Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,922,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgucci View Post
I spent 25 years in central Florida and agree with bandibadji. Publix is good but it's not better than the stores we already have here (HT & Lowes). When my mom moved up here last year she kept saying the only thing she was going to miss was Publix. Ask her today if she misses it and she says, "No way!" Anyone that's watching their money can buy so much more here with the sales and the double coupons. Publix has such a stronghold in Florida that in many areas they are the only show in town and can charge accordingly. But they did make killer sandwiches!
They really did a pretty good Cuban sandwich. It actually tasted somewhat authentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,464,691 times
The thing I miss about Publix is Boar's Head lunch meats. It is what made those Publix subs great.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,045,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
The thing I miss about Publix is Boar's Head lunch meats. It is what made those Publix subs great.
That's why I go to Lowes.

They sell Boars Head

Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 AM

82 posts, read 235,838 times
I know! Boars Head meat is the best and I think Lowes is the only chain that sells it around here.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,922,295 times
I am not bothered or joyed by boar's head. I know that it is a northern thing and somewhat a newcomer to the south, but like someone mentioned in an earlier thread, put on a blindfold and you'd never know the difference. Yes, I bet you!!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 AM

221 posts, read 726,345 times
Question Publix cake......can you help me make one?

We just celebrated my little one's 3 birthday and I baked her a cake. Box mix and icing. In Florida, I would have order a cake from Publix (marble with whipped topping) as they were our favorite. Well, now another Bday is coming up, and the family misses our old cakes. Does anyone have any idea of how to make the whipped topping from Publix? I can whip up some heavy cream, but there must be something else that they put in it.

For Thanksgiving we are headed up to the mountains and will definalty stop at the Publix in Spartenburg, but the Bday is before then. Just as an FYI, the last time we went to Spartenburg Publix, whipped topping is a special order so you have to call ahead to have them make it. Any insight is appreciated!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,668,124 times
Im in Savannah right now and coming back on Thursday if you would like I could stop in a Publix and bring it up for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti1042 View Post
We just celebrated my little one's 3 birthday and I baked her a cake. Box mix and icing. In Florida, I would have order a cake from Publix (marble with whipped topping) as they were our favorite. Well, now another Bday is coming up, and the family misses our old cakes. Does anyone have any idea of how to make the whipped topping from Publix? I can whip up some heavy cream, but there must be something else that they put in it.

For Thanksgiving we are headed up to the mountains and will definalty stop at the Publix in Spartenburg, but the Bday is before then. Just as an FYI, the last time we went to Spartenburg Publix, whipped topping is a special order so you have to call ahead to have them make it. Any insight is appreciated!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 AM

509 posts, read 1,806,740 times
Are the Publix cakes with whipped topping that different from the Harris Teeter or Bi Lo or Super Target ones? (Serious question - I don't know - we only go to Publix when visitng my parents in Beaufort SC and it's never a cake occasion)

Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 AM

144 posts, read 404,901 times
you should try the lowes foods in mint hill. They do a lot of wedding cakes so they must be good.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,045,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti1042 View Post
I can whip up some heavy cream, but there must be something else that they put in it.

:
Being honest you probably do not want to know what is in the whipped topping, lets just say it's not very healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte