Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times

Advertisements

ani, I've noticed that a lot of times when someone makes a negative comment about Charlotte, you often try to clarify if that comment is the result of non-natives. You say things like "well if that's the majority of the people there, then I guess it doesn't matter," or claim that you really blame the city planners, but reading between the lines, it does often seem like you're blaming the transplants themselves, and I get the impression that you don't think a transplant's opinion matters as much as a native's opinion. Although actually your previous post here is one of the first I remember you making a clear negative statement about transplants, calling a large group of them "pseudo fake wannabe southerners," which seems like the same type of generalizing that natives think transplants make about them.

I agree with Big Aristotle, DC is probably the most pretentious city I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol, based on C-D, only two groups of people of exist in Charlotte - soccer moms and gangs. Not enough coastalgirls and carmen11s? yeah right.

Wanna see pretentious, try WASHINGTON, DC.

I didn't read this whole thread but the description of South Charlotte is hilarious...

A lot of times people make up these assumptions about people who are doing better then them so they can feel good about themselves. If people are truly happy with their simple lives why do the soccer moms get under their skin?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
ani, I've noticed that a lot of times when someone makes a negative comment about Charlotte, you often try to clarify if that comment is the result of non-natives. You say things like "well if that's the majority of the people there, then I guess it doesn't matter," or claim that you really blame the city planners, but reading between the lines, it does often seem like you're blaming the transplants themselves, and I get the impression that you don't think a transplant's opinion matters as much as a native's opinion. Although actually your previous post here is one of the first I remember you making a clear negative statement about transplants, calling a large group of them "pseudo fake wannabe southerners," which seems like the same type of generalizing that natives think transplants make about them.

I agree with Big Aristotle, DC is probably the most pretentious city I've been to.
Of course a transplants opinion of Charlotte doesn't matter as much as a natives. We are sucking the city dry of all it's precious resources...

drinking all the water and breathing all the air.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:52 AM

48 posts, read 109,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call South Charlotte uptight. I see alot of the same type people in South Charlotte as I did in the Scottsdale, AZ area, which is known for being very high-class and wealthy people. The people in South Charlotte try to act and dress the part, but just aren't as successful or convincing. Cookie cutter families where only the husband works. The wives generally dress up or wear their general uniform of yoga gear and work out daily at the Y. The children can be overheard telling their little friends, "My Mommy is working out with your Mommy today", like little robots. The women then meet afterwards at a restaurant where they can be "seen", sipping on non-sweet tea, in order not to gain back any of the calories they just have worked off. Most people tend to think they have lots of money and pretend they are not struggling because they can afford their YMCA dues (another place to be seen), but barely can afford to eat. Mommies dress their little girls in darling outfits, but the little girls are rail-thin. Everyone putting on the dog in South Charlotte. What is wrong with these young mothers today? Try staying at home, cooking for your family and saving some money so you don't have to pretend you have money. People in South Carlotte want to be perceived as one-up than everyone else. I guess you could say they are "uptight" and desperate to be noticed.
I live in Ballantyne. No, I am not a member of the Y, not because I am not "wealthy" enough (since when do you have to be wealthy to be a member of the Y?), but because I do my work out at home (ooops, yes, I admit I do work out). Yes, I enjoy having lunch with my friends from time to time, not because I want to be seen (by who exactly??) but because I love good food. Yes, - guilty again - my children are thin, not because I starve them to death but because they eat healthily and are active. Yes, I do dress up, if by dressing up you mean not wearing some saggy maternity pants and my husband's old t-shirts (all of them were great when I was 9 months pregnant by the way), and I have a feeling that it is exactly what you have in mind.

So if working out regularly, dressing up, enjoying good food and not feeding my children donuts and crisps all day long mean being "uptight", then I guess I am. But maybe you should take a look at the definition of "uptight".

I live in Ballantyne because I love it here. I am a foreigner and I am not pretending to be a southerner, and have never met anyone who is. People seem to be proud of who they are and where they're from. They live here because they enjoy all the things that Ballantyne has to offer: great schools, beautiful communities, good shopping and restaurants. Obviously it is not your cup of tea, and that's fine, but there is no need for this kind of general statement.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

Well. I have been misread or perhaps you are putting a context into my words that you WANT to be there.

First of all, if you had posted with me longer, you would know that almost all my close friends here are newcomers. But they are not mommies with kids in school. That is why I made that distinction. I have little experience with those mommies and how they act - I very rarely have an occasion to interact with them. All I know is what people have told me goes on in their neighborhoods (and I am speaking of NEWCOMERS and what they tell me about the way other NEWCOMERS act). I was responding to what others have said (on this thread) about these S CLT mommies and passing on what I have heard and what little I have personally observed.

And yes, there are many people who have moved here and think they are acting like Southerners and have acquired this crazy wannabe Southern thing that is not Southern at all. But as I said - I am not mingling with mommies at the Y b/c they are not my age group. I don't go to the Y.

I have NO PROBLEMS with newcomers at all and it really irks me that you would try to infer that I do. I am glad to see the expansion of retail and restaurants, in specific, wh/ has occurred precisely b/c of folks moving here. The PROBLEMS I see are squarely on the shoulders of city fathers. They did not handle the growth well and so we have problems with traffic and overloaded schools, for example.

You have completely misread my statement when I said that if what folks are seeing is pretentious folks in S. Charlotte, then it doesn't matter how much I try to describe it otherwise - it is what it is - and it is that way b/c of pretentious people who have moved here. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between snobbery and pretentiousness. S. Charlotte has always been an area for SNOBBERY but that is not pretentiousness. For one thing, people with real wealth are rarely interested in trying to impress anyone, because they do not have to! Hello! But we weren't discussing SNOBBERY, we were discussing PRETENTIOUSNESS. I will be glad to outline what it means to be a snob if you wish. And if you want to describe S. CLT as traditionally being a hang out for snobs, then I will agree with you - especially in regard to the NATIVES.

As for my calling a spade a spade, why on this god's green earth would you protest that? If they are fake wannabe Southerners, as obviously these folks ARE, then why pretend they are something else?

People who move here and are in MY AGE GROUP don't display this silliness, at least not in my experience. They have brought with them wonderful traditions that I have incorporated into my life. I do not see any of the pretentious behavior and only occasionally, some snobbery. I moved back here 9 years ago, and the people I found most interested in being friendly and creating friendships were the NEWCOMERS. Thus, other than my family members and some folks from high school and college, I have friends who are all NEWCOMERS from New York and New Jersey (and one from PA). Is that plain enough?

Last edited by brokensky; 01-20-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:18 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen11 View Post
You do want to know or you wouldn't have asked. First you say you do, then you don't. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sure you live right in the middle of Ballantyne. If anyone wants to know what South Charlotte is like, they can come take a look for themselves. I'm entilted to my opinion, whether you like it or not, Stella!
Yes you certainly are entitled to your opinion. I was just trying to help you out a bit. Sorry I struck a nerve. I welcome you to explain where I said, "I do, then I don't?" I just couldn't find the contradiction.

Last edited by Stella Artois; 01-20-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris10 View Post
I live in Ballantyne. No, I am not a member of the Y, not because I am not "wealthy" enough (since when do you have to be wealthy to be a member of the Y?), but because I do my work out at home (ooops, yes, I admit I do work out). Yes, I enjoy having lunch with my friends from time to time, not because I want to be seen (by who exactly??) but because I love good food. Yes, - guilty again - my children are thin, not because I starve them to death but because they eat healthily and are active. Yes, I do dress up, if by dressing up you mean not wearing some saggy maternity pants and my husband's old t-shirts (all of them were great when I was 9 months pregnant by the way), and I have a feeling that it is exactly what you have in mind.

So if working out regularly, dressing up, enjoying good food and not feeding my children donuts and crisps all day long mean being "uptight", then I guess I am. But maybe you should take a look at the definition of "uptight".

I live in Ballantyne because I love it here. I am a foreigner and I am not pretending to be a southerner, and have never met anyone who is. People seem to be proud of who they are and where they're from. They live here because they enjoy all the things that Ballantyne has to offer: great schools, beautiful communities, good shopping and restaurants. Obviously it is not your cup of tea, and that's fine, but there is no need for this kind of general statement.
You sound like the women I know who have moved here, are quite happy here, are not trying to impress anyone - and are just trying to live a quality life - like most of us.

I don't know if one would label it "snobbery" or not . . . I personally see it as a matter of self respect, but I, too, don't appear in public unless I am well put together and don't think any of us should have to apologize for doing so, lol.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well. I have been misread or perhaps you are putting a context into my words that you WANT to be there.

First of all, if you had posted with me longer, you would know that almost all my close friends here are newcomers. But they are not mommies with kids in school. That is why I made that distinction. I have no idea about those mommies and how they act - I very rarely have an occasion to interact with them. All I know is what people have told me goes on in their neighborhoods (and I am speaking of NEWCOMERS and what they tell me about the way other NEWCOMERS act). I was responding to what others have said (on this thread) about these S CLT mommies and passing on what I have heard and what little I have personally observed.

And yes, there are many people who have moved here and think they are acting like Southerners and have acquired this crazy wannabe Southern thing that is not Southern at all. But as I said - I am not mingling with mommies at the Y b/c they are not my age group. I don't go to the Y.

I have NO PROBLEMS with newcomers at all and it really irks me that you would try to infer that I do. I am glad to see the expansion of retail and restaurants, in specific, wh/ has occurred precisely b/c of folks moving here. The PROBLEMS I see are squarely on the shoulders of city fathers. They did not handle the growth well and so we have problems with traffic and overloaded schools, for example.

You have completely misread my statement when I said that if what folks are seeing is pretentious folks in S. Charlotte, then it doesn't matter how much I try to describe it otherwise - it is what it is - and it is that way b/c of pretentious people who have moved here. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between snobbery and pretentiousness. S. Charlotte has always been an area for SNOBBERY but that is not pretentiousness. For one thing, people with real wealthy are rarely interested in trying to impress anyone, because they do not have to! Hello! But we weren't discussing SNOBBERY, we were discussing PRETENTIOUSNESS. I will be glad to outline what it means to be a snob if you wish.

As for my calling a spade a spade, why on this god's green earth would you protest that? If they are fake wannabe Southerners, as obviously these folks ARE, then why pretend they are something else?

People who move here and are in MY AGE GROUP don't display this silliness, at least not in my experience. They have brought with them wonderful traditions that I have incorporated into my life. I do not see any of the pretentious behavior and only occasionally, some snobbery. I moved back here 9 years ago, and the people I found most interested in being friendly and creating friendships were the NEWCOMERS. Thus, other than my family members, I have friends who are all NEWCOMERS from New York and New Jersey (and one from PA). Is that plain enough?
You always say things better than I could. I do notice that the majority of people who act pretentiously are transplants, but I know some natives who act the same way. Difference being exactly what you described- the natives aren't exclusive, just putting on a show to keep up w/the joneses.

I think the attitude comes from two places: transplants who couldn't afford anything back home are now more comfortable, and it's simply the culture of Charlotte. Maybe it's a spinoff of what I think you are explaining as far as true southerners go...if that makes any sense.

I also try to avoid commenting on it here, lest I get the typical answer that feltdesigner provided. Just to clarify, I am very happy with my life and current situation, regardless of where I live. I am not jealous of fake people. That doesn't make them any less obnoxious to live around.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM

763 posts, read 821,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

I didn't read this whole thread but the description of South Charlotte is hilarious...

A lot of times people make up these assumptions about people who are doing better then them so they can feel good about themselves. If people are truly happy with their simple lives why do the soccer moms get under their skin?
We don't always agree, but you are spot on here.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
We don't always agree, but you are spot on here.
Based on your agreement I can assume you are unhappy with your life and want to be more like me. Sound about right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte