Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:34 PM

48 posts, read 111,393 times

Advertisements

not sure if this is the right forum but here goes; i am going to be working at the VA hospital in Salisbury and wondered what the area is like, where are decent places to rent(apt./house/condo)? places to avoid?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,638 times
My Brother in Law works there as well. Good place to work, but I am iffy on the area. My sis and him have a family there and I think found one of the nicer areas. If you are single and looking for some nightlife etc, I would live in North Meck and commute. You will be going against traffic most of the time, so I would try the Concord area and some decent apts there. Will you have on-call restrictions?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Salisbury

as far as i know there are no on call restrictions. i am doing this as a travel nurse for 13 weeks. thanks for the info.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:24 PM

With no restrictions for on-call then yes.. I would surely look in North Meck/North Charlotte Area. It takes me less than 30 minutes to get from the University area (85 and WtHarris) Exit 45 to Downtown Salsbury. Exit 76 I think. You can get some hold up around the Mills, so if you got on the other side of Speedway (49?) you would save some more time. This will also allow y ou to be 15-20 minutes from uptown. and 5 minutes from Concord Mills. I do NOT recommend getting an apt around 85 and WT Harris, if you like Harris, check further west towards Sugar Creek. You can also get one around 77 and WT harris, and take the back route into Salsbury, which is a nice alternative, as 85 can have many big trucks. (if you don't like driving with 18 wheelers 85 is not for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Salisbury

not sure if traffic will be a problem as i will be working 8p-8:30a once off orientation. after driving in charleston, s.c. on the I26 free-for-all highway and living in n.j. half my driving life, traffic/18 wheelers are a breeze. more concerned with safety, have 2 dogs that i will have to walk if i don't get a yard.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:36 PM

well then.. welcome to Charlotte.. but Salsbury is kind of neat to visit..

Old 09-05-2007, 11:50 AM

55 posts, read 190,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwoman2u View Post
not sure if this is the right forum but here goes; i am going to be working at the VA hospital in Salisbury and wondered what the area is like, where are decent places to rent(apt./house/condo)? places to avoid?
thanks

There are some decent places to live in Salisbury as well. I would look into the new condos off Jake Alexander Bvld. that probably have short term leases available. Why mess with an hour commute every day when you don't need to? You could live in Salisbury and travel to Charlotte, Winston Salem, Greensboro in under an hour or Asheville in two. It would cost you less to live in Salisbury, save you time during the week and give you the flexibility to go where you want on the weekends with the rent money you save...

I bet you can find at least 95% of the daily amenities you have now in Salisbury without the headache of a major metro area like Charlotte.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:52 AM

When is it an hour commute from Concord to Salsibury? Even at 800am it was 30 minutes.. at 8pm it should be 20.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 AM

55 posts, read 190,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
When is it an hour commute from Concord to Salsibury? Even at 800am it was 30 minutes.. at 8pm it should be 20.
I was referring to total time in car, both going to and returning home from work.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,812 times
Takes me forty five from Salisbury to Concord (far side country)... but also, it takes fifteen minutes to get to and from the expressway from the VA. Also, plan plenty of extra time to park ~ The VA lots are terrible until you know where to go. During orientation you shouldn't have a problem if you get there a little early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte