Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
Research and only research, also a website that will be turning over real soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
One more thing if I may.. I wish someone warned me before we spent a ton of money buying new construction in a cookie cutter neighborhood only to find schools, culture, etc ...were no where on par with what we had grown up with. My gosh I almost died when I took car thru some animal experience kind of place in Mooresville...that was one of the highlights in our three years there. You can only visit The Biltmore and commercial Myrtle so often.

Very vanilla and plain but BIG if that's what you're into good for you....myself not so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just want to set something straight about going to beaches from Charlotte . . . the natives head to Charleston or Savannah. In fact, a lot of folks in Charlotte own second homes or condos in one of those two areas. If one is inclined to head towards Myrtle, the end location would then be Pawley's Island, Litchfield and/or Georgetown. Just sayin' . . .
So true ani... here's a perfect example of someone who hypes "research" and actually knows so little - it's amazing to me.

forevaJersey - I hope your mini rant here isn't a glimpse of your work on this subject... If you're going to log the research yet still make uninformed subjective generalizations, please do your best to not pretend your biased view is journalistic in nature. You can take many a lesson from someone like ani who exemplifies how to "work it". Your writing on the NC experience reflects that you spent your time in the Charlotte metro with a negative tint to your vision of what the area is about. It's clear you had your mind made up from day 1 instead of doing the research you say you're doing now from 600+ miles away... and we should be honest here - emails, txts, and phone calls to other unhappy housewives who were "tricked" by their husbands to move down and are "stuck" doesn't count as research.

One thing about the cookie cutter comment because that one always gets me... The entire cookie cutter concept is epitomized by the suburban NYC area - Levitt invented the concept and it continued throughout the 60s and 70s when cookie cutter after cookie cutter neighborhood was developed in the NYC suburbs. You can drive 10 sq blocks in towns on LI where every house is the same tiny ranch or the same hi-ranch... all 30 or 40 years old now of poorly insulated, aluminum wired, balloon framed, energy hogs. They may not look AS cookie cutter because of the illegal weekend warrior extensions, varied siding choices, and crumbled driveways - but they are most certainly as "cookie cutter" as you can get. Do some research on how the NYC suburbs were developed and the building codes, common construction practices 30 or 40 years ago. Let us know then what cookie cutter really means.

In the end I don't disagree that there is an audience for your negative relocation writing... Some other women will clearly connect with your vision of relocations for the wrong reasons. Maybe that is the audience you're targeting intentionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 AM

185 posts, read 422,572 times
Oh, Do I like you Mikey - I agree with most everything you said, and as someone who has been looking to move to the CLT area for 3yrs now (this got waylaid due to NY real estate mkt - there are 4 houses for sale on my street alone!) I hope when we end up there it is in your neighborhood!! I live in beautiful Westchester Cty, and taxes on MY 60's split level are 12K! (I have family on LI, and trust me - I am no more upstate in Westchester than Suffolk - we walk the walk too!LOL MY DH (retired detective) do not want to move to CLT and make it like NY - we are leaving here for a reason, we will always be sentimental about how our area was when WE were growing up here - but it is NOT like that here now, we want at least the good things we had for our kids if not better. We will lay low as "New Yawkers" once down there and try to establish friendships that are not based on reminiscing where we left - when the true time to move arrives for us I'll try to steer away from THOSE NY/NJ types that have the big house/cars/lifestyle and are only there for that reason - give me old school family types like the neighborhood where I grew up (no matter where they are fom originally), just sayin' - Also, LOVED how you changed prev. poster's name to "forevaNJ"

PS In What part of CLT does trippinjack live? He was FUNNY - Dont slam the door on us yet - we want in first - and will promise to keep the secret!!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
Oh, Do I like you Mikey - I agree with most everything you said, and as someone who has been looking to move to the CLT area for 3yrs now (this got waylaid due to NY real estate mkt - there are 4 houses for sale on my street alone!) I hope when we end up there it is in your neighborhood!! I live in beautiful Westchester Cty, and taxes on MY 60's split level are 12K! (I have family on LI, and trust me - I am no more upstate in Westchester than Suffolk - we walk the walk too!LOL MY DH (retired detective) do not want to move to CLT and make it like NY - we are leaving here for a reason, we will always be sentimental about how our area was when WE were growing up here - but it is NOT like that here now, we want at least the good things we had for our kids if not better. We will lay low as "New Yawkers" once down there and try to establish friendships that are not based on reminiscing where we left - when the true time to move arrives for us I'll try to steer away from THOSE NY/NJ types that have the big house/cars/lifestyle and are only there for that reason - give me old school family types like the neighborhood where I grew up (no matter where they are fom originally), just sayin' - Also, LOVED how you changed prev. poster's name to "forevaNJ"

PS In What part of CLT does trippinjack live? He was FUNNY - Dont slam the door on us yet - we want in first - and will promise to keep the secret!!
Oh Eileen, good luck to you-lol. I hope it works out.

I like my new nickname as well, thanks Mickey is pretty clever

Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM

26 posts, read 52,486 times
Default Moved from NJ to Charlotte in June

My first priority when looking to move down were schools. I did a lot of research and found the best rated high school and middle school.(Be careful to find a good district first) I wanted to be in Providence HS and JM Robinson MS. My next priority was moving to an affordable community that had a pool, tennis courts and basketball. People may not agree with me but we moved to Willowmere. For 3 years I came down 3x/yr and checked out this community. It is not the newest (around 1999) but coming from NJ, that was practically new. My children have settled in nicely here, and there are a ton of kids here. (3 HS and 3 MS busses come in here). I too work from home and found EVERYTHING nearby. I love it here and I do not regret our decision to move south at all! Good luck.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM

123 posts, read 217,904 times
I wouldn't necessarily call South Charlotte uptight. I see alot of the same type people in South Charlotte as I did in the Scottsdale, AZ area, which is known for being very high-class and wealthy people. The people in South Charlotte try to act and dress the part, but just aren't as successful or convincing. Cookie cutter families where only the husband works. The wives generally dress up or wear their general uniform of yoga gear and work out daily at the Y. The children can be overheard telling their little friends, "My Mommy is working out with your Mommy today", like little robots. The women then meet afterwards at a restaurant where they can be "seen", sipping on non-sweet tea, in order not to gain back any of the calories they just have worked off. Most people tend to think they have lots of money and pretend they are not struggling because they can afford their YMCA dues (another place to be seen), but barely can afford to eat. Mommies dress their little girls in darling outfits, but the little girls are rail-thin. Everyone putting on the dog in South Charlotte. What is wrong with these young mothers today? Try staying at home, cooking for your family and saving some money so you don't have to pretend you have money. People in South Carlotte want to be perceived as one-up than everyone else. I guess you could say they are "uptight" and desperate to be noticed.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call South Charlotte uptight. I see alot of the same type people in South Charlotte as I did in the Scottsdale, AZ area, which is known for being very high-class and wealthy people. The people in South Charlotte try to act and dress the part, but just aren't as successful or convincing. Cookie cutter families where only the husband works. The wives generally dress up or wear their general uniform of yoga gear and work out daily at the Y. The children can be overheard telling their little friends, "My Mommy is working out with your Mommy today", like little robots. The women then meet afterwards at a restaurant where they can be "seen", sipping on non-sweet tea, in order not to gain back any of the calories they just have worked off. Most people tend to think they have lots of money and pretend they are not struggling because they can afford their YMCA dues (another place to be seen), but barely can afford to eat. Mommies dress their little girls in darling outfits, but the little girls are rail-thin. Everyone putting on the dog in South Charlotte. What is wrong with these young mothers today? Try staying at home, cooking for your family and saving some money so you don't have to pretend you have money. People in South Carlotte want to be perceived as one-up than everyone else. I guess you could say they are "uptight" and desperate to be noticed.
This statement is not directed at you personally but at your synopsis. How can you seriously make such a general statement? Charlotte is made up of people from everywhere. There is no particular life pattern for any one place, only typical behaviors typical of those of similar educational, financial status. What you wrote is obviously a sign of sour grapes and probably would not be written by one that has tried to blend into their new community. People should write what they feel is wrong with the city in an effort to discuss what could be done as improvements. When one choses to throw darts, they should at least give some realistic testimonials.

In you're first sentence you said that people in Charlotte aren't "uptight", yet you last sentences says they are. Which is it? Forget it, I don't want to know.

Last edited by Stella Artois; 01-19-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM

123 posts, read 217,904 times
You do want to know or you wouldn't have asked. First you say you do, then you don't. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sure you live right in the middle of Ballantyne. If anyone wants to know what South Charlotte is like, they can come take a look for themselves. I'm entilted to my opinion, whether you like it or not, Stella!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
Your assessment is 100% spot on. And it's not just south Charlotte either. This is the cancer of the metro area.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Your assessment is 100% spot on. And it's not just south Charlotte either. This is the cancer of the metro area.
But what is so sad about this, Coastalgirl . . . and let me know if you agree with me or not . . . the people that are being described are typically NOT natives. Now, maybe this makes no difference b/c the demographics have become what they have become, lol. You know what I mean? If the mommies at the Y act that way and they are the majority of women people will meet . . . then I guess it doesn't matter how long they have lived here or where they moved from (and brought their silly ideas). I guess if that is what the area is like - that is just the way it is. That is how it has become - filled with those types of faux Southerners, lol.

This is certainly not the way S. Charlotte was when I was growing up. Well, for one thing, it didn't even EXIST as it exists now - there was no "Ballantyne area" . . . that was just farmland.

Maybe it is b/c I am older (kids are all in their 20s and above now!) that I just don't see S. Charlotte the way others do - cause I simply am not in contact with the people Carmen described - and when I do see them, I dismiss their silliness immediately b/c I hear that "out of state" accent and I think - OMG - more of those pretenders.

I think it is important to note: The people in S. CLT with real wealth are not to be found working out at the Y. They are working out at their country clubs. Private Country Clubs. They are not into attracting attention from the masses - they want their anonymity and privacy. Their kids go to private schools, and not all here in Charlotte - some are in Prep schools out of state. And that is a fact. So that tells me right there . . . the pseudo fake wannebe Southerners from elsewhere that you see at McAllister's Deli are definitely just that: pretenders.

And please note: Ballantyne Country Club is for newcomers. So it doesn't count as far as "old Charlotte" society. Not being mean-spirited! I think that country club is beautiful and I sure wouldn't turn down a membership, lol!! I am just laying the facts out.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-20-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Lol, based on C-D, only two groups of people of exist in Charlotte - soccer moms and gangs. Not enough coastalgirls and carmen11s? yeah right.

Wanna see pretentious, try WASHINGTON, DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte