Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Wouldn't ya just kill to be the dude that came up with these?!?!
Ya, I thought of it it seems 7 years ago, but I think of lots of cool things I never put into action. I have another one that if someone whats to invest in, I only want 25%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I loved Redbox...hardly ever pay for movies Inside Redbox | Redbox Codes, Redbox News, DVD Rental News, Free DVD Rentals click on "promo codes". You can use each code once per credit card, so if you have a few, use em. You can thank McDonald's for the Redboxes. There is a redbox conveniently located OUTSIDE of the new Petro Expess in Tega Cay. I love how you can returm dvd's to ANY redbox.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:26 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
Coming from FL, I can tell you that I do miss Publix, but mostly because of the prices. I was in shock when I moved here & saw the price of food. I shop wherever it is convenient. It just so happens that there is a HT on almost every corner, so that is where I go the most, though I do like Lowe's and the new super BiLo. I wouldn't drive out of my way to shop at a Publix on a regular basis, but if it was convenient, I would definitely stop there, as I think other former Floridians would.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Wegman's came in here. It's not my cup of tea.

I'm more interested in how Publix compares to Pathmark or Giant (the one from DC) for comparison purposes for people originally from the mid-Atlantic. How about Meijer, for people from some areas of the midwest? (even Kroger, as I'm also familiar with them)
Hi S/B, I'm familiar with Jersey's Pathmark and DC's Giant. Publix is not like either one. They are more like the old A&P's without the good coffee. But, I'll take them as any competition is good.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,980,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanley View Post
One word: Wegmans?

That would be awesome!!!
For those of you who have not seen a Wegmans, it makes the finest HarrisTeeters look like a Piggly Wiggly. (and I'm big on the pig) Their prices are no higher than H/T and their selections are amazing. They have one whole isle of just tea bags! The meats range from regular beef and chicken to aged filet and free range fresh cornish hens. The bakery is the size of a small Publix store, and the seafood dept has the biggest lobster tails I've ever seen. There is something for anyone doing their weekly shopping and anyone throwing a lush dinner party that same evening.
OK, I'll stop!!! I do think they would shake up the corporate HQ at Teeters though.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
As for the person who said Publix would blow HT out of the water...I say you crazy!

Harris Teeter is on every corner. You think people will drive past 5 Harris Teeters (which they have been going to for 50 years) to go to an out of the way Publix?

Isn't that what people said about Lowes Food? Whenever I go in the Lowes in the Prominade, it is generally empty (especially compared to the HT across the street).

Sure, Publix may do well in certain locations where people are not entrenched to HT, but all in all, I think you find it hard for people to switch from their loyal HT to a similar store in Publix.

Umm, that's not what I'm saying. OBVIOUSLY, if there are five HT to one Publix, HT would do better, no kidding. They put an Publix across the street from a HT, Publix would make more money. Quality, variety and price, Publix wins out over HT. People may well be loyal to HT, it doesn't make them the best supermarket. IF there were equal stores, publix would bury HT.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Hi S/B, I'm familiar with Jersey's Pathmark and DC's Giant. Publix is not like either one. They are more like the old A&P's without the good coffee. But, I'll take them as any competition is good.
Thanks, Doorway! Funny you should say A&P, since they bought Pathmark.

I picked Pathmark because they're a lot like Giant in DC & Meijer in the midwest, so more non-natves of Charlotte & people planning the move could compare.

Pathmark carries all of the Cuban/hispanic products that are mentioned in the thread. the Badio spices, bread, etc.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
They put an Publix across the street from a HT, Publix would make more money. Quality, variety and price, Publix wins out over HT.
You should do stand up.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I go to many different grocery stores, from HT to Lowes to Food Lion to Trader Joe's and Fresh Market. They all have something different to offer. The more the better, I think. Specials help lower my overall grocery bill. I would love to see another grocery store here.
And they all run different specials..

Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
You should do stand up.

[Groucho Marks]Why, I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse.[/Groucho Marks]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte