Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,733,413 times

Advertisements

CLT forum board last I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,787,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
We still have freedom of speech in this country, don't we? and we are all entitled to our opinions. I was sincere in hoping that someone might be able to suggest a nice alternate route but apparently I was wrong about that. Call it making a judgment if you like, but it wasn't about the ENTIRE state--just making an observation based on trying to get from one end of NJ to the other....from Delaware to NJ Turnpike to Garden State Parkway to NY state....and vice versa....
You certainly have freedom of speech, which you used to paint an entire state with a broad brush. If you did not mean the entire turnpike or the entire parkway, you did not say that.

BooneRT: Could you be more specific and list the beautiful areas of NJ. Apparently they aren't visible to me while driving (more than 20 times) the NJ Turnpike and The Garden State Parkway. Maybe you could recommend a more scenic route. I know a couple who sold their house in NJ, moved to NC, bought a larger house and had money left over. That seems like a great reason to move.

From the Delaware Memorial Bridge to Exit 7a of the NJTP you see little else but trees. I listed places that could be seen, & could have listed more, but you can't see them from those roads, which was your entire criterea. You sent me a snarky DM for answering the question that you posed.

I 85 was used, as that road is the main route in NC to & from the Charlotte area, from the MidAtlantic & the deep South. From Henderson to Gastonia, you are in or skirting towns & cities. From Exit 10 to Exit 5 you are going through Kings Mountain, but the town is set back & you mostly just see trees, so it's a bit more scenic. Whether it's an interstate or a toll road, you rarely see scenic in a fairly populated area until you get off the road.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-08-2012, 11:50 AM

338 posts, read 898,802 times
People who move here from NJ, LI, and other parts of the NY Metro tend not to be high-earners. They come here because it's cheap.

For the question regarding nice parts of NJ, search the following towns on Realtor.com: Alpine, Saddle River, Bernardsville, Menham, Franklin Lakes, and Tenafly, just to name a few. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if you're wealthy, NJ is much nicer than Charlotte. People who make $500k per year and more in NYC and who live in the foregoing towns, among others in NJ, are not moving to treeless, cookie-cutter developments in Charlotte that look fine for ten years maximum. (Developements from the 1980s and early 90s look lousy.) It's the retired cops, firemen, teachers, nurses, blue collar works and low-paid white collar workers who are.

Last edited by Londonlawyer; 01-08-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 01:15 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,733,413 times
^^^^^IMHO 1000% on target.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM

152 posts, read 292,779 times
I disagree with londonlawyer. Many of my well-to-do friends have left NY and relocated to NC.
We are looking for a change of pace! We are educated(most of my friends who relocated have masters), have solid careers and are not looking for a "cheaper" way of life.
You obviously havent visited jersey if you think it's nicer than NC!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,381,676 times
I agree that a lot of the people that leave NY/NJ are not high earners, but there are definitely a fair amount that are (waterfront on Lake Norman or some of the huge houses in UC come to mind). But I think those people staying in that area has more to do with the fact that their jobs are in NYC and can't be moved, and not that NJ is "much nicer" than NC.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlgirl71 View Post
I disagree with londonlawyer. Many of my well-to-do friends have left NY and relocated to NC.
We are looking for a change of pace! We are educated(most of my friends who relocated have masters), have solid careers and are not looking for a "cheaper" way of life.
You obviously havent visited jersey if you think it's nicer than NC!
No offense, but "well-to-do" and "educated" are very relative terms, and you've obviously never been to NJ. Moreover, you're clearly blind to blight in Charlotte. Have you driven down South Blvd. lately?

Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM

I had the misfortune of driving into Jersey City...once..once is enough.
Have you found a state that does not have a "less desirable"area?? Please let me know! Thx.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM

You clearly have a "Blakeney" level of sophistication, and therefore, Charlotte, rather than Manhattan, Boston or San Francisco, is clearly an appropriate place for you. To each, her own.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by a "blakeney level of sophistication"...nor do I care. I am a born and bred New Yorker who knows when it's time to leave. You seem like a bitter person who would be a perfect fit for Jersey or Boston. Please feel free to relocate if Charlotte is beneath you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte