Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yes, that is a good idea. I am in a large amount of traffic presumably caused by an accident so let me whip out my cellphone (or smartphone, whatever it is called) and check the news/maps/Internet. Sounds like a good way to cause another accident.
It sounds like you run into traffic on a daily basis. Wouldn't it make sense to check it before you leave home/the office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
It sounds like you run into traffic on a daily basis. Wouldn't it make sense to check it before you leave home/the office?
I used to check in the morning until I realized how poor they were. I'll admit that in the afternoon, they are usually OK. Most days I check before I leave and have saved myself a few headaches.

We need something similar to SigAlerts here. But, realistically, it probably won't happen. I only have two good options for getting into town: Idlewild to Independence or just Idlewild itself.

It's my own stupid fault for living out in the burbs.

Sig Alert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
I used to check in the morning until I realized how poor they were. I'll admit that in the afternoon, they are usually OK. Most days I check before I leave and have saved myself a few headaches.

We need something similar to SigAlerts here. But, realistically, it probably won't happen. I only have two good options for getting into town: Idlewild to Independence or just Idlewild itself.

I struggle with how Sig Alert would help here... The authorities just need to report the incidents accurately. Otherwise... Garbage In == Garbage Out no matter what you call it.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I struggle with how Sig Alert would help here... The authorities just need to report the incidents accurately. Otherwise... Garbage In == Garbage Out no matter what you call it.
Good point.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Good point.
P.S. Thanks for the link on the sig thing... cool history to read about.

In the end I agree with your OP and don't see why Meck can't get it straight with technology these days.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM

61 posts, read 146,881 times
I find it lacks on the radio. I think that goes along with my opinion of poor quality radio in Charlotte in general.

If you can, watch Brittany Begley on NBC in the morning. Probably the best traffic I have found in this city. If you are on Twitter, you can follow her at @wcnctraffic. It is a sign of the times really, that this breaking news and up-to-the minute anything seems to be on social media rather than more traditional mediums.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 PM

170 posts, read 458,628 times
+1 on using the Google Maps app to check traffic conditions to see how how far the backup is ahead. Radio/TV reports cannot match getting real time data from the smartphones everyone's carrying in the traffic tie up in front of you.

Dealing with traffic is less stressful when 1) you give yourself plenty of time 2) you avoid the usual trouble spots entirely (485 in South Charlotte between 5 & 7pm) and 3) you understand there will be days it is just bad.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
I usually check the traffic on 85 every morning on my phone before I decide whether or not to hop on there to get downtown.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
I usually listen to 1110AM until I get off the highway. There was a traffic report list night that said there was an accident on Mallard Creek Church Rd near 85. It did not say on which side of 85 or if it was on the Westbound or Eastbound lanes. A little more detail could save people tons of time. Luckily, I usually get off on Harris Rd and make my way to Mallard Creek Church Rd. instead of using the Mallard Creek Church Rd exit.

Another thing I hate is the merge traffic. It would be nice if they would say how far back the merge traffic goes. Will make missing it a little easier.

I sure hope the widening of 85 helps out with the merge delays you would always see starting at 485 before the construction started.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:

Leaving 10 to 15 minutes earlier would solve the problem. I don't even consider Idlewild the burbs.

You could also take Eastway to Central... Central is hardly ever backed up because everyone takes Monroe or Independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte