived in Sussex County until 2008 and it's a very nice, peaceful, country area.

That being said, I jumped at the opportunity to leave. There are many problems with NJ that the country could not fix (taxes, population, traffic, etc)

Old 01-07-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
LOL...did you ever get off the turnpike or parkway? Just off the parkway, nearly every beach except for Atlantic City and Seaside Heights is beautiful. And just north of Atlantic City there's even some decent waterviews on the parkway itself...but you probably weren't even on that part of it. Do you see much pretty scenery if you just stayed on 85 the whole time through NC? Around Kings Mountain is probably the only "scenic" area that I can think of.

I definitely don't want Charlotte to be like NJ, but contrary to popular belief, there are actually some good things about NJ. But for the most part it's just too expensive (as you mentioned).
I have been off the Turnpike--went through Princeton a time or two. Just passing through NJ, not planning a vacation there. I'll take your word for it that there are areas especially near the coast that are very nice....out of the way for me. I find I 85 more visually appealing than the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway from the Turnpike north...can't speak about the Parkway South from the Turnpike to the coast. I've had no reason to drive that part of it.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Well you probably should have said that in your other post when saying you've "driven it over 20 times." The parkway is over 170 miles long...the portion from the turnpike to NY is only about 40.

You do realize you were basically making a judgement about an entire state based off of about 150 miles of highway driving? Besides, on the turnpike from exit 1 to probably almost 8 you can't really see anything but trees, which is about the same as what you see on most of I-85 in NC...

Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well you probably should have said that in your other post when saying you've "driven it over 20 times." The parkway is over 170 miles long...the portion from the turnpike to NY is only about 40.

You do realize you were basically making a judgement about an entire state based off of about 150 miles of highway driving? Besides, on the turnpike from exit 1 to probably almost 8 you can't really see anything but trees, which is about the same as what you see on most of I-85 in NC...
We still have freedom of speech in this country, don't we? and we are all entitled to our opinions. I was sincere in hoping that someone might be able to suggest a nice alternate route but apparently I was wrong about that. Call it making a judgment if you like, but it wasn't about the ENTIRE state--just making an observation based on trying to get from one end of NJ to the other....from Delaware to NJ Turnpike to Garden State Parkway to NY state....and vice versa....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte